• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prk Waiver-important

atflor

pilot
I am scheduled for PRK next week and am very nervous that I won't get a waiver. Has anyone heard of or had experience NOT GETTING A WAIVER for PRK? I have no reason to think I am any different, I just don't want it to be an issue and soon it will be too late to undo.

Anyone with experience in this area is welcome to reply. Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am scheduled for PRK next week and am very nervous that I won't get a waiver. Has anyone heard of or had experience NOT GETTING A WAIVER for PRK? I have no reason to think I am any different, I just don't want it to be an issue and soon it will be too late to undo.

Anyone with experience in this area is welcome to reply. Thanks.

Stop obsessing and catastrophizing every little detail. Anything can happen and there are no guarantees. You'll just have to wait and see like everyone else. Nothing that anyone here says will change your specific case, so just relax and move forward.

Brett

atflor

pilot
I'm not looking for a guarantee, rather an assessment of risk. Knowing what complications may arise from this decision may influence the level of risk associated with it. Are you suggesting I should make this "important" decision without gathering as much information as possible? That is poor advice.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not looking for a guarantee, rather an assessment of risk. Knowing what complications may arise from this decision may influence the level of risk associated with it. Are you suggesting I should make this "important" decision without gathering as much information as possible? That is poor advice.

Your doctor should be explaining those things to you, not a bunch of morons from the internets. That said, all of that stuff has been discussed in excruciating detail in other threads. Use the search function.

Brett

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah dude, let the Doc give you all the possibilities. I was a complete pain in the ass about it w/ my eye docs, and I was a higher risk candidate. Hammer on them for any of your concerns, you are paying them a lot of money!

Helps to go to a very reputable place too! My docs did Tiger's eyes too;)

atflor

pilot
My doctor, surprisingly, was unable to intelligently field questions about the Naval Waiver process regarding this procedure. I also have searched every forum relative to this procedure and there is next to no information about the negative results in reference to waivering the procedure. Thanks for trying to "shed some light" for me...but you are not being helpful and I would prefer to let the people who have experience with this issue respond...as I requested in my initial posting.

Rubiks06

pilot
dont cry dont cry...... like Brett says nothing i say is going to help. But i think getting it done at bathesda they were saying maybe 1 in 100 ended up being not waiverable. And 20 out of 100 were not corrected to 20/20 or better. These are last years numbers. The non-waiverable were ones that werent corrected to 20/40 or better and were not correctible to 20/20 w/ glasses. Side note. If your dude doesnt know what hes doing i would think about finding someone else to cut my eye....just a thought....

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Yeah dude, let the Doc give you all the possibilities. I was a complete pain in the ass about it w/ my eye docs, and I was a higher risk candidate. Hammer on them for any of your concerns, you are paying them a lot of money!

Helps to go to a very reputable place too! My docs did Tiger's eyes too;)

Wasnt there an article about how Tiger's eyes were jacked up after the surgery? (not like ruined, just reduced night vision or some minor defect)....not good advertisement for the doc!

flyerstud4

Atflor,

From the sounds of it, you already made your decision. I had PRK done, my eyes are awesome now and i got my waiver. I cant say that happens for everyone, but like Brett said, there are no guarantees in life. The bigger risk here is not taking one.:D

atflor

pilot
lazy8s-

do you remember anything specific about the waiver process that I should know going into the surgury? Any tests that my doctor must conduct as a requirement for the waiver BEFORE the procedure? Or did you just have the surgury and the waiver was a rather simple element to the process? Thanks for the help.

flyerstud4

lazy8s-

do you remember anything specific about the waiver process that I should know going into the surgury? Any tests that my doctor must conduct as a requirement for the waiver BEFORE the procedure? Or did you just have the surgury and the waiver was a rather simple element to the process? Thanks for the help.

Good questions. I lucked out and my eye doctor was a former Navy flight surgeon. There is a cut off on how bad your eyes can be. If you have coke bottles for glasses you will have a tough time getting a waiver, even if you get corrected to 20/20. I cant remember the numbers on that though. There is also a test where the doc measures astigmatism(sorry for the spelling) and i think diameter. Each of these measurements have to fall within certain ranges to be waiverable. I think your best bet is to ask your OSO for the numbers and then compare them with doc to see if you meet the requirments. Oh one more thing too, if your eyes are stilling changing, i.e. still getting bad, this will also effect the results. I hope that helps.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
My doctor, surprisingly, was unable to intelligently field questions about the Naval Waiver process regarding this procedure. I also have searched every forum relative to this procedure and there is next to no information about the negative results in reference to waivering the procedure. Thanks for trying to "shed some light" for me...but you are not being helpful and I would prefer to let the people who have experience with this issue respond...as I requested in my initial posting.

Yeah, and don't be a d!ck to those of us that actually have experienced this.

I had PRK my junior year of college and got my waiver while i was in NROTC. If you want the waiver, don't have bad a botched surgery I guess. I had the absolute best people do the best procedure possible to me, I came out ok. I'm 20/20 left and 20/25 right. I sent in all the proper paperwork and didn't have any problems (that I know of) getting the waiver. Take it for what it's worth. Keep in mind that you are having SURGERY outside of the Navy when you do PRK as a candidate, there are risks.