• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Training Locations

MasterBates

Helicopter Antisubmarine- Light.

Light is a misnomer, and a holdover from the H2 Days, when it really was lighter thant the H3.

Mav87

so if you have say an instrument rating you automatically skip IFS and go to advanced where you start on the T-34C and learn advance aircraft systems/manuevers etc.?

MasterBates

If you have a PPL or higher, no IFS.

You go to primary like everyone else. You may skip a few flights if you are "accelerated" but you will not totally skip anything..

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
so if you have say an instrument rating you automatically skip IFS and go to advanced where you start on the T-34C and learn advance aircraft systems/manuevers etc.?
You wont be able to do IFS, but you will start primary from the beginning like everyone else.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Does that mean you get ahead of your classmates and go to API or do you wait until there done?
You wont have to wait for anybody. When they are doing IFS, if your time is up to start API, you will start. So you will get in there a few weeks before they will.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I'm not saying they can't be taught by the Navy. I'm just saying that all the guys he flew with from UND were not good pilots. He said that they didn't have good instrument skills and couldn't multi-task in the cockpit. I'm not saying that they couldn't be taught those skills but he just didn't feel that UND was teaching those skills.

I'll call BS on this one. True your other quote about having some shitbags from UND may be true, but like all aviation places, they put out good pilots, average pilots, and crap pilots. Because UND has such a large aviation program, well over a 1000 flight students, there are going to be quite a few shitty pilots. Because they are paying customers, no need to wash them out I guess. Anyways UND only keeps the good pilots as instructors, the crap ones go other places to instruct. Gives UND a bad image though, I had a friend who was a horrible pilot go down to FIT in FL, because he couldn't get an instructing job anywhere else, I'm sure he gave UND a bad name. And of the 10 or so UND grads that I know personally that have gone into the Navy all have scored high 60s to 80s.

But personally I think as well as you do in Primary, its all about how lucky you are with who you fly with (easy graders vs mif monsters), and when you select.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I'll call BS on this one. True your other quote about having some shitbags from UND may be true, but like all aviation places, they put out good pilots, average pilots, and crap pilots. Because UND has such a large aviation program, well over a 1000 flight students, there are going to be quite a few shitty pilots. Because they are paying customers, no need to wash them out I guess. Anyways UND only keeps the good pilots as instructors, the crap ones go other places to instruct. Gives UND a bad image though, I had a friend who was a horrible pilot go down to FIT in FL, because he couldn't get an instructing job anywhere else, I'm sure he gave UND a bad name. And of the 10 or so UND grads that I know personally that have gone into the Navy all have scored high 60s to 80s.

But personally I think as well as you do in Primary, its all about how lucky you are with who you fly with (easy graders vs mif monsters), and when you select.
Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about.:)

KSUFLY

pilot

High 60s to 80s? How do you score in the 80s? Well, I guess you can like my KSU alum that went to Vance and got an 82 NSS. All the KSU guys I know are jet guys (except me because I chose E2/C2) so what's that say about KSU? Bad ass pilots!!! But all seriousness, there are good and bad pilots from everywhere but I'm saying that the guy I flew with had bad studs from UND and he said it wasn't just them but their consistant tendencies in the plane that comes from a way of teaching. That's all I'm saying.

Mav87

I go to FIT and its a great aviation school becase there arent too many students(maybe 400) in the flight program so you get better instructing. What are these test scores from that determine what you get(jets, props, helos) and where can i find sample ones?

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I know several that got 80s, not higher than 80 though. I've heard of a couple of guys from Whiting getting an 81 or 82, something sick like that. I think the Vance guy that you're talking about went through OCS a class ahead of me, little short stocky guy?

I guess a high NSS won't do you very well lately, last week my buddy with a 67 didn't get any of his choices, same with a couple of weeks ago when guys with 67s and 65s weren't getting their first choices either, but at least they were fortunate enough to select E2/C2!

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
I go to FIT and its a great aviation school becase there arent too many students(maybe 400) in the flight program so you get better instructing. What are these test scores from that determine what you get(jets, props, helos) and where can i find sample ones?

A 52 NSS is the jet cutoff, but thats about where the grades end. It all depends on the needs of the service. Its been said a million times on here, just work your tail off and let the chips fall where they may. As you can see by what other people are saying, even if you rock the program, the week you select might be helo week with very few slots for fixed wing.