• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Preferred Defense Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, what's your preferred defense ammo for your handgun? For my SIG P226 9mm I like Winchester Ranger-T 127gr +P+. Has one of, if not THE, best records on the street for 9mm ammunition. For my Glock 23 .40S&W I like Winchester Ranger-T 165gr. I used to go with the 180gr, but I saw better results with the mid-weight bullet. In my Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum I like the Winchester Super-X Silvertip 145gr. Has a good record on the street.

ranger3-top.gif

superx-top.gif

Grant

I keep 124 gr. JHP Federal Hydrashoks in my Ruger P95, mainly due to them having a pretty solid reputation. I really havent experimented much with different brands or weights, I'll get around to it one of these days.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
I keep 124 gr. JHP Federal Hydrashoks in my Ruger P95, mainly due to them having a pretty solid reputation. I really havent experimented much with different brands or weights, I'll get around to it one of these days.

That's my old load, but I found a source for Ranger-T and switched.

I actually have 16 rounds of Winchester Black Talon that a friend gave me for sh!ts and giggles. I keep em for the hell of it (not for use, just to have).

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just thinking about this - what with the new pistol and all. I was reading up and came across these:
NEW_45+P.jpg

http://www.ammoman.com/40_EP_DESC.htm

Anyone know anything about them? They seem to address some of the issues that pop up with JHPs (namely feeding and hydraulic expansion failure). Right now, I just keep it loaded with your run of the mill 230gr ball.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In 1911s, which are notoriously finicky with JHP (wasn't designed with them in mind of course), this is a good choice. They have a decent record. Like JHPs, they sometimes don't expand, so always be aware of that.

Grant

Squeeze, those sound like they're definitely worth a try. Since it seems like alot of 1911's and JHP's dont work well together, those "expanding FMJ" might be the hot ticket.

*EDIT* Looks like Fly Navy beat me to the punch. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My preferred ammo is whatever works reliably (100% of the time) in whatever I am carrying at any given point in time .....

I have never had a paper target give me any sh!t or talk back to me, however ......
happysmall4ry.gif

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
My preferred ammo is whatever works reliably (100% of the time) in whatever I am carrying at any given point in time .....

I have never had a paper target give me any sh!t or talk back to me, however ......
happysmall4ry.gif

Haha so vague, but fits the perfect parameters. No preferred carry ammo?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Haha so vague, but fits the perfect parameters. No preferred carry ammo?
In the past year .... knives, kubotans, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, .38 special, .38 special +P, 9mm , 9mm +P and +P+, .357 SIG, .40 S&W ..... this is the first year I have not "carried" my all time best friend --- .45 ACP. Go figure ..... who said you can't teach an old dog ..... ???

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Glock 23: for the range, .40 S&W Winchester 180 gr. FMJ
in the mags for home defense, Speer Gold Dot 155 gr. GDHP

Lawman

None
Ive seen a lot of the guys I work with drool over the Ranger T's, (what used to be the Black Talon) but I stay away from them because of the brass casings.

My old load was Federal 147 grain Hydrashok JHP for my 9mm P7, they feed really well and took the constant loading and unloading of the weapon without marring up the rim of the casing. I also carried Federal 180 grain JHP for my .40, also constantly being loaded and unloaded so the nickel cases seemed to take the abuse better.

I have since switched over to Hornady TAP (Tactical Application Police) 155 grain JHP for my .40, which get almost 1200 fps velocity (very nice), and Hornady TAP 124gr JHP in my 9mm which get about 1100 fps out of the barrel Im firing them from. Nice thing about these is they are incredibly accurate, have a very low muzzle flash, are steel cased so there is no worrys about chewing up the rim with an extractor pin, and best of all (for me because this may be an issue) they have one of the highest penetration through barriers capabilities of any round out there for a hand gun. So If I need to shoot through a windshield or car door (again, the whole job thing) I have a much better round to do it with.

oztin79

I keep 11 Hydrashocks in my PT-145 with an auxilary clip of 10 more (in case I wake up in Syria any given Sunday), but use Russian-made Wolf as my range ammo. Got 1,000 rounds for about $150 at www.sportsmansguide.com. Great deals on bulk range ammo there. (Also www.ammoman.com is pretty good). Cheers.

Lawman

None
oztin79 said:
I keep 11 Hydrashocks in my PT-145 with an auxilary clip of 10 more (in case I wake up in Syria any given Sunday), but use Russian-made Wolf as my range ammo. Got 1,000 rounds for about $150 at www.sportsmansguide.com. Great deals on bulk range ammo there. (Also www.ammoman.com is pretty good). Cheers.

Just make sure you never...ever...ever! take your range guns home and not clean them right after firing Wolf ammunition. Most ranges that buy ammo will not buy wolf, heck mine wont even take it for free because people would shoot it in the range guns and those guns wont get cleaned for a while and it will do all sorts of nasty stuff to the weapon. Same thing with a lot of the old surplus lead ball ammo you'll find at gun shows it will contain chemicals that modern ammo wont and this was before our greater understanding of chemistry and its effects on metelergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.