• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Porkchop shenanigans, allegedy crappy boat food, and the Great BAS Debate of 2020

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ohh...ohh...boat food! Boat food!
Agreed. Look, I get it. Boat food is marginal at best, but it's just part of life on the boat, which we take along with all the other annoyances, inconveniences and hardships. It's part of the sacrifice of service, and at the end of the day, expecting free food is neither reasonable, nor the hill anyone should want to die on, and that's all I have to say about that. :)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Contrast that with my last deployment, where we had (I kid you not) weeks straight of only five different kinds of chicken for lunch and dinner, and then weeks straight of only cold pasta, and you can see my issue. I understand factors outside of the Suppo's control, but in this case we had regular UNREPs and she just hadn't planned the food deliveries appropriately. I'm certainly not expecting higher quality food than the troops, and I know that CS does not equal gourmet chef. However, when the food sucks because the SUPPO is incompetent, I'd like there to be some accountability, or at least the ability for us to withhold mess dues until its fixed.
Maybe this is an opportunity to take work off SUPPO's plate, and for artificial intelligence and machine learning to augment Supply Div.

It's not that hard for a computer to calculate X personnel onboard the particular ship, for Y more days until the next UNREP or port call, with Z cubic ft of fridge/freezer space available, and W food options either in the next port or the next resupply ship. Restaurant and hotel chains have started to automate these purchases and use predictive modeling and just-in-time inventory management to anticipate and prevent shortages.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is crappy boat food really that universal these days? It seemed to be rather different from one CV to the next in my experience. Wardroom meals were very good on Big E over two deployments. One of the MSs, or whatever they are called now days, got a NAM for his soups. On Ranger it was pretty bad. Everyone was Jonesing for an invite to the Chief's Mess. On watch, a trip to the mess decks was a nice change of pace. Heard good and bad from other airwing dudes doing westpacs on various CVs.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You sure about that? There wouldn't be any more "bio" incidents airborne. Then again where would we get all those great plane pooping stories...
I’m sure. I was in Afghanistan during the opening months of the war and ate MREs for quite some time. The impact on the human body and soul is notable. After a while you don’t even want to heat them any more...you just shove it in your mouth. My first warm, actually cooked, meal was fantastic while probably being under ordinary in reality. I still remember that meal.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I’m sure. I was in Afghanistan during the opening months of the war and ate MREs for quite some time. The impact on the human body and soul is notable. After a while you don’t even want to heat them any more...you just shove it in your mouth. My first warm, actually cooked, meal was fantastic while probably being under ordinary in reality. I still remember that meal.

You should always take the time to heat your MRE packets, and eat them like a gentleman.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
FOD walkdown in a rain storm would solc

You are collecting BAS while deployed, no?
Sure, but the monthly mess bill is about $100 more than my BAS. So, I pay more money to eat on the boat than I'm entitled to when not deployed.

Why is my mess bill more than the BAS I'm entitled to? Additionally, my wife and kids still eat at home, so being deployed essentially doubles my monthly food bill. Not everyone is a single O-5.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Sure, but the monthly mess bill is about $100 more than my BAS. So, I pay more money to eat on the boat than I'm entitled to when not deployed.

Why is my mess bill more than the BAS I'm entitled to?
Eat more?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Rumor has it that if you eat the MRE cheese and the peanut butter at the same time your left leg will actually blow off. Terrible.
I never found any effect from the wives tale about the cheese and the peanut butter. The time in my career where I would have eaten the most Meals Refusing to Exit was as a FAC with LAR. I got laughed at the first time in the field for actually eating one. All the officers took advantage of the cushy ride and brought Jet Boils and dehydrated meals.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I never found any effect from the wives tale about the cheese and the peanut butter. The time in my career where I would have eaten the most Meals Refusing to Exit was as a FAC with LAR. I got laughed at the first time in the field for actually eating one. All the officers took advantage of the cushy ride and brought Jet Boils and dehydrated meals.
Were you with 2nd LAR in 2003? I worked with them a bit in Babil Iraq.