• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

QDR to Nix 2 CSGs

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We've gone through dis kine' retrenchment before in the post-WW2 era ....

We had Truman ... then we had Eisenhower ...

We had Johnson ... then we had Nixon ...

We had Carter ... then we had Reagan ...

We -- the USN -- WILL SURVIVE.

But just to be on the safe side, start praying for an 'early' 2010 and 2012 ...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think that cut was to pay for the TVs at KSUU's base ops: Plasma screens showing current NOTAMs and weather advisories = effective stewardship of taxpayer dollars :(

Don't forget solar powered flashing red LED lights on stop signs at the end of deadly 50-300 yard long stretches of 25mph road...

Bevo16

pilot
How do they justify cutting the mileage rate?

Gas isn't cheaper. Tires have not gotten cheaper. Did tolls go down? Nope.

Since when does congress have to justify fucking us in the ass?

Besides, if you didn't trade in your clunker, it's your own fucking fault. You were warned.

jtmedli

pilot

But just to be on the safe side, start praying for an 'early' 2010 and 2012 ...

I started praying for that around..ehh..2008!!

I don't get it. Obama just spent 30 minutes in Norway telling the world to get off their butts and fight the wars because they're a necessary evil, but yet we're going to keep axing programs and budget we need to fight them? Am I missing something here?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I started praying for that around..ehh..2008!!

I don't get it. Obama just spent 30 minutes in Norway telling the world to get off their butts and fight the wars because they're a necessary evil, but yet we're going to keep axing programs and budget we need to fight them? Am I missing something here?

it's a very very NUANCED discussion....and evidently WE just wouldn't understand it. ;)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Every time I talk to my family and old friends from college and high school, they, for the most part, always tell me how lucky I am to have such a secure job/source of income...

But for some reason I never quite feel it's that secure... Really just reinforces how 'bad' the times are, when even the 'secure' jobs aren't that secure...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I would like to see a no shit intelligence brief of our air superiority capabilities compared to anyone else in the world. Do we really need the F-22, or even the JSF for that matter?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
One thing I found interesting in reading the link is the "two front war" philosophy that has guided our defense budget since WWII.

The reason I find it intersting is the QDR notes that A) prior to WWII, we did not follow such a doctrine and managed to win that war and B) it's extremely unlikely that we find ourselves in that kind of situation anytime in the near future.

This is where the logic for the cuts is coming from.

Raptor2216

I would like to see a no shit intelligence brief of our air superiority capabilities compared to anyone else in the world. Do we really need the F-22, or even the JSF for that matter?

Do we need the JSF? I guess we don't really need it. I mean we can just wait till the wings fall off the hornets...they are only minor cracks right now...at least on the green side.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. Why? A fair fight is one where all my troops and all my friends come home safe.

Fuck the other side. Within the bounds of all applicable rules of armed conflict, of course.

War is not a sport.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Do we need the JSF? I guess we don't really need it. I mean we can just wait till the wings fall off the hornets...they are only minor cracks right now...at least on the green side.

I guess I mean why did we spend all that money and time producing and building the Raptor/JSF, when we could have used existing assembly lines to pump out more F-15's and Rhinos?

jtmedli

pilot

Yes we need the F-22 and JSF. Hornets, Strike Eagles, and Vipers won't last forever (a lot of them are already 20+ years old). The problem is that we don't need them 'RIGHT NOW' so we're gonna shoot ourselves in the foot by canceling the perfectly good replacements and holdout for their 'skynet alternatives' or whatever replacement might be around 10 years from now when it hits us that we should have bought the planes when we had the chance.

The problem is, and always has been, letting ourselves fall behind the curve with complacency like we did ~70 years ago with the P-40 vs Jap Zero or vs the ME-262. No telling how many B-17 crews could have been saved if we had gotten on the horse (sorry for the pun) and realized we needed something like the P-51 Mustang earlier.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I guess I mean why did we spend all that money and time producing and building the Raptor/JSF, when we could have used existing assembly lines to pump out more F-15's and Rhinos?

Hell why don't we just fly corsairs off of Essex class carriers? They worked well at the time

jtmedli

pilot

They're great planes, but innovation must continue. Read my post above. We could have built more P-40s but what good would that have done us? I hate to be bearer of bad news, but the war on terror won't be the last one we fight and our next enemy might have something a little better than an AK or RPG.