• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Push ups Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

I go to OCS on May 18 and push ups are killing me. I can do 45 in 2 minutes and that is it. Will I be able to increase to 71 if I am able to get up to about 55 by the 18th. Also my recruiter told me it is ok to do pushups with my elbows tucked in close to my body, is this true? Any further info on push ups would be appritiated.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I have found that practicing some raised-feet pushups helps. When I say raised-feet, I mean putting your feet on a step or bench or something about 12-20 inches off the ground so it forces most of your body weight on to the upper part of your body (arms and shoulders).

These types of pushups are more difficult, but if you're looking to whip your ass into shape they will help...
After doing these for a couple weeks, the normal pushups won't seem as hard.

DB

Thanks for the info. Is the In PRT still 37 push ups like the book said that my recruiter gave me. I will try those foot elevated push up. By the way my current push up rutine has been doing about 150 in sets of 25.

patbrown08

The In-PRT is still 37 pushups, depending on your age. You can do the pushups with your elbows tucked in or out. The only difference is what muscles get emphasized. You are not allowed to move your hands or feet once you get started. So if you start with your hands in close then you are going to have to keep that form. That is the letter of the law, but ...., Also, try doing pushups several times during the day when you are watching the tube or in between web pages or Air Warrior posts. This allows you to do more total pushups throughout the day and will rapidly build up your muscle endurance. It is a lot more effective than doing 1 or 2 sets at night or in the morning. Also, you will improve while you are at OCS, but you still will have to work on your own during the evening and weekends. And you will get to do the PRT every wednesday while you are there to monitor your performance.
Pat

Marko

For the in PRT the minimum amount of pushups is still 37. Michael you may be refering to the new standards that are going to be implemented in october. Here is the link to the ocs web page with the current standards.
http://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/ocs_phystraining.htm

leonsparx

having a hell of a time with pushups myself. i followed the recommended pre-ocs regimen to the letter, made excellent progress on situps (started at 46, just broke 80 last week). but the push-up routine they recommend is a sham, in my opinion.

i got to the point i could do 40 pushups in 30 seconds but after that, NADA. i was fried. i agree with the previous poster: to maximize the number of reps you can do in 2 minutes, _do 2-minute sets_.

now is it true that on the PRT you must support yourself fully for the 2-minutes (ie no kneeling)? this seems like an impossible goal at this point--the hardest part for me is staying up for that long.

Shepherd

DB,

While you aren't going to become an Outstanding PRT'er in 18 days, there are a few adjustments you could make to ensure you pass the in-prt. First, you should not have more than 30 seconds rest in between those push-up sets. Focus on form. Second, the push-ups should be PART of your workout routine (anywhere from 3-5 days a week) including your curl-ups, bench press, bent over rows, dips, and maybe some front deltoid raises and bicep curls for good measure. All working to temporary muscle failure. 18 days is a tough time frame to ensure preparedness, but you will improve (maybe just enough) if you incorporate a high level of intensity with these exercises. You never know what you're capable of when your back is against the wall.

A posteriori

DB

Michael Webb,
Thanks for the heads up on the new requirements. They way I understand it, is that your overall PRT score is what ever your lowest single event is. Is this in effect right now or does this go in to effect in October?

Marko

Sorry to be knit picky but I am trying to find out more info on this change in PRT at OCS. I spoke with my rec today and he did say that they changed the amount for the application or the pre-application prt, but that the min at OCS was still the same as listed on the web. Does any one know where I can find out the current info? The OCS page was updated on 4/17 but may be wrong?

RotorResQ

Spidrwmn,

The Navy currently does the PFA (thats what they are calling it now) the way you just stated, lowest score is your overall score. In Oct the regs are changing to a point system where they will average each event. Also instead of going by 10 yr age increments they are going back to 5 year increments. This means that a 27 year old won't have to do as much as a 17 year old to get an outstanding. I believe the first increment goes from 17 to 25 and then from there it changes every 5 years but I may be mistaken on that part.

Chris

"To hover is devine."

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the question I have...
How is it that there are so many failures on the IN-PFA? Shouldn't people be in reasonable shape to start? What happens when you start doing morning runs and yet can't go the distance? Are you going to be a run-drop and get it in the van? You have to love Saturdays...

Status
Not open for further replies.