• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK study almost full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Wooohoooo!!!!!

This is definately good news! Here I have been thinking that at will be at least five years before I could apply, at that age I would definately be pushing the age envelope. keep your fingers crossed that they will continue to keep granting waivers.

So to summerize, there is still a good possibility that they will continue to grant waivers, just not to the ascension study, and if they stop granting them, the study will be completed in two years at the latest with a policy decision coming soon after. Correct?

Good Luck to us all four eyes that are soon to be two and Best Regards to all else,

The Jolly Roger
pirate_125.gif

Taz24th

Proud member of Class 903
Thank God!

Competiveness is everything in this game and for those that don't have perfect vision, there is an extra drive to beat those who do. My opinion is that who ever wants it more, will ultimately win. In some cases those with 20/20 believe that its automatically granted to them, which underestimation of the competition spells a major downfall. Lots of luck to those applying for waivers.

"A good stick is a good stick, whethere they have perfect eyesight or not."

FLY NAVY!

F-14 Tomcat: "Anytime Baby!"

NavyLonghorn

I was accepted into BDCP post PRK and offered a pilot slot pending flight physical, does this mean I recieved a PRK waiver, or am I screwed? I was under the impression that PRK is disqualiying period, not just for aviaton, so.. I must have a waiver?

aeronerd

Hummer guy
Longhorn,
You must have a waiver, and there is specific paperwork for it. You would know if you had one or not. YES, PRK is disqualifying, so if you don't get the waiver, you're screwed.

NavyLonghorn

I know I have a PRK waiver.. but.. that doesnt necessarily mean I have a waver for aviation and am in the study.. correct?

JayManC

a waivers a waivers a waiver, its just a matter of which study youre under, which directs where the paperwork goes.

<insert something witty here:>

kevin

on a related note, i was told that the prk waiver is granted at ocs by nami and not beforehand. so i would be going to ocs under pilot billet without having the actual waiver yet. that doesnt make sense to me, cause if they have stopped giving prk waivers entirely, how could they send you to ocs as sna pending a waiver that you werent going to get? anyone?

aengle

I am the aviation studies manager for the Navy Refractive Surgery Center in San Diego.
Just found this site through a member who called to ask me questions about the accession study.
Although the 500 "slots" in the Accessioning study are full, we just got approval to expand the study to an additional 150 slots. NAMI will continue to enroll applicants with Hx of PRK until they are used up. In the mean time we are working on a follow on study on the Quality of Vision in SNA/SNFO's that will allow enrollment of up to 500 more applicants with Hx of PRK.
Thought you might like to know.
CDR Andy Engle

kevin

THAT WAS LIKE MANNA IN THE DESERT SENT DOWN FROM THE GOOD MAN HIMSELF!!!! thanks for the info. I thought i was screwed before...but now some hope!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
thats great news!!

Its always awesome to have someone who knows for a fact whats going to set us all straight.

thanks

rum_swizzle

a little scuttlebutt...brother is a pilot in the Navy and he has heard through the grape vine that the Navy MIGHT, MIGHT be starting a LASIK study...lets be hopeful!!

planning on becoming a pilot myself, however as i've been told over and over again (and now realise) as much as you want to fly being an officer is Number 1 flying is just a perk. You have to want to serve first and fly second...especially Marine Corps aviation!! but it's true with all the services

andrew

Men/Women I unfourtunately had the LASIK procedure 2 years ago which DQ'd me from the Navy flight program and I was forced to fly commercial in the civilian world and love it, but not a day goes by that I dont wish I was landing on a carrier. PRK I know for a fact!the NAVY/MARINES/AIRFORCE are waivering PRK as we speak. Also, the Army is waivering both PRK and LASIK at this time. But if any of you have info. about LASIK progress please post or send message and dont ever give up on your dream.
make it happen!!!

larst3@aol.com

hey, this is my first time posting on this site. I'm a high school senior waiting to hear back on my NROTC scholarship application and looking into naval aviation. I'm 20/30 distance and am about to go get my refraction checked, so PRK is of importance to me. as most of you know the navy may or may not accept PRK waivers anymore..BUT before all you pilot-wannabees apply for NFO or SW, you do have one more option: Non-surgical Vision Therapy. I found out i have faulty depth preception about a year ago and found out that through vision therapy, it can (and is) being corrected. Not only is the depth preception getting better, but my overall vision is improving. So, before you let go of your dreams, look into finding a civi doc. that does this. its time consuming and slow going and sort of pricy,(about 1000 or more)but if you can dedicate your self to it, you might have a shot at improving your vision. If your really bad (20/100) or have really bad refraction, i dont know if or how much this will help. just trying to let you all know about other paths.

stevew

for 20/30 vision you are still eligible to be a pilot for the Navy/MC so you do not need to have PRK done. I believe the cutoff for vision is 20/40 so you are good to go. Although if your vision is worse than 20/30 you will be required to wear glasses when you fly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.