• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK study almost full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

jim: i did get straight forward answers initially from the navy, agreed. but they certainly didnt give me all the info i needed. and i think they fibbed to me at one point to get me into a different officer tract, which i politely declined. anyway, its just a damn pain trying to get all this stuff figured out as it is without having people misdirect you all over the place. i found that talking to rotc detachments at least initially is the best route.

mimisoko: any word yet from your inquisitions?

mimisoko9

Kevin-

Yes, I heard from the clinical director for head/eyes at NAMI and I have also heard from some of his subordinates.

Sounds like the study is closed or will be very, very soon. It also sounds like that message hasn't been fully circulated yet and that's why we're getting conflicting reports.

The bottom line is there is no bottom line yet. The study is closing, yes, but they're not sure what they're going to do with the people who already got surgery and were waiting or people who still want to get the surgery. I guess the good news is that people in that boat are at least being considered.

I for one plan on continuing the application process until I'm told I'll never be qualified.

Also, found out my preexisting refractive error would be too high for the AF (can't be higher than -5.50), so that option is out for me.

-Mimi

kevin

i have an interesting situation. i found out my surgery is being done as a refraction of around -6.00 diopters. however, my prescription (glasses with which i saw 20/20) was only -5.25. the doctor thinks im a freak or something, but regardless of what planet im from, i wonder if i might qualify for the 3 month wait instead of the 6 month wait. any one have any idea?

mimisoko: thanks for the info. i didnt realize they had a refractive error cap for af. that is slightly encouraging to hear about the prk study. i agree, the best thing to do is to keep applying and what not until they tell you personally to go fly a kite. i'm just curious how long it will take after the study closes for them to start granting waivers as regular. we all know these guys and gals with the prk are going to do fine. there are people flying jets who have a hell of a lot worse problems than a slight "halo" at night. once the military spends 1 million dollars (dr evil?!) training you they want you to fly. you can probably get a limb blown off and they'll still try to include you.

kevin

maybe we should all sign a petition to send to noaoaoaoaomi and ask them to continue granting waivers.....no wait, they wouldnt give a crap. well im fresh out of ideas.

BYSun

"mimisoko: any word yet from your inquisitions?" - kevin

Inquisitions?? Mimi must be a tough girl.

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, an NFO has no opportunity after the Navy! I'd say you can do anything but fly for an airline. Or is that ture? I'd know. I am a NFO (Vikings) and fly for American Airlines. I know at least ten other former NFOs that are airline pilots. Bottom line is it can be done. The airlines are in a graveyard sprial. It won't be the career you think it will be by the time you are out of the Navy. By the way, NFO is a job that beats any other job you will get out of college. Especially civilian CFI. As to PRK. I am a reservist that works in recruiting and it is true the PRK program is fast coming to an end. May be done by now. Don't hold out hope for eye waiver. Good luck to you all. Naval Aviation, no matter the seat you occupy or the number of anchors on your wings is a great job and lifestyle. This is a great site but a little too parochial.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Hi All! I simply can't buy the fact that the Navy will completely stop granting PRK waivers forever. Lets say they follow the guys in this study for the next ten years, and nearly all have no problems whatsoever. What then? I doubt they'll be so ignorant as to completely exclude a medical procedure that works. That would mean permenently excluding an entire segment of the population (us four-eyes) from a position that we could do (better?).

Obselence comes from not adapting to changes, and I doubt our military will not adapt to this change as well.

As for me, I've got 3.00 and 3.25 diopters, so my dreams rest on getting PRK. Of course, I'm about 8 years away from active duty, so hopefully they will have made up their mind by then.

Wink: How exactly did you log all those hours of NFO time in your logbook? NFOs aren't PICs, but can they log it as SIC time? It seems odd to me that AA would hire a former NFO as a pilot. Let us know how you did it.

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

Jim

good info wink. it definitely sounds like i was misinformed about an nfo's opportunitis outside the navy, based on both what you and others have said. how exactly did you accumulate the hours needed to apply to the airlines? i've heard there are various navy flying clubs but it doesn't seem like flying for fun on the weekend would rack up the hours needed for the majors. did i read into it right that you were a civilian cfi? how nfo's get hired by the airlines has been a question i've had for some time, thanks for bringing it up.

-jim

aeronerd

Hummer guy
My recruiter just got an email back from NAMI about the PRK study.... Here it is:

"It is true that the Navy PRK Aviation Accession Study is nearing its enrollment capacity. Navy waiver policy allowed us to recommend waiver for history of PRK in SNAs and SNFOs if enrolled in the Accession Study.

Any SNA that requires PRK was disqualified prior to the surgery due to defective distant vision or refractive error. The Study offered an opportunity to control the risk of a possible flight training performance or attrition hazard after PRK for a defined cohort of SNAs and SNFOs during the enrollment period. Analysis of Study results to scientifically guide future policy will require up to two years.

Development of interim policy recommendations is underway now. I cannot tell you what that policy will be or when it will be promulgated, but any changes will be distributed at the earliest opportunity by Navy message and on several official Navy websites.

I have never recommended that any individual undergo a surgical procedure solely to qualify for special duty. Fortunately, PRK has proven to be a safe and effective treatment of refractive error offering many general benefits for enhanced quality of life with reduced dependence on spectacles or contact lenses for clear vision. I am not aware of any upcoming change in Navy policy with respect to waiver for commissioning or non-air warfare specialty programs.

Your OC applicant should apply for any and all programs in which he is interested and which are available. We will endorse his SNA applicant physical examination according to the standards and policy that have been approved by higher authority."

R/

CAPT Warren Anderson, MC, USN (FS)
Clinical Director
Head, Eye Department
Naval Aerospace Medical Institute[/size=1][/size=2]

stevew

Does this mean that even though the study is closed we should apply for aviation anyway and hope to get in?

mimisoko9

Jim-

It sounds as if they have NOT ruled out granting waivers in the interim; by the same token, however, they have not decided upon it either.

It's not the doctor's job to tell you to apply for one community or another, is what the above response means. That's your recruiter's job. He also cannot - at this point - tell you what the waiver situation will be at the time of your application.

I think my recruiter believes it's too early to abandon ship. As far as I can tell, he's ready to continue forward with my application for aviation despite my having had PRK a month and half ago. If it were destined for non-select, I don't think he would waste his time.

Hope that helps a little.

kevin

thanks for the info and it was very gracious of Capt. Anderson to write that. But one thing he may not realize about not endorsing procedures to fit into a certain specialty is that some of us want to fly so bad we will do anything and everything on God's green earth just to give ourselves a chance. i intend to fight to the finish and i wish all of you the best, too.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
He mentioned a two year period for a scientific analysis to guide future policy. Guess this kinda leaves the door wide open for people like me who are about 6-8 years away from our commissions! Hopefully, they will have reinstated PRK by then!

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

FlyFast

My opinion is this. PRK will work, because it is working now and has worked in the past. Give the Navy time and Prk'ers will be just as regular as non's. They know they are missing half the gene pool, after all our generation grew up eye to eye with viedo games. Patrick SNA pre OCS and PRK

aeronerd

Hummer guy
My recruiter and I interpreted the message from CAPT Anderson as this. We should all still apply for the waiver because even though the study is almost full, they still might grant waivers. These applicants would no longer be part of the study and wouldn't have to be monitored as closely. They will continue granting waivers until they someone tells them not to, which hasn't happened yet...

Let's hope it never happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.