• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Push ups Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Shit, thats all you have to do?

I can do a mile in like 6:50 and im pretty sure I could do 50 pushups in less than a minute. What about pullups though? I can only do around 10 dead-hangs.

Hey, I have a good 5 years to get ready still:)

JTP

I can't believe that this subject has filled up 2 pages of replies in a day.

This is sad. Im with Davinci, get out and get in shape.

YEAH COME ON!!

gt0767a

Marko - On the OCS webpage there is a place to email questions. I would email the IN-PRT question to them, it is an officer at OCS who answers them and will give you the correct information.

As for the shape you should be in going to OCS: Strive to be above the mins, but don't knock those who aren't. I worked my butt prior to going and still missed the IN-PRT by 3 seconds. I made my out with a little time to spare and there were others like me who scored well into the outstanding range and came in with the mins. It will be A LOT easier on you if you are well above the minimums, but if you are just at the mins don't worry, you will improve while you are there. What you need to worry about is stretching good and limbering up your muscles, tendons, etc., and conditioning your shins. Injuries is what really gets people, at least it did with my class.

patbrown08

The In-PFA typically has a 10% failure rate, that is why they asked the recruiters to raise the bar on the PRT they give for applicants. The director of OCS had a meeting with a bunch from NRC while I was a candi-O at OCS. If you go down to OCS having only done the bare minimum or a little over it for your recruiter you will have problems, here is why:
1) You will get significantly less rest than you are used to the 2 days prior to your In-PFA. A couple of reasons for this, you will be sleeping in open-bay barracks with a lot of other people. You will be getting up several times a night to go to the bathroom, because you will be drinking more water than you ever thought was possible, and you will stand all day long.
2) You will be experiencing a level of stress that you can't possibly anticipate. This is mostly self induced. You will be nervous, anxious, and scared. Trust me, I had 10 years in the Navy before I got there, and my first several days were nerve racking. And the candi-O's will be jerks to you because they believe it is their right since it happened to them.
3) If you are not used to the temperature and humidity it will be a huge factor, especially in the summer months.
4) The recruiter is not going to be as strict on the form required as they are going to be when you perform your In-PFA at OCS. This gets a lot of people who are told to stop before they are burnt out, because they take their hands off their chest during situps or raise their butts during pushups. Get a copy from your recruiter of the Instruction for the PFA and make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. You have to get your upper arm parallel with the ground when you go down and lock your elbows out when you go up. They will tell your counter not to count a rep if they see you didn't do it correctly.
- There is no pull-up in the Navy PFA, that is a marine thing.
And when you do start PT with the rest of the regiment, it is advisable to stretch on your own in your room before you go down and form up for PT. Stress Fractures are very common in OCS.
Pat

Chris D

Hi, I've been reading this board for awhile--as far as I can tell, it's become the #1 source for OCS information. I have a humble question or two about the physical training at OCS.

My application is being looked at now, and I've passed the initial PRT. At OCS, the in-PRT minimum is Satisfactory - Marginal, and the minimum out-PRT requirement is excellent-low? So if you blow one of the two-game over?

Status
Not open for further replies.