• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT at OCS

exNavyOffRec

If you can get good high-ish you should be fine (in-PFA requires SAT medium, but you don't take it the first day you arrive; a good high will ensure that fatigue doesn't bring you below standards). Remember when taking it that you don't get any brownie points for going above the minimum, so stick to perfect form over quantity.

FYI there is no more SAT L-M-H or Good L-M-H, it is all SAT, GOOD, EXC, etc....

USN1855

This is regarding actually PT at OCS...just curious...at OCS there is 4days of running and 2days of strength and conditioning training. On running days early in OCS, it's 1.5miles at about a 9mile pace, correct? That's only about 13.5mins. What do you do during the rest of the PT time early in OCS? What does strength and conditioning entail beyond situps and pushup...what other excerises?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
When I was at Newport we ran one of 3 routes:
1) The 1.5 mile on the road along the river on flat pavement
2) A 2.2 mile run that went on roads throughout the base and included some hills
3) A 5K that went to the 'seawall' and back. This was only ran twice. They said it was a "at your own pace" run, but the DIs still provided motivation.

M/W/F/Sat are run days, in that you will do one of the above during PT. But that is not the only exercise you will do that day. Your morning will start with the typical workout and will still include plenty of pushups, situps, and whatever other calisthenics your DI likes (mine liked lunges and bear crawling, while another loved 8-count bodybuilders). You will also often get stopped in the middle of the run to do suicide sprints and other calisthenics.

Tues/Thurs are more creative "strenght and conditioning" exercises instead of the runs. You'll do things like deadman carries and caterpillar walks. One DI had a former sports trainer in his class, so he had that guy set up an obstacle course. It's really DI choice on these days, and often they don't happen if your class is supporting graduation practice.

On a run day it will look something like this:
-Muster in formation 0520. Stretch on your own for 10 minutes.
-Commence 1/4 mile-ish formation jog warmup that takes about 2 minutes
-Get in formation for warmup calisthenics. This takes about 10 minutes. You mostly do pushups instead of the warmup exercises, though.
-Do another 1/4 mile-ish warmup lap that takes another 2-3 minutes.
-Break off into your run groups by speed, each led by a staff member.
-Do the run (about 30 minutes, depending on group and how much the DI wants to stop that day).
-Another 1/4 mile cooldown jog for 2 minutes.
-Do suicide sprints or bear crawl until the slow groups are back if you're in a fast group.
-Do cooldown stretches in formation (again, mostly more pushups and leglifts).
-March off for chow.

BDfan88

When I was at Newport we ran one of 3 routes:
1) The 1.5 mile on the road along the river on flat pavement
2) A 2.2 mile run that went on roads throughout the base and included some hills
3) A 5K that went to the 'seawall' and back. This was only ran twice. They said it was a "at your own pace" run, but the DIs still provided motivation.

M/W/F/Sat are run days, in that you will do one of the above during PT. But that is not the only exercise you will do that day. Your morning will start with the typical workout and will still include plenty of pushups, situps, and whatever other calisthenics your DI likes (mine liked lunges and bear crawling, while another loved 8-count bodybuilders). You will also often get stopped in the middle of the run to do suicide sprints and other calisthenics.

Tues/Thurs are more creative "strenght and conditioning" exercises instead of the runs. You'll do things like deadman carries and caterpillar walks. One DI had a former sports trainer in his class, so he had that guy set up an obstacle course. It's really DI choice on these days, and often they don't happen if your class is supporting graduation practice.

On a run day it will look something like this:
-Muster in formation 0520. Stretch on your own for 10 minutes.
-Commence 1/4 mile-ish formation jog warmup that takes about 2 minutes
-Get in formation for warmup calisthenics. This takes about 10 minutes. You mostly do pushups instead of the warmup exercises, though.
-Do another 1/4 mile-ish warmup lap that takes another 2-3 minutes.
-Break off into your run groups by speed, each led by a staff member.
-Do the run (about 30 minutes, depending on group and how much the DI wants to stop that day).
-Another 1/4 mile cooldown jog for 2 minutes.
-Do suicide sprints or bear crawl until the slow groups are back if you're in a fast group.
-Do cooldown stretches in formation (again, mostly more pushups and leglifts).
-March off for chow.
Wow, now it seems like the running at OCS isnt that bad. Thought it was a lot more intense.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Running really is the least of your worries and one of the most relaxing exercises you'll do at OCS. I showed up having to go all-out for a good low, and never felt like I was behind the curve. Being able to hold yourself in the down stroke of a pushup or keep your legs 6" off the floor for extended periods of time will serve you much better, since that's what the DIs frequently use as RPT. Also, you'll usually have to scream at the top of your lungs while doing the other exercises, but running is usually just running. Formation runs where you do yell at the top of your lungs are done at like a 9-10 min/mile pace.

Sometimes DIs will make you do the entire 2.2 miles as an indian run or add sprints in so that they break up the monotony.

BDfan88

Running really is the least of your worries and one of the most relaxing exercises you'll do at OCS. I showed up having to go all-out for a good low, and never felt like I was behind the curve. Being able to hold yourself in the down stroke of a pushup or keep your legs 6" off the floor for extended periods of time will serve you much better, since that's what the DIs frequently use as RPT. Also, you'll usually have to scream at the top of your lungs while doing the other exercises, but running is usually just running. Formation runs where you do yell at the top of your lungs are done at like a 9-10 min/mile pace.

Sometimes DIs will make you do the entire 2.2 miles as an indian run or add sprints in so that they break up the monotony.
So when you're not running at a pace of 9-10min/mile, what is the fastest pace? 8min/mile?

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Our DI pushed the fast group at what felt like a 5:30 pace if we were doing a fartlek with exercises mixed in - probably around a 6:00 if it was just straight running. Kind of dependent on who leads the run though - one day our class officer led the run and it was considerably slower.

BackOrdered

Contributor
So when you're not running at a pace of 9-10min/mile, what is the fastest pace? 8min/mile?

Unless you have a run time of under 9mins, I wouldn't worry about the fast group. The slowest group runs at a pace so laughable that if you are concerned about that, you have a major issue. The class team will ensure you are in the right run group. If you get moved to a faster group, consider it a compliment.

I will say this, it pays to be in the fast group. The DIs LOVE fast runners (in a good way) and give them ALOT of leeway. If you are THE fastest runner, you are probably going to be the Regimental Commander during candio phase, FYI.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
9-10 min/mile is for formation runs; those are runs where everyone is in rank and file and yells cadence. They are only done for the aforementioned warmup in the AM and on special occassions like to support a graduation.

Normally, runs are done at the pace of your run group, which varies in speed depending on class makeup and class team. You can probably expect an 8:30-7:30/mile pace for "slow," 7:30-6:45 for medium, and under 6:45 for fast. You will feel challenged if you are on the slower end of the spectrum, but if your body is used to running 2 miles at a pace that would score a "good" on the PFA, then you will be just fine.

While DIs do like PT studs, running isn't the only factor. The DIs will be equally unimpressed with a person who can max the run and can barely pass the pushups as someone who can max pushups and has to go balls-to-the-wall to get squeek by the run. Really all that being a PT stud guarantees you is a spot as PT body when you are a candio (and ours always got crapped on for water bottles being other than full in the summer). Regimental Commander is determined by a host of different factors that are averaged, including PT scores but also written test scores and "Officer-Like Qualities" (read: performance in inspections).

J_Cusick

So hypothetically speaking, what if 2 months prior to reporting one was to be a complete idiot and slightly injure their wrists by something like...tripping on a sidewalk pushed up by tree roots while running...to the point where pushups done on their palms are rough (to say the least), what would be the recommended course of action? Hypothetically.

exNavyOffRec

So hypothetically speaking, what if 2 months prior to reporting one was to be a complete idiot and slightly injure their wrists by something like...tripping on a sidewalk pushed up by tree roots while running...to the point where pushups done on their palms are rough (to say the least), what would be the recommended course of action? Hypothetically.

Have you seen a doc? should this be something that requires more than a few days recovery you will have to get the medical documents to give to your recruiter, they will get sent to N3M and they will TNPQ you until your doc clears you, then when you are cleared you will get a new OCS date, of course this is all assuming there is not a significant injury, something significant could result in loss of the spot.

If you see a doc and don't report anything to your recruiter and have issues at OCS that would be bad.

J_Cusick

I just saw a doctor yesterday, x-rayed and things look ok. He says it's probably a sprain. I'll pass that on to my recruiter.

Right now I'm basically at the point where I can do pushups in any way other than with flat palms (knuckle, with dumb bells, etc.) -- which I'm assuming are NOT going to be allowed. Hoping this heals soon, but since I'm constantly training it's hard to find time to rest them.

Anxiety is now setting in.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I slept from 2200 until 0445, with the occasional restroom breaks. So I am not sure why you were not getting you full night sleep. And food, food was delicious. I ate like an athlete everyday (Maybe that is why I lost so little weight).
Smaller classes sleep less (need to stand watch overnight more often). Also, the ritual 2am pee takes a toll on your sleep. In one of his last classes, the Black Ninja only graduated 13 when avg starting was 35ish. He also stationed a p-way watch anytime the class wasn't at class because a knucklehead disrespected a CPO by not standing up when he entered the room. They were a tired bunch.

exNavyOffRec

I just saw a doctor yesterday, x-rayed and things look ok. He says it's probably a sprain. I'll pass that on to my recruiter.

Right now I'm basically at the point where I can do pushups in any way other than with flat palms (knuckle, with dumb bells, etc.) -- which I'm assuming are NOT going to be allowed. Hoping this heals soon, but since I'm constantly training it's hard to find time to rest them.

Anxiety is now setting in.

What you are going to need is a letter from the doctor saying you have recovered from the injury and are "released with no limitations" but before that the doc needs to put down the estimated recovery time, it sounds as if worse case you move out a class or two.