• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prk Waiver-important

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
lazy8s-

do you remember anything specific about the waiver process that I should know going into the surgury? Any tests that my doctor must conduct as a requirement for the waiver BEFORE the procedure? Or did you just have the surgury and the waiver was a rather simple element to the process? Thanks for the help.

You do the surgery and send in all the notes and paperwork related to your appointments. You have to have all the related paperwork on your procedure like your checkups out to 6 months, eye maps, surgical notes etc. Talk to freakin recruiter or something, none of us can give you the specifics because everyone's situation is different. I can say that it was fairly easy via NROTC because the process was laid out for those of us who already had some "committment" to the navy.

FDX

It's mind games!
this may be a stupid question, but im fairly new to this PRK thing. I scheduled a consultation about a month from now. i was referred to this surgeon by my eye doc, and she came highly recommended. But just how does one find out if the surgeon is reputable? The one im scheduled to see is quite a bit more expensive than others ive seen, and her office is in the "nice part of town". Are these factors that would point to a good reputation. Any tips.
thanx

nugget81

pilot
But just how does one find out if the surgeon is reputable?

Ask to talk to previous patients. See what their experiences were like. Do your homework on it all and ask anyone and everyone. If they are unwilling to put you in touch with previous patients, find out why....

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
this may be a stupid question, but im fairly new to this PRK thing. I scheduled a consultation about a month from now. i was referred to this surgeon by my eye doc, and she came highly recommended. But just how does one find out if the surgeon is reputable? The one im scheduled to see is quite a bit more expensive than others ive seen, and her office is in the "nice part of town". Are these factors that would point to a good reputation. Any tips.
thanx

Google

The guy that did my eyes was also a professor and taught other surgeons how to do it. Pretty comforting. Oh, it was the most expensive procedure they had, too.

FDX

It's mind games!
Nozeman, did you by chance get your prk done in the Southern California area? Any more tips for finding a really good doctor guys?
thanks
FDX

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
No, I had mine done in Chicago. It was the local affiliate of TLC Vision, highly recommend them. They are all over the country.

if the PRK is a success, then you will get a waiver recommendation from NOMI. BUMED makes the final call on weither or not you will get the waiver based on the recommendation. For example, if the pipeline was full, then BUMED might not give you a waiver. I'm currently waiting to hear back from BUMED as to weither or not I will get a waiver.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
All I can say is I'm coming up on 4 years after PRK and still have 20/12 each eye. Then again, I was already a winged aviator for many years before I had the procedure. I would simply recommend using the medication they give you and use it precisely as directed. I to had to get the waiver, might be different for winged aviators (don't know), but it didn't seem to be a bid deal. The chances are probably small that a screw up would happen. If it does happen though, go buy a lottery ticket, it might be your day :D