• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pull Up/Chin Up method

Pull Up Method

• Total voters

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Palms Out pullups still use biceps to some degree, but the mechanics of the position make it much more of a lat workout. Palms In is the opposite, mostly biceps, a little bit of lats.

I know that from personal experience, but I also have a source: Bodybuilding.com maybe isn't definitive, but it is full of guys who know exercises. Pullups. and Chin-Ups.

I know that. I was just saying you can't totally cut out the biceps. The reason for less bicep usage on the palms-out method is that your wrists are twisted in such a way as to negate much of the biceps lifting power and they can't contract with the same amount of force as efficiently.

Raczak, how do you like cross-fit? I've heard many positive reviews.

Rasczak

Marine
I'm loving it man. The workouts seem really insane at first, but once you start doing them, you get used to them. There are still some that boggle the mind, but they're doable.
I actually came across this the other day,
http://navyseals.com/crossfit-workout-day

which is just a bit harder than the stuff at crossfit.com

Ground&Pound

Right now I can do about 21 inboard pull ups and 15 outboard. I'm 231 lbs but inboard have always been easier for some reason.

mc282000

I can get about 28-30 with palms in, around 23-25 palms out. Of course I only weigh 165 so I'm sure that helps a bit.

Once you can get 10+ its time to start strapping extra weight to your waist.

Update!!!! I just hit 21 today:D. Ryan couldn't be more right on. I was sitting at 15/16 about a month ago, bought an Ironman weight vest and here I am at 21. I started with 20 lbs doing 4 sets of max reps and then took the vest off to do 4 more sets of max reps Mon - Fri (don't forget your three sets of max pushups in the morning). I did this for 2 weeks and then raised the weight to 30 lbs and started mixing back in the armstrong program by doing it after my weighted sets.

If you're stuck in the 'teens, I'd suggest getting a weight vest or belt.

By the way, I do chin ups (inboard) and only weigh 160lbs sopping wet.

ftrooper

pilot
max pullups

There's a billion ways to improve your pullups, more weight, diff techniques, but here's the key. DO LOTS OF PULLUPS. Everytime you pass a bar, knock a few out. I had a pipe that ran across the ceiling of my room in college, it was large enough to support my weight, I'd do a set of 10, hop off, do 5 more, and then get back up there and knock out 5 more. That's 20 total, pretty soon I did my ten, didn't let go, did 5 more, and then 5 more. Guess how I do PFTs now? 10, hang for a sec, 5, hang a sec, 5 more, and then do a few to show off. That's worked just fine for me. Congrats on the 21.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just don't switch grips in the middle. I've never seen anyone try that and get any more. They usually just fall off while trying to swap grips.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I switch grips and always get about 2 more, it's kind of a 50/50 thing, I don't always do it. Sometimes my grip is weak and I can tell I couldn't. Post TBS, your grip will be incredible, and I could get an extra 4 easy.

Pull-ups or Chin-ups? Are we working out for the PFT or doing it? I do both when lifting at the gym, but doing the PFT, I always do Pull-ups. I'm tall as hell and have always found it more difficult to lock my arms out doing Chin-ups, and since I trained to this prior to OCS, that's how I've always done them.

All the little <155 guys at OCS can do 20 pull-ups, and at the time I couldn't, but you'll get your revenge at TBS when you carry your gear and they don't.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
the most I've done was 22 pull ups (outboard) but they only counted 18 (which i think is BS) but that was a while ago. Im starting to get ready to go back to OCS (lucky #3) and when i do my pull ups, im swinging. what do you guys do to prevent swinging?

FLY_USMC

pilot
At OCS, the guy behind you will put his arm out to prevent the swinging if you start, so don't worry.

mc282000

the most I've done was 22 pull ups (outboard) but they only counted 18 (which i think is BS) but that was a while ago. Im starting to get ready to go back to OCS (lucky #3) and when i do my pull ups, im swinging. what do you guys do to prevent swinging?

I do mine inboard, so I'm not sure if this will apply to you or not, but, what I do is try to focus on keeping my heels as close to my butt as possible. I still start to swing after 3-5 reps, but the swinging counteracts itself at about 7-8 reps and goes away. The swinging will come back after a few reps, but will go right away again. Basically this keeps the swinging from getting out of control and breaking your rythm. For me, rythm is key becuase if I stop to rest its hard to get going again.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I average 26 palms out. I havent tried palms in over a year. At that time I was hitting 20 palms out and about 16 palms in. I get better results using more of my lats. I have long ass monkey arms so while a wide grip doesnt give you the best stregnth, it shortens the distance I have to go up and down considerably over 20 some pullups so its actually easier for me to get more numbers that way. Going really fast makes it easier for you to get reps but its mainly because you're swinging a little bit. During my in-pft at ocs I did 22 and had only 16 of them count because I was swinging too much. I like to have my legs hang straight down and cross one foot over the other. It makes a nice weight and stops you from swinging so much.