• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT with Recruiter - Question

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
you dont want the minimums. trust me.
By the way, any chance you can clear up the misconception on what the "minimum" is for the in-PRT at OCS in RI? I've read posts ranging from Sat. Med to Good High.

EDIT: interestingly enough, I'm going to magically gain like 3 levels on my PRT for PU/run but not gain anything on situps when my birthday comes up next week. Those charts sure are funky.

That makes more sense. Back in the day we didn't even give an in PRT. But then you fat bodies started showing up for OCS 10 lbs heavier then when you took the application PRT and 25 push ups short of mins.
And then OCS got a class with something like 75% of candidates failing the in-PRT, so it has to be done again within 2-4 weeks of shipping out.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Okay I have returned.

That sucked. I had to constantly remind the people there that I was applying to be an officer candidate, and that there were more tests than the "shippers" were getting. Eventually I got everything takn care of, but it was a pain in the arse - I really don't think that would have been my first and last trip to MEPS if it weren't for all of the information posted on AW, so thank you to everyone.

Everything checked out at MEPS (no poke) except one thing - they failed me on depth perception. I talked to my recruiter and he said there is a 80% chance they just jacked up the test because a lot of applicants were coming back to him with the same story - 20/20, perfect color vison, etc., but failing their DP test. So I am headed to my personal eye doctor tomorrow morning to have that looked at. The recruiter told me depth perception is not required for NFO. I will look this up on AW to make sure this is correct.

MEPS, by the way, took me from 0530 - 1030. Don't count on this though, they were saying it was the slowest (for us - the fastest) day they have had in years.

PRT went very well except for the run. 70 pushups, 80 - something curl-ups, and then I was so nervous in the car ride to the run that I ended up stopping to throw up on my second lap. Finished with 8 seconds to spare 11:52. My recruiter said not to worry about it, that I passed and he knows I will be busting my arse all summer to get ready for OCS PT.

Anyhoo, thanks again to everyone. This site is a great resource.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay I have returned.

That sucked. I had to constantly remind the people there that I was applying to be an officer candidate, and that there were more tests than the "shippers" were getting.
Good on ya! You prevented a common problem with OCS guys at MEPS. Good luck with the depth perception test. If it doesn't work out then yes, NFO is still on option that you would love.

PigzFly

I'm averaging a good-high right now but that's only because of my situps. I'll keep working at it though, I've come a long way from 245-195 lbs and I'm not about to quit.

Congrats on dropping the weight. I am in somewhat the same boat as you. I am applying for OCS and hoping for an Aviation slot as well. I will graduate in August after finishing my last class over the summer. I am hoping to be selected for the OCS class beginning 06 September. I also am having trouble with weight and the PRT. I am 5'9" and about 230. I have dropped about 20 lbs since the beginning of the year, but I need to lose even more. I play college football and hockey where bigger is better. Any recommendations on how to keep the weight falling off?

I took my first PRT yesterday. Roughly a Good Medium with 72 Sit Ups, 51 Push Ups and 11:50 run. I tweaked my shoulder in a hockey game Saturday night and it was bugging me, so I know my push ups will jump up, and I was surprised as to my sit up performance. I just need to get my run time down.

Again At-a-boy on the hard work so far. Keep fighting and hopefully we will both be heading to Newport in Sept.

-Bacon

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Okay I have returned.

That sucked. I had to constantly remind the people there that I was applying to be an officer candidate, and that there were more tests than the "shippers" were getting. Eventually I got everything takn care of, but it was a pain in the arse - I really don't think that would have been my first and last trip to MEPS if it weren't for all of the information posted on AW, so thank you to everyone.

Everything checked out at MEPS (no poke) except one thing - they failed me on depth perception. I talked to my recruiter and he said there is a 80% chance they just jacked up the test because a lot of applicants were coming back to him with the same story - 20/20, perfect color vison, etc., but failing their DP test. So I am headed to my personal eye doctor tomorrow morning to have that looked at. The recruiter told me depth perception is not required for NFO. I will look this up on AW to make sure this is correct.

MEPS, by the way, took me from 0530 - 1030. Don't count on this though, they were saying it was the slowest (for us - the fastest) day they have had in years.

PRT went very well except for the run. 70 pushups, 80 - something curl-ups, and then I was so nervous in the car ride to the run that I ended up stopping to throw up on my second lap. Finished with 8 seconds to spare 11:52. My recruiter said not to worry about it, that I passed and he knows I will be busting my arse all summer to get ready for OCS PT.

Anyhoo, thanks again to everyone. This site is a great resource.

hey! grats! :D and don't worry about the throwing up thing- just means you pushed yourself hard to do as well as you could! runners throw up all the time. ;)

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Any recommendations on how to keep the weight falling off?

Thanks for the congrats. It sounds dumb and cliche but if there is one thing I learned through this whole experience it's that the PT/weight loss is probably 90% mental. I worked out really hard for a few months and then hit a barrier, stuck around 215. When this happens you know you need to make a change. I gave up the beer and any kind of fast food whatsoever, which sucked since I am all around it in college, but you probably are too.

I just did a ton of running, a few random low-weight high-rep sessions, and stuck to the pushups/situps. I found it helps to make sure that no matter how far I run, I make sure that I am borderline tunnel-vision by the end. Eventually I developed this sort of thinking that, if I don't feel absolutely sick by the end of my runs, then I haven't accomplished much. Be careful, however if you fall into this mindset. Be wary of what your body is telling you and know the difference between good pain and bad pain.

I also gave up everything liquid that was not water, protein shake (maybe 3/week), or milk. And drink TONS of water. Put the scale away and break it out AT MOST once per week...or you will turn into a neurotic crazy person and freak out when your weight increases, which is totally natural. Stressing about weight will only fight against you.

Keep your eyes on the prize, and pride yourself in the fact that you are training to become an officer in the world's greatest Navy. When you think you can't go any more, run another mile. Always be challenging yourself, and always remember that it is worth it.

OK enough coach-speak. Those just worked for me, personally. Hockey is awesome by the way :D. I played all through middle and high school, and for UNC-Charlotte for a year and had a great time. I hope to see you at OCS, I am listed as available at about the same time. Let me know if you need anything at all.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Haha, sounds just like me (minus the throwing up part).

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
My scores were pretty much the same, except I passed the run by only 4 seconds and waited until I was done to puke my guts up. That gatorade I pounded down right before the test didn't do me much good since it ended up in the grass next to the track. Sounds like all of us September candidates have some work to do :)

PigzFly

I worked out really hard for a few months and then hit a barrier, stuck around 215.

When did you really start working hard? I started after christmas, pretty much beginning of the year. At the beginning of this month I was down 20lbs. Which I thought was good. But considering my height, the navy wants me even 50lbs or so lighter. Not going to happen. Im built to be big, as I always have been. My goal is between 200 and 210 by indoc to OCS.

My problem is that I go to school more than full time (21 units this semester) and I work nearly full time also. I have school from 7:30-4 every day and then work at night. Its tough to fit working out in. When I do it is usually for a half hour or so, so I cant push the tunnel vision/passing out point. Hopefully once summer hits I will have more time to spend working out. But my package will already be submitted with my MEPS and prt score. Just hope my app, LOR's and interviews outweigh the weight standard and poor prtr scores.