• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK study almost full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

I emailed the head of the opthamology department at NOMI about getting PRK after OCS and he said that the study is almost full and that they could stop granting waivers any time. He said if they do decide on this policy they would make it known in a Navy wide announcement. Has anybody else heard this?

-jim

kevin

any info on this would be appreciated. i have to reapply for sna in 6 months due to prk timeline and if they are shutting off the prk applicants for ocs im sol.

Kenth02

hey bud, I haven't heard anything about them canceling the PRK waivers. i have been in contact with my recurtier for the PLC program and I am scheduled to get my PRK in September. I sure hope they do not change it. You may also want to get in contact with NAMI.

-Kent

SkyHigh

Hey Guys,
How do you get in contact with NAMI? People talk about it, but do you email or call them? THanks for the help.

Jim

I emailed them. I found a link on the main NOMI website and contacted the head of the opthamology department, a USN captain and flight surgeon. It almost sounds like he is the one in charge of the program. What makes me mad is that i've been sitting around on bdcp since last july and would have gotten PRK earlier if i knew this was the case. best of luck to you all.

-jim

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call me stupid, but is it NAMI or NOMI? And what exactly do those letters stand for?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
naval aeronautical medical institute? just a guess

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

kevin

hey jim, i feel your pain...i didnt get prk done earlier and am now screwed out of an sna spot cause my recruiter told me it wasnt necessary when in fact it was necessary to get it done early in my case. anyway, its NOMI (naval operational medicine something). and it's official...they're cutting off waivers entirely this summer. i went to the nrotc Lt. at my school and he called nomi directly to get an answer. apparently they've had a ton of people inquiring. and the answer was yes, the people who were first selected into the study have completed all flight training and are now heading to squadrons and will be evaluated. in the meantime, its back to the old ways...if God didnt bless you with outstanding vision, find another job. if the study goes poorly (if these guys and gals start crashing jets) then no more waivers for flying. if the study goes well (guys and gals not crashing jets) then they will most likely reinstitute the waiver accessions. unfortunately this could be anywhere from a year to 10 years. the navy's going to lose a lot of great "would be pilots" from this. sorry fellas...sucks royally for us all.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
No fair! You can't make being a pilot in the civilian world unless you're a millionaire and your dad owns Microsoft or something. Besides, I want to be in the military to serve. I don't know what's next now...

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

Jim

yeah it is incredibly unfair. i'm on bdcp so if i don't manage to pass the vision test, i'll likely be requred to serve at least four years. if this happens i'll probably just enter as an NFO (if there are any slots open) and hope for a transfer to pilot further on down the line. if that fails who knows, maybe i'll try to enter the JAG program and go to law school, because i won't have a future occupation outside as an NFO. just a thought, have you guys considered the air force? their standards are 20/70 and i've heard that they frequently give a waiver for worse than that. if i remember right they also had a prk study ongoing. the only thing with them though is you really need to have a private pilot's license to even be considered for a slot.

-jim

mimisoko9

I have already had the surgery and was riding out the six-month waiting period.

Does anyone know if I will no longer be able to apply for SNFO or any other community either?

kabttu

are PRK waivers only required for people going for aviation spots? I'm thinking about getting PRK and have even recently been considering trying for SNA since I'd already have the procedure done, sucks to hear they may be discontinuing the waiver process.

kevin

kabttu: that study was specifically for sna/snfo. hence, dont think it matters for anything else whether you had the prk or not.

mimisoko: if you dont meet the eye requirements pre prk than my understanding would be that you would not be able to go snfo either. reason being that the accession study as i just said was for both sna and snfo. but who knows, you could call nomi and ask.

jim: want to apply to af with me? yes i have been looking into it ever since i found out i got the aforementioned screw job. since you apparently received a similar screw jobbing, here is what i know. 20/70 is waiverable for uncorrected vision (ie people who would just have to wear glasses). but the prk standards are similar (i think) to the navy's, particularly that the post op results are more important that pre op measurements. however, the wait post prk for possible waiver is one year. if i remember correctly, the air force did their prk study several years earlier and just this past year started making prk a standard waiverable thing. BUT...only 10% of their pilots can be people with prk. meaning that if you dont have really pretty eyes you are competing for 1/10 the spots as everyone else. also, having a private license is almost mandatory for two reasons. A) they want you to have your private license B) there are two tests you take, BAT and AFOQT, and having your ppl helps consiberably on scoring high on the BAT test. also having a technical major is fairly important (engin, ph, chem, etc). plus the ots (not ocs) pool for pilots is simply "filler" for spots left over after academy and rotc guys and girls (like navy). bottom line is it's very competitive (much like sna is now) and more involved obviously. but hell, even if it's a 1% chance that's 1% more than with the navy soon. let me know what you think.

mimisoko9

Kevin-

Thanks for the info. I was eligible for SNFO pre-op, so maybe I can still qualify for that. What a heartbreaker. Maybe I should consider AF too; I'm meeting with an AF Brig Gen'l next Friday. Maybe he'll have some good insight.

-Mimi

Meridiani

I called an AF recruiter after my initial rejection from Navy OCS, because I'd heard a rumor that the AF takes pilots up to age 29. He told me that the AF would not consider anyone without a PPL for a pilot slot, and that they aren't currently accepting anyone that's had PRK. I've also heard that they aren't allowing any non-tech majors into OTS right now.

If you guys hear any differently, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.