• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary closed out for 6-9 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaerose

Dupe, thanks. So what town in Florida falls between the two, or is the drive not so bad? Is it better to live in the middle, or does it matter? Where did you go to college (ISU?)?

JR

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Pace falls between the two, if you can really call it a town though. Not much in between. A lot of people live on the outskirts of Pensacola--to the east (keeps you closer to everything else, not to mention saving yourself a move after API).

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You need to live in central downtown P'cola. Rents cheap and the view is awesome.

Dave

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a note for all new guys coming down. Until they change the policy again, if you go to Whiting for Primary, you WILL live at the BOQ at Whiting.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Unless your married.

Also, I asked at the wing here and they have not heard anything about primary being closed down for 6-9 months. They said "You know what they say about rumors". We have had a class start up every week for the last who knows how long and there are class dates through November on the board. So.... Primary isnt closed here at Wing 4. All of the Sept Oct and November class are wide open so take it for what its worth.

Dave

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, unless you're married.

And it's not closed, it's just basically a trickle of new students. Something like 4/week or however it works. That's from Flight Management.

jaerose

Why are they making single people live in the BOQ? That sucks since I wanted to get place down there on my own. Of course, I won't have to worry about that until January. It does make me lean towards CC, though.

JR
www.jdroseberry.info

dfflynn

Ok here is the deal with the delay with primary. The first class to be affected is API class 4203 they have 4 navy pilots in the class 2 for corpus 2 for whitting. They are finishing week one tomarrow. All classes for the forseable future will have 4 NAVY pilots, this is a reduction of 8 NAVY pilots per week. This does not apply to NFOs. As far as marines, costies, AF, and foriegners there is no change. Given the time left in API for 4203 and the wait time before classing up at the training wing the reduction in primary class size will not be seen for at least another 10 weeks. So the point of this post is that if you haven't classed up for API our haven't reported to API yet you will be waiting for quite a while.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the way, the moving thing, if you're married you ARE going to Whiting. You can't choose Corpus.

beau

Waiting to report or class up?? Meaning that if report in Dec, then I could wait how long before I start?

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Ditto the question above... and the married thing... what if you're married (or soon to be married) to someone in Kingsville? Can you still go to Corpus? (Okay, I'm sure there is no answer to the question since this special case probably applies to no one else, but since you've given me something to worry about, I'll freak out for a minute or two, thanks)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, you're going to NASP for API, regardless. So, you're already moving. That's something I'd ask your detailer.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Fly Navy,

Yeah, heading out to Eglin as well this Monday (August 11). Shipmates picked my gear up for me today, as there are 6 Coasties and 3 Navy folks starting Monday.

Unfortunately, Eglin only had enough gear for 6 people. You can guess which service got their gear. ;)

Also, Debbie of IFS told us today that the 3 schools are maxed to the gils with students. I do know the Coast Guard has more than their normal load of students in the program. We're hurting for pilots and had an extra selection board in April (normally do 2 a year, this year will be 3 boards).

Yes, NAS Whiting Field is about 10 miles north of Milton, FL - which is where I live. All Coasties do Primary at Whiting Field. Advanced either at Whiting for helos, or Corpus for fixed wings. Milton is pretty well centrally located for my purposes.

I start IFS FINALLY Monday - after 2 med-downs including minor surgery. 7 attempts at a spinal hurt more than the damn cutting... :| Glad they finally knocked me out!

If you want to know why Milton no longer has an IFS school: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20021010X05302&key=1 My guess would be the Navy discontinued using Milton until the investigation is complete.

Oh, and if you're bored, check out my MoBlog - http://coastie.textamerica.com - I still have some pictures I need to catch up on (taken but not posted). I'll post some shots of the IFS Brief, my Eglin/IFS gear, API books, and some other mics stuff tomorrow. Quality isn't great as it's taken with my cell phone. I'll have to pick up a new digital camera to record my frolicking in the clouds.. or whatever..

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Unless they changed something, I came to Corpus and I'm married. I also have numerous married friends going through primary here with me. So... Unless they changed the something. API is TAD for everyone. You are not PCS'd untill you go to a primary squadron.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.