• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proof That Gun Control and Gun Bans Work

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Godspeed said:
"Fallacitical," being a word spoken by an African tribe with French and Portuguese roots (which is resultantly a tri-bred language), means, "obsurd" in English.

And the term you are looking for now is "absurd . . ." Okay, I'll shut up now . . . :D

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Flash said:
And sometimes gun control actually does seem to work....

http://www.canadianembassy.org/government/guncontrol-en.asp

In 1998, Canada had 555 homicides, a rate of 1.83 per 100,000. Guns were involved in 151 of the homicides, 27% of the total, the lowest proportion since statistics were first collected in 1961. Robberies using firearms accounted for 18% of all such crimes in 1998, down from 25% in 1988 and 37% in 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom

From June 2003 to June 2004, recorded gun crime in the UK rose by 3% to 10,590 incidents. There was also a 14% rise in violent crime in the April-June period (265,800 incidents compared to 223,600 the previous year). Advocates on both sides of the gun control debate have argued how this is correctly interpreted with no consensus.

Yet, Britain remains one of the countries with the lowest homicide rate in the world accounting for 853 homicides in the reporting period 2003/04 according to the UK Home Office for Crime Statistics [3]. At a population of more than 59 million that translates into 1.4 homicides per 100,000 residents.

By comparison, the FBI Uniform Crime Report shows for the reporting period of 2003 a homicide rate in the United States of 16,503 homicides or 5.7 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants [4], with 21.6 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants for African Americans, being the sixth highest cause of death according to the CDC [5].

This puts the statistical likelihood of dying from homicide in the USA at 307% higher than in Britain.

.....and Counterpoint......

Britain may have the lowest homicide rate, but you are far more likely to be stabbed, assaulted, mugged, and/or raped in Britain than you are here in the U.S. As for Canada, I can't explain that. I guess it's just too cold up there to mug people.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Any suggestions on a good first rifle?:icon_smil Been looking into trying to get one so I can go shooting, I was thinking about a .22, as my grandfather had one, but it is a b***h to ship out here from North Carolina, and I enjoy shooting them, but then again, soemthing along the lines of an old M1 Garand would be cool. Also, I'm currently barred from owning any "assault weapons" as I cannot even handle them, not being 18 and all, thank you liberal California legislature. :icon_rage

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
Any suggestions on a good first rifle?:icon_smil Been looking into trying to get one so I can go shooting, I was thinking about a .22, as my grandfather had one, but it is a b***h to ship out here from North Carolina, and I enjoy shooting them, but then again, soemthing along the lines of an old M1 Garand would be cool. Also, I'm currently barred from owning any "assault weapons" as I cannot even handle them, not being 18 and all, thank you liberal California legislature. :icon_rage

A Charter Arms AR-7 is a great first rifle (.22) - plus it has a great military feel to it and it packs up in it's own stock...

ar7-2.jpg

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
As a California girl growing up in hippy land (aka Santa Cruz/San Francisco area), I'd never actually even seen a gun, except for on the belt of a police officer. I was scared to death of them and they were never, under any circumstances going to be in my house...

And then I met my husband.

When we became serious I knew, since he was a military man, there were going to be guns around me and in my house. I decided I needed to learn how they worked, what they did and how to use them. He spent about two days going through all the gun safety he could think of. Then he took me to the range. I had a blast! It's amazing what knowing just a little about a subject can do for your opinion of it.

While I definitely believe that you should take a gun safety course before you buy a gun, I think it should be the buyers responsibility and not something that is required and monitored by the government. AND I think all states should have the same rules, not CA and MA's rules, but it should be straight across the board of what's ok and what isn't.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jenmarie said:
It's amazing what knowing just a little about a subject can do for your opinion of it.

You nailed it. All the anti-gun people I know are ignorant and base their opinions purely on emotion and what the media tells them they should believe.

Reactions: E5B

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
get a 10/22 and rice it out

you can learn how to shoot and have fun at the same time on the cheap. no need to buy nice guns when you can't shoot for sh-t.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I learned to shoot on a 22 at 4 years old. I have 5 of them now and they are still a blast to shoot. My pops was a Texas Hunters Safety Instructor, so I was in good hands and learned well.