• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT at OCS

RobotSailor

Weller-known Member
Whenever I know I'm going to take a test, I like to prepare in a manner which mimics the actual test. This mentality is extending itself to the Physical Readiness Test at OCS. As such, I was wondering a couple things about the PRT.

First, how is the running portion ran? Is it on a track or a road route? Are there hills?

Next, while doing pushups I've found that the surface that you're working on changes how much you engage your core. What I mean is: you need a more stiff midsection when you're working on a slippery surface such a gym floor versus something more coarse, like a sidewalk. Does anyone know what kind of surface that the pushup section is done on?

Best,

AW

TXSooner07

None
If outdoor, you will run on a track and do the pushups on grass. If indoors, you will run around the gym and do pushups in there too.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Whenever I know I'm going to take a test, I like to prepare in a manner which mimics the actual test. This mentality is extending itself to the Physical Readiness Test at OCS. As such, I was wondering a couple things about the PRT.

First, how is the running portion ran? Is it on a track or a road route? Are there hills?

Next, while doing pushups I've found that the surface that you're working on changes how much you engage your core. What I mean is: you need a more stiff midsection when you're working on a slippery surface such a gym floor versus something more coarse, like a sidewalk. Does anyone know what kind of surface that the pushup section is done on?

Best,

AW

Honestly, if you're even moderately in shape, you'll be fine. You'll be doing so many push-ups and running so much that you'll see real benefits, especially if you have some of the more motivating DIs who put real emphasis on getting you in shape for more than the PRT. Understand that if you have to do the PRT inside, it's going to suck, and your score will suffer. Outside is a bit better.

The main thing is to be in the best overall shape you can with emphasis placed on general physical preparedness and work capacity (Crossfit, P90X, and Insanity are great for this). This will carry you farther than just practicing the PRT over and over again. If you're really super worried about it, practice form for each exercise; bad form will harm you more than whether the floor is slippery or not. Don't nuke it and destroy yourself every workout and you'll be fine.

Sonog

pilot
Any pullups during PT (I know they're not part of PRT) at OCS? Pullups + pushups, great combo.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Any pullups during PT (I know they're not part of PRT) at OCS? Pullups + pushups, great combo.

It really depends upon your class team and what they want to do. There aren't very many pull-up bars around the training area, so the only time you'd hop on one would be if you were PTing inside the barracks. If that's the case, your DI may or may not have you do pull-ups.

As far as the regular PT program is concerned, you will never do pull-ups. It focuses solely on Push-ups, Sit-ups/Curl-ups, and Run time; the events of the PRT. Don't expect to make great gains at OCS unless you push yourself outside of morning PT, i.e. heading down to the DI gym or PTing on your own in the evenings. But again, that stuff is class team dependent as well.

My advice about general physical preparedness still stands; it'll help you be ready for the multiple beatings RPT sessions a day and that's what really most important.

acwildcat

pilot
And we need what..... Probationary for the PT-in and Good-Low on the way out?

When I was there they were getting ready to do away with the low, medium, high stuff so it should be just a Good. Anything less than that will get you extra unwanted attention form the DIs. Yes I am speaking from experience ;)

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Whenever I know I'm going to take a test, I like to prepare in a manner which mimics the actual test. This mentality is extending itself to the Physical Readiness Test at OCS.
To mimic the tests start sleeping 3-4 hours a night, eat very little, and have someone give you a workout prior to your test.

Seriously though you'll be fine if you're in shape... each DI has their own stuff but mostly it's just you have to stay back straight and either pushing or in front leaning rest with knife hands the whole 2 minutes.

Nice avatar btw...

croakerfish

pilot
You can apparently get away with some pretty disgusting form these days. You know who you are...
If you have made any attempt at preparation, the actual PFA's will be no sweat. The trouble is what happens after the whole company "fails" to meet the average score your DI was hoping for. We had a large group of people with solid but not great scores reporting to the DI wing before PT for a beating every morning after the mid-PFA.