• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prep for and passing PRT at OCS

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
So they can just fail you flat out for no reason if they wanted to?

/disclaimer
My experiences were in the dark ages of the '70s
/end disclaimer

When I went through, "They" could sense those who were on the edge of failure, and hasten the process. If the candidate "got it all in one sock," and started improving, that was good. If the candidate continued his downward spiral, then he probably wasn't suited for the military, and more importantly the aviation military. They stressed "attention to detail." Later on, in flight training, one came to the realization that there was a purpose to their methods.
I can't speak for today's OCS, but i imagine that things aren't that much different overall.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
That still seems applicable today though.

It's starting to make more sense on why they do things that way. Good insight.

WIDGET

in candio-phase, a classmate was standing next to master guns. (master guns runs H-class). master guns pointed at an indoc candidate and told a DI, "I want him." So the DI walked over to the indoc, took away x push-ups, and the kid got rolled to H. if master guns wants you, there's no form in the world that's going to stop him.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
in candio-phase, a classmate was standing next to master guns. (master guns runs H-class). master guns pointed at an indoc candidate and told a DI, "I want him." So the DI walked over to the indoc, took away x push-ups, and the kid got rolled to H. if master guns wants you, there's no form in the world that's going to stop him.
It's not like Master Guns just picked some dude out of the blue. DI's don't do anything by random chance, everything has a meaning and a purpose behind it. That candidate did something to get put into H that he shouldn't of done and he will be set straight.

WIDGET

oh absolutely. i'm not saying he was blindly pointing at people. heck, he could have even known something about the indoc from his file. my point is that sometimes, it doesn't matter how good one's form is.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
oh absolutely. i'm not saying he was blindly pointing at people. heck, he could have even known something about the indoc from his file. my point is that sometimes, it doesn't matter how good one's form is.

God Bless Master Guns and Trash can love and the Master Chief Petty Officer of H class....

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
i dont understand people who show up to OCS fat and out of shape. unless you're a prior and coming straight from the fleet...

BackOrdered

Contributor
That isn't an excuse either.

Mentally it does. Some assume fleet push ups and sit ups will count. I got into a huge thing about sit up form with a NROTC OC saying that my recruiter is just trying to get into my head about OCS and that the form doesn't have to be perfect based off experience from NSI. I still haven't paid any heed to that advice.

fatathaland

You will do the In-PFA on around your third day. You will not be fresh and well rested like you might be before a PRT with your recruiter. You will be fatigued, physically and mentally, and in a very strange environment.

Someone mentioned this, but it is very important to take into account. Do not PRT fresh as can be, it is not realistic!

lmnop

Mentally it does. Some assume fleet push ups and sit ups will count.
There are enough resources on the internets these days that there is absolutely no reason for a fleeter to show up unprepared. The in-PRT standards and proper form for the exercises are discussed ad nauseum on several forums.

Starscream

OCS physical training

I was recently selected to go to OCS May 24th and had a few questions if someone didn't mind. I have been excercising (running, pushups, sit-ups, and so on) and was told recently that my running time, pushups, and sit-ups will get worse at the end of the first week OCS. I have a 10-11 minute mile and a half run time, max out at about 54 pushups (around sixty on a good day) in two minutes (I try to do 200 to 300 pushups a day), and max out at the minimum sit-ups. It feels like I am not improving on my pushups or sit-ups and was wondering if I could be pushing too hard? Do I need to take a day off or just keep pushing myself so that I am used to it in OCS (so that my score won't get worse)? Any feedback would be appreciated

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Prepare the best you can for the PT and in-PRT before you get there and you will be fine. You will more than likely be fatigued more than you ever have in your life the first week just because the schedule you will be on is nuts, so you might lose a little but the first week is all about showing how bad you want to be there and putting out. As long as you are putting out 100% of the time through out all of OCS you will have very little problems. As for the rest of OCS the PT will take care of itself and you will get better at all of it, I guarantee it.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Make sure you are doing your push ups correctly. And yeah...at the end of the first week your muscles will be so full of lactic acid that you'll be a little weaker than you were when you got there.

It's the whole "break your body down and then rebuild it the way I want it" thing. Be prepared to have your body broken down...just don't give up or get injured.