• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Playstation 2 flight simulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

PharaelGA18

Do playstation 2 flight simulators (like Aero Elite:Combat Academy, and Ace Combat 4)come close to handling like a real jet as far as control and pitch of the jets?

NuSnake

haha what do you think man.......

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
you know one day i thought about renting that new top gun game for ps2, untill i read the back of the box that explained how to play the game and it said:

"in order to turn your fighter you must roll the way you want to turn then pull up just like a real fighter!!!"

thats when i stopped to wonder what other no brainers they had to explain.

my advice...stick with Janes

jaerose

Maybe their not great Sims, but Ace Combat 4 is one of my favorite games. I love dogfighting against other people. The game kicks arse!

JR

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
If you're wannabe, like me, you'll spend countless hours in front of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. Honestly, you can learn tons about instruments and procedures from this sim; fly ILS, VOR, GPS and NDB landings.
Make sure you get a good yoke and pedals setup.

Or, if you've got money, head down to the local airport and get some real stick time.......

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

jaerose

Yeah, Top Gun for PS2 is a sad attempt. With that name-sake you'd think they'd deliver a good game.

JR

wali

Well dude, until you actually get to fly the real life aircrafts, you need to fly the IL-2 Sturmovik and the upgrade "The Forgotten Battles". Proven to be the most realistic flight sim and the best online experience. Will teach anyone humility in a second. I know I learned humility after being shot down nearly 10 times before I got one. Falcon 4.0 was also pretty realistic but kind of hard to run on XP.

About playstation and Xbox, forget it. Completely for entertainment, heck you can pull 5000 g's in an F-4...ha ha. Get IL-2 and FS2002 and fly in full real mode. FS2002 has many great military addons that might make flying a bit more realistic. I just bought an F-16 from Lago and honestly, I can't land the damn thing on full realism without damage to the gear.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah i still play falcon 4.0. In fact its the only pc game I play. I want to get my hands on a copy of janes F/a-18 but I havnt been able to find it.

Bushmaster

Well, I wouldnt count PS2 arcades as "simulations" in the first place... As others said above, you should get MSFS 2002 where you can pratice instrument procedures. For Naval aviation I would highly recommend Jane's F/A-18... That sim will teach you a lot about naval aviators combat environment...

I got my copy from a SNA :) on eBay... give it a try...

Hudson

F/A-18 is really cool. Wish I could master refueling. Every thing else is great. I don't think Janes is making any more flight sims. Heard that somewhere. Every now and then you can find a copy of one of these in stores but not very often. They have another sim called WWII fighters. It has better graphics and shows battle damage on the planes. Makes for a fun experiance in a dog fight. As far as the IL-2 Sturmovik you need a bit of memory or something because the graphics are really slow on my computer. Good game, yes very humbling.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
While you're at it, check out Microsoft's line of Combat Flight Simulators. I've got the pacific theater, all Navy WWII planes (!) complete with an era carrier. Quite fun stuff!

But again, look into MS2002; having experience with instruments and general knowledge of airmanship probably can't hurt!
icon_smile.gif

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

jaerose

I've got a copy of the Jane's F/A-18. It didn't run on my old pc, but maybe I'll install it on this one. Also, I think we're all forgetting...all of these are games and despite the amount of 'realism' they have, none of them are going to make you a jet fighter ace. Sure, they can help with knowing the layout of the cockpit and such, but among other things, none of them can simulate the forces that you'll experience when pulling maneuvers. So, really they're all just entertainment, but I still love to play 'em.

JR

contrail_dash

I would reccomend that no one play any of the Microsoft Combat flight sims...they are a joke. Get IL2 Forgotten Battles. Yeah its a memory hog...but its worth it. By far the best/most realistic WWII era sim.

Wish I had the money to finish my private though.....serious serious withdrawl

19873016.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.