• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC Stipend

livefast

I'm curious whether any PLCers have taken the stipend. How much did you get? Was it a lump sum, or was it payed out monthly? What obligations do you incur if you take it?

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Memory serving, it's about $2500 a year, lump sum, and you add 6 months to your obligation. I'm surprised your OSO didn't outline this for you.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
It is currently $3000 in two installments of $1500. You are only eligible if you have attended juniors.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
It was offered to me after I finished the 10-week PLC. I think you need to have finished at least one session of PLC before you can get it. I didnt take it so I'm not sure of the details.

MasterHaynes86

$1575 lump sum per semester
you must attend PLC in some form or fashion to receive this. PLC-Srs get a little more I think, but I do not know the amount.

hope it helps...

PS: Take it... You extend your contract for 6 months TOTAL and you end up getting (if you start as a PLC jr) about 9k cash for college to use as you please. Do not take MCTAF unless you have prior service because it pushes your pay entry date up to the day you commission, though u get more money for college... Avoid MCTAF if you do not have prior service... I cannot stress this enough... as a PLC-jr it is the difference between an extra $750/month compared to most other Lts... This means you get the priviledge of buying drinks on libo, lol

narfmasta

$1575 lump sum per semester
you must attend PLC in some form or fashion to receive this. PLC-Srs get a little more I think, but I do not know the amount.

hope it helps...

PS: Take it... You extend your contract for 6 months TOTAL and you end up getting (if you start as a PLC jr) about 9k cash for college to use as you please. Do not take MCTAF unless you have prior service because it pushes your pay entry date up to the day you commission, though u get more money for college... Avoid MCTAF if you do not have prior service... I cannot stress this enough... as a PLC-jr it is the difference between an extra $750/month compared to most other Lts... This means you get the priviledge of buying drinks on libo, lol

i'm pretty sure i'm going to end up taking the MCTAF because I am doing OCS this summer and then i'm graduating this semester. i will have what, 6 months more than the other guy?

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
narf: You're intending to get commissioned right after OCS? If so, your PEBD shouldn't be grossly affected, as I'm sure you figured out for yourself. Just know that if there is any delay between OCS and commissioning, i.e. breaking your ankle, you'll kiss away thousands of dollars in future salary (if you're not prior enlisted).

narfmasta

narf: You're intending to get commissioned right after OCS? If so, your PEBD shouldn't be grossly affected, as I'm sure you figured out for yourself. Just know that if there is any delay between OCS and commissioning, i.e. breaking your ankle, you'll kiss away thousands of dollars in future salary (if you're not prior enlisted).

yeah. I'm doing PLC combined this summer and should everything go as planned, I'll commission this December when I graduate.

MasterHaynes86

ummm, i think MCTAF adds more onto your contract... But I do not know how long the extension is...

If you dont NEED the MCTAF, dont take it... what if u have to extend another semester... ect...

narfmasta

ummm, i think MCTAF adds more onto your contract... But I do not know how long the extension is...

If you dont NEED the MCTAF, dont take it... what if u have to extend another semester... ect...

I have 12 hours in the fall, may God help me if I fail a class for the first time in my last semester.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I misread. Taking the MCTAF will move your PEBD from May to December, which, for the first 5 years (or so) of your career, will shrink your paycheck. Check out a payscale and note the difference between O-1 with 1 year and with 2 years. Imagine yourself getting that difference for 6 months, then the difference between 2 years and 3 years for 6 months the next year, etc. Let us know how much it comes out to.