• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Getting Married in the Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonysmithii

Okay Guys, here's the deal. I recently got engaged. Now, my fiance will graduate with her bachelors degree in May '04. Meanwhile, I graduate this May and since having my OCS date bumped, head down there on Oct 4th. While we're not looking to get married right away, definitely not until after she has graduated, I am wondering how you can plan a wedding without knowing anything. Either on this site or another, I've heard people say that they had DI's say wings before rings. I personally don't want to wait that long, but will if it's necessary. But really, how do you plan something like a wedding, or even set a date while in the process of earning those coveted wings of gold. No one has really been able to answer this for me and I didn't see anything in the old topics on the subject. I know that many of you are married and appreciate any help you can give me on the subject.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Anthony. I cant answer your questions but I can thank you, for I will probably be in a similar cituation some day. I want to be a naval aviator, but I want my wife to be happy and successful too. I'll keep a look on the topic. Thanks again.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

kaiangel

You are your own man. It's nice for other people to give advice, but take it with a grain of salt. Once you are out of OCS, no one can tell you what to do with your personal life. If you want to get married, then by all means do it. I got married while in the Navy (enlisted) and now my wife and kids are moving with me to flight school. Just stay focused on your goal and you will do just fine.

anthonysmithii

Okay, I understand about no one telling me what to do with my personal life. I guess my biggest question is how to plan a wedding and set a date while away. Actually, forget the planning, but she's waiting on me to pick a date and I don't know what to tell her. My fiance wants to get started with all the planning and making reservations, but I don't know how viable picking a date is at this time. I mean, how far into my training do I have to wait in order to request leave for a date a good way into the future? While training, since you will be at different locations in varying timeframes depending upon the pipeline you are on, how can you go about this. I guess I'm really curious about picking a date. My fiance is from St. Louis and wants to be married there. So, picking a date and being able to stick to it is important. I want her to have the wedding she wants, so I want to set a date that we can count on. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

s_aslam

I can understand your concern and frustration. My fiance goes to OCS on Feb 22 2003 and has a SNA slot. I am planning our smaller military wedding in Southern CA for July 4, 2003. He also wants me to have the wedding that I want. I know that we will not be even in the same state, as I am staying in CA while he goes to P-cola, FL, for some time. I do know, however, that he will get that holiday day off. Right now, though, I am keeping my focus on making sure he and our home is in order with him leaving for OCS.

I'm sure you will find a date that suits you both. I'm not sure how big of a wedding you're planning on, but a wedding can be pulled together in much less than one year. Yes, even from different states. As we are now realizing there will be time inbetween OCS to IFS, IFS to API, and API to primary. Even though we're not sure how much time, and where that time will be spent.

Some questions you may want to suggest she thinks about are: How big of a wedding she wants? Is she willing to honeymoon at a later time, or for only a weekend? If she's worried about timing to secure a reception site, has she thought about someone's home?

Please feel free for either of you to email me: stephanie@theaslams.com

Stephanie

Kim

In my experience during training they discourage getting married. If it's in the middle of training that don't give you much time off, if any. If you can get married between schools that would work but it is difficult to predict. During training however you should get a couple weeks of at Christmas time, Thanksgiving and of course the other government holidays that offer a long weekend. Intermediates for helos, and P-3s seemed to be a little more flexible since most of your flights are done on a cross country. I don't know if waiting until you get your wings would help since you then have to go to the FRS, and then could be off to sea. If you can do without a honeymoon, you'll be fine, otherwise aim for Christmas time. Good luck.

Jeff

Really its not that bad, I just got married a few months ago and I am in the middle of jet training. They didnt give me a hard time about it or anything, but you have to be willing to day fly home thursday night and be back for work on monday, which is what I originally was approved for but when the time came they gave me a few more days. You wont be able to set a date until you get somewhere that you know you will be when you want to get married. We picked a date not long after I moved here knowing I'ld be here for a year and gave ops a six months heads up and they said no problem we cab give you atleast Friday through Sunday and well see about more when the time comes. Now you will get Christmas leave every year in training and that is split into two groups one for Christmas and one New Years each like 9 or 10 days, so if you want to set a date this early then you'll have to set it for the holidays. Good Luck with it all though.

AndysGirl

SNA Wife
Thanks for all the info! My boyfriend is going through OCS and is SNA. We plan on getting married and I have been left to the planning. I was a bit concerned about it, since we won't know for sure where we will be, if I should try to have it in my home state, and so on. I don't want to make things too complicated, but at the same time want it done to my standard. Keep the advice coming, it will be greatly appreciated!

Go Navy

Valion310

When I got married in the Navy, I was stationed in Jacksonville Fl and my fiance at the time was in P-cola. We figured out when a good time for me to take as much leave as I could would be, and that is how we got the date. Then, she did what I suppose is the traditional thing to do and her and her family planned it. I just heard what was going on over the long phone conversations and the many hours she sat crying to me about the stress. (You girls are braver than me, I wouldn't try that logistical night mare! LOL ) I just showed up to say "I do" and shake hands at the reception after ward. And when all was said and done, we still had 15 days to make the honeymoon and move her to Jacksonville where I had to report directly back into my squadron.

One thing you will learn VERY quickly, especially in the Aviation community is flexability. My phrase for it has always been "Flexability is the key to success." It might be wise to work up 2 to 3 senerio's of when you can take 20 to 30 days leave, and go from there. And if everything is as backed up right now down at API, Primary and so on as I hear from here on AW and through the grape vine of my friends back in the fleet and P-cola. You should have no trouble finding time off before you class up at API, but I'll let the guys down there speak for that.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Valion310 didn't like the 7-11 salad he just ate!
yuck_125.gif

AndysGirl

SNA Wife
I know that the Navy preaches the whole wings before rings thing, but do they frown on people who try to get married as soon as possible? Or are they willing to work with you?

Go Navy

JenniH

Jennifer
My husband and I have been married 4+ years before he started OCS. No one has been discouraging in anyway. In fact, the PSD (personnel) office and Family Service office have been very helpful. And my husband appreciates that I am with him 100%. He has more purpose in what he does...knowing that he's taking care of his family and his country. There is a wait between OCS and flight training. If you don't have your pilots license after OCS you have 60 days to complete that and then there can be a wait after API. Don't sweat it...talk to the right people and they will let you know a good time line.

"Whether you think you can or cannot, you are probably right." -Henry Ford

www.Fly-Navy.com

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
I know there are lots of people on here who could benifit from anyone's own experiences and/or insights...thanks for sharing!

AndysGirl

SNA Wife
I am glad that they are not discouraging! I will have all summer to get information together, since we will be waiting for API to start.

Go Navy

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
Hi, I'm in the same boat. My boyfriend will be leaving for OCS in January, we were planning on getting married in October of 2004. By that time he should be in the middle of Primary - how difficult is it for him to get a Friday off? And then, what happens to me? After the wedding, I am planning on staying home, while he finishes up Primary, because I'm expecting that his housing situation isn't going to be changed because he got married in the middle. Am I correct to assume this? I am completely unsure of what to expect, having never dealt with military life before! Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jennifer

adam

SNA, VT-21
I finished OCS in November and was married December 28th. We were able to plan the wedding and about 9 months ahead of time, which allowed time for most of our friends and family to make plans to be there, and best of all we were able to spend a full week in the carribean for a honeymoon. At least while you are in training, the holiday break in December is the best time to get married because all of the training commands typically have a standown that lasts from before Christmas until after the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.