• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Training Locations

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Some may disagree, but I also felt that the instructors in Corpus (VT-28 in particular) were a lot more relaxed than they were in Whiting. Going into advanced at South Field, everyone said that it was going to be more relaxed than it was in primary. Well, it was if you did Primary at Whiting or Vance. The Corpus studs wanted to know why everyone was so uptight.

Also consider what you want to do in your off time. If you like to hunt and fish, Corpus is the place to be. I don't know what they do in Vance, hang out at the Wall-Mart, maybe. Milton is a decent little town and there is some stuff to do, but since New Orleans has been knocked out, there really are not big towns to find good night-life at. San Antonio and Austin are a really easy drive from Corpus.

Agree 100%, did primary at North Field and am now at South Field and things are MASSIVELY more relaxed than up north...just take it for what its worth.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Milton is a decent little town and there is some stuff to do, but since New Orleans has been knocked out, there really are not big towns to find good night-life at.

Trust me, there is plenty of good night-life in New Orleans right now.

crateofthunder

I would second the post on getting as much instrument time as possible. That is the hardest part of primary and definately what makes or breaks you. Aero is only like four graded flights and everyone does "well". Best of luck!!

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I would second the post on getting as much instrument time as possible. That is the hardest part of primary and definately what makes or breaks you. Aero is only like four graded flights and everyone does "well". Best of luck!!

Knew many who did really well in instruments...found it fun...and still did not get a great NSS as a result of FAMs (and those weren't horrible)...if you screw up instruments then yeah it will break you, but if you do well there then it won't reverse an overall average jacket...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I dare repeat Mefesto "instruments is where jet guys get jet grades" in Primary.

Thats fine, I can definitely see that viewpoint, all I am saying is that no one should be counting on Instruments to turn around their grades if things have only gone average up till that time...

just my 2 cents...

best plan would be to use EVERY stage of training as the key to getting jet grades and work for those 5s every time...

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I had a pretty high RI NSS and an average contact/PA NSS. Im at south field now. The system is not good for people who start slow. There are just as many contact/PA flights as there are RI. Bottom line you have to work hard and perform all the time.

BugDriver

pilot
I went through TW4 at Corpus with ~300 civilian hours (ASEL Instrument). I *was* accelerated -- all of about 4 flights. I think, with weather and whatnot, I still finished at the same time as the rest of my classmates.

What really helped me was previous exposure to ATC and IFR. (The talk-and-fly and think-and-fly aspects of them.) If you already know the basics, then you can use the flight to learn an instructor's sweet little technique that will make your next flight that much easier.

It's like surfing -- paddle your ass off to get in front of the wave, then ride it all the way to the beach, or else paddle half-assed and spend the rest of your time wondering why you're working like a dog and still can't catch up with the guys in front of you.

MasterBates

I was accelerated with ~1000 hours, but no instrument ticket. I had a Commercial Helicopter ticket, and about 50-60 hours in Cessnas and such. RIs kind of sucked for me. I did well, but I had to work harder at that than any other stage.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I was just down visiting VT-28 and was told they automatically accelerate anyone with 250+ hours and an instrument ticket. It sounds like each squad has their own "rules". All this info is from a guy currently in VT-28's accelerated program. Sounds like the weather sucks down in Corpus in the winter, no wonder there were always guys at Cruses when I'd fly through.

Heloanjin

pilot
Also, I heard there is an option to go to Vance and if you do that, the chances for a jet slot might be greater (not sure if this is correct) any help or advice is appreciated.

The site of training makes no difference in selection. Over the long run, Whiting, Corpus and Vance all have the same percentage of selectors for jets, props, and helos. There are lots of rumours to the contrary, none supported by fact.

If you have a choice of what kind of flying to get before heading to OCS, I'll agree with instrument work suggestion. Those skills transfer well to the Navy syllabus and flight training instruction.

My biggest word of advice, when you start flying in Primary, don't assume you know how to do it. Study like you have 0 hours of flight time. Plus, the Navy way is different than the civilian way. Don't fight it. Embrace it

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I would concur that choice of primary location means nothing compared to how hard you work towards what you want, and how hard your willing to fight for it.

Around the time that I selected out of primary (6-8 weeks ago)there was alot of scuttlebutt going around that guys who went to whiting were getting mostly helos, and corpus were mostly P3s/E2s. (of course this crackpot theory didn't apply for those jet guys). The aparent reasoning was that the Navy beancounters wanted to save money on "logistics" (i.e. moving students alot) One guy even claimed his CO told him that that was the only reason he got P3s instead of helos, because he went to Corpus. Personally, I think thats alot of BS. It got alot of guys worked up over nothing though.

Mav87

what aircraft do you start flying in primary? I have instrument and 200 hrs. and will have multi, commercial and around 500 hrs when i graduate from my areo college, i was hoping that this experience would better my chances of getting something fixed wing?

MasterBates

First, search is your friend. T-34C or T-6 depending on where you go

Second, 500hrs is not going to help that much, outside of radios. I think it may be a hinderance in some ways, having to unlearn what you have learned.

Third, TIMING is everything. If you are not willing to fly helos, you might want to think about it. ~50% of USN Pilots fly helos.