• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT with Recruiter - Question

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Hello All,

I submitted my MEDDOCS and am expecting a call from my recuiter to schedule MEPS and my PRT. I searched everything I could think of on AW and couldn't find it so I'm just going to throw it out there...if you don't like it, just throw it right back :D.

I was just wondering, have any of you had your recruiter stop you when you hit the "Good Low" minimums? My recruiter told me all I had to reach was good low standards, and I was debating on whether or not to stop at those minimums to ensure I have enough energy to rock the run (I am borderline on the run - 11:39, 22 year old male).

By no means am I just shooting for the minimums, I know OCS will kill me if I'm not in shape. So, is the PT requirement on the application basically a "he made good-low he's qualified" type situation?

Thanks, "flame on" everyone who knows where everything is on AW :icon_rage

JKD

You can take up to 15 min between the push-ups and the run. Just do your max and take the max rest time allowed and you should be fine.

Also each event score is averaged to get the total - so if you max out the push-ups and/or sit-ups, and barely pass the run (but you do have to pass) you get a better score.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Don't ever do the minimum.
This isn't a question of "knowing everything", it's a question of desire. Do you want to be a naval officer, or do you just want to do the minimum.
The fact that this needs to be explained to you doesn't bode well for your future in Newport.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
OK maybe I was misunderstood. The recruiter said I only needed to achieve the minimums which led me to believe he would be stopping me. I think we are all clear on the aspect of desire to be a naval officer and far exceed the minimum requirements, and my future in Newport will be my own to decide.

JKD - thanks, I didn't know about the 15 minute rest time. I can almost max curl-ups (100), but i stink at pushups and the run right now - so hopefully I can improve enough that it will all average out favorably.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
USMC or USN?

For the Navy, it's pass/fail. My recruiter didn't stop me, but he stopped counting after I hit the mins (which is good-low, btw). The general advice I've gathered is that you want to be at least comfortably at good-high to avoid rolling in the in-PRT at OCS because performance will drop due to exhaustion. So I would recommend that you push yourself to the max on every portion just to get the practice.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
USN. Thanks Spekkio. I'm averaging a good-high right now but that's only because of my situps. I'll keep working at it though, I've come a long way from 245-195 lbs and I'm not about to quit. I'll spend 2 years in H if i have to...but I won't have to.

OCS-available in September. I'll let everyone know when I find something out.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I wasn't trying to smash you JT, but just impress the importance of being in awesome shape when you report, and never, ever let anyone think you're a sh*tbagger. It could very well be a death sentence if the wrong person thinks you're doing just enough to get by and is not willing to put in extra effort.
If your recruiter stops you; fine, but no one will in RI.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Noted, thanks Morgan. I intend to be in the best shape of my life when I report. Thanks for the info guys.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Just an update for everyone - I'm off to MEPS tomorrow (or tonight, depending on how you think of it), and then PRT with my recruiter immediately following. I'm excited to find something out, since apparently the selection board wants everyone to submit MEPS results (MEDDOCS) and PRT scores with their package.

Thanks to everyone who keeps this forum going, you guys are a great help. I'll update tomorrow night in this same thread to let everyone know how it went. Wish me luck (i.e. no penetration).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the Navy, it's pass/fail.
Are you sure about that? I don't seem to remember it being pass fail. I remember the PRT being part of your competitive profile. The better you do the more it helps your application. Maybe the pass/fail is something new. I hope Goob or RockyMountain can clear this up.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
*shrug* Idk...I asked point blank if the PRT counted and my recruiter said it was pass/fail. Like I said, he didn't seem to care once I hit the mins on the PRT, nor did he write down my scores. I'm getting my things together for OCS, so either he was right, the Navy was desperate, or he made up numbers. I hope it's the former.

red_ryder

None
Wellllllll the IN-PRT is pass-fail, or so I have been told. Your application PRT is definitely a facet of how good your application looks, so do as well as you can on that.

I know for a fact it can't ever hurt to do as well as possible on every PRT, but something is definitely wrong if they EVER stop you before you max out the test.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wellllllll the IN-PRT is pass-fail, or so I have been told. Your application PRT is definitely a facet of how good your application looks, so do as well as you can on that.
That makes more sense. Back in the day we didn't even give an in PRT. But then you fat bodies started showing up for OCS 10 lbs heavier then when you took the application PRT and 25 push ups short of mins. ;)