• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pull Up/Chin Up method

Pull Up Method

• Total voters

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I thought palms toward you was a pull-up and palms away from you was a chin-up?

phrogpilot73

How do you do your pull ups? Palms in, palms out or do you switch when you've maxed one way?
I always did palms out. I've tried switching, but I never got any more. Some people swear by palms in. It's really personal preference - because if your grip is wide enough, you're using your shoulders & back vice your biceps.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I thought palms toward you was a pull-up and palms away from you was a chin-up?

Other way around...

I always did them palms out (pull-up vice chin-up) since thats the only way the Navy allows. Marines allow either, but if your gonna get good at one way, why not have it be the one that might give you the most options?...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I always did palms out. I've tried switching, but I never got any more. Some people swear by palms in. It's really personal preference - because if your grip is wide enough, you're using your shoulders & back vice your biceps.

Negative, you're still using your biceps. Wide-grip is actually the worst way to do pull-ups as your lats and biceps can't work as efficiently. Do palm in, and if you can find it, do narrow grip with your palms facing toward each other on two bars perpendicular to how you are standing. This will work the necessary muscles better and then do the wide-grip or whatever that you need for PFTs, trust me you'll be strong enough. Also, if you're a heavy bastard like myself, do some sets on the pull-down machines in the weight room to get your muscles toned and stronger.

Just my two cents as I spend an inordinate amount of time in the weight room.

Rasczak

Marine
I say just do both. Change it up as you workout.

I crossfit, so when I do a workout with an insane amount of pullups (100-150...no shit) I break it down into sets and use a different grip on each set.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
7 Palms Out

On a good day I can do 14 palms in.

I would recommend taking the hit to your max and changing over to the Palms Out method. In the long run it will help you max the PFT.

I know a lot of guys who got to about 14-15 (myself included) and hit a complete wall with the palms-in method because it works more of your biceps.

Palms Out focuses more on your back and lats which are stronger muscles, so you might be weaker now - but I can almost guarantee you will make gains faster and hit 20 much more quickly.

AllAmerican75 said:
Negative, you're still using your biceps. Wide-grip is actually the worst way to do pull-ups as your lats and biceps can't work as efficiently. Do palm in, and if you can find it, do narrow grip with your palms facing toward each other on two bars perpendicular to how you are standing. This will work the necessary muscles better and then do the wide-grip or whatever that you need for PFTs, trust me you'll be strong enough. Also, if you're a heavy bastard like myself, do some sets on the pull-down machines in the weight room to get your muscles toned and stronger.

Palms Out pullups still use biceps to some degree, but the mechanics of the position make it much more of a lat workout. Palms In is the opposite, mostly biceps, a little bit of lats.

I know that from personal experience, but I also have a source: Bodybuilding.com maybe isn't definitive, but it is full of guys who know exercises. Pullups. and Chin-Ups.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Uh... yea... If your bodies moving too much they aren't going to count them. When I was at a PST I watched a dude do 8-9 before they said "quit moving your legs, none of those counted we're still working on #1"

cisforsmasher

pilot
Is it cheating to bring your legs up and 'kick' when you pull up?

yes according the reg, you are not allowed to kip, swing, or bring your knees higher than your waist. If you need some one to stop your swinging, a helper can use the back of his arm to your front side to stop your forward motion.

I personally prefer the palms out method because as was stated before, you use more muscles that get less tired. Your tris are much larger than your bis. I weigh about 210 so I need all the help i can get. I can do about 15 and Im sure if I put more effort into it, I could max it out. But drinking beer is so much more enjoyable. If you want to improve your pullups, try the armstong pull up workout.

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong Pullup Program.htm

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Other way around...

I always did them palms out (pull-up vice chin-up) since thats the only way the Navy allows. Marines allow either, but if your gonna get good at one way, why not have it be the one that might give you the most options?...

Yes, yes I flipped that...

docholiday

I agrre with Phrogpilot, when I'm doing inboard my biceps won't last a full 20. But outboard, since it involves alot of your lats, is easier for me.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I can get about 28-30 with palms in, around 23-25 palms out. Of course I only weigh 165 so I'm sure that helps a bit.

Once you can get 10+ its time to start strapping extra weight to your waist.