• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform locations/Going westcoast

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thought I'd weigh in here. Just completed a P-3 tour at Whidbey. First off, the P-3 culture frowns on anything "fun". It is the "shoe" aviation community. The planes are so bad, that they are throwing them in the trash can for fear of the wings falling off. If you are on home cycle(aka not in the god@amn desert), you will only fly once or twice a month due to lack of aircraft etc..., so you will have more time to do your primary and secondary jobs of being a dept head's bitch (all of them, not just your dept head). I am in the VT's now, and talking with my peers fresh off of sea duty, I realize that I was wrong in thinking that Naval Aviation peaked in the 80's and has now become a Politically Correct shadow of itself. Naval Aviation is fine, the P-3 community has AIDS. Run!!! Run as fast as you can to ANY other platform!!!!!
So, I take it you left as an MP?

P

P-3's Suck

#2 EP. One of 3 JO IP's. But, you trying to portray me as an underachiever doesn't change the facts. If I didn't care, I wouldn't post. I'm just trying to help some kid thats been fed a line of bullsh@t about flying a 737 from making the biggest mistake of his career. That plane will no not be in the fleet for AT LEAST a decade, but the terrible reality of the community will always be there.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Just completed a P-3 tour at Whidbey.

Run, Run as fast as you can from selecting P-3's in WHIDBEY... Fixed that for you. Go to Hawaii boys, we accept the suck then go surfing at lunch time... CPRW-10 loved 'em some ARP didn't they? Enjoy Corpus, your fellow P-3 brethren shall re-cage your brain for you. Picturing hugging & crying with Bob who has bitch tits..

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thought I'd weigh in here. Just completed a P-3 tour at Whidbey.
Time for you to submit your resignation letter and get out of the Navy. No one needs your attitude, especially in an officer.

I hope that when one of your studs ask you about EP-3 life (from what I've been told, you are VQ not VP) that you are at lest semi-professional in your answer and give them a non-emotional pro / con picture instead of the crap you posted here.

I have no problem with posting the down-side of VP / VQ life. It is the way you post it that chaps my ass. There are many problems in every community and discussing these problems is a valid and needed thing. But remember, this isn't just your buds in the squadron you are bitching to. This is a public site with many non-military and military wanna-be members. There are also pretty high ranking Navy officers (one Admiral was on here just this morning) lurking around. We joke and bitch about many things, but when discussing serious topics, keep it professional.

phrogpilot73

Time for you to submit your resignation letter and get out of the Navy. No one needs your attitude, especially in an officer.
I agree wholeheartedly. When I was getting out, I was still beating the drum of retention and how great the mission/life is to the young guys. I viewed it as one of my responsibilities.

I have no problem with posting the down-side of VP / VQ life. It is the way you post it that chaps my ass. There are many problems in every community and discussing these problems is a valid and needed thing.
You are correct. The biggest problem I see in the VP/VQ community is a lack of rotor blades. :D

We joke and bitch about many things, but when discussing serious topics, keep it professional.
Again, I agree wholeheartedly. My comment about #1 EP was referencing the apparent bad attitude that you rolled in hot with. Whether or not you like the Navy, whether or not you like your mission, somebody else may like it. What HAL said is good advice... Look at it this way - I could never spend a minute of my life underwater on a sub, but some guys live for that. Do I try and talk guys out of going jets? Yup. But the main way in which I do it is "those guys are gay." If someone really wants jets, I'll try and get them linked up with buddies that do fly the pointy nose things. I'd never, ever publicly bad mouth my community. I will point out problems, but I was always taught that when you point out a problem - better have a solution to go along with it...

P

P-3's Suck

Well, gentlemen, you make very good points. I guess I should continue pucsing the cool-aid punch bowl, just like every other "good" VP officer. Don't bother letting the truth get in the way. As far as community goes, Id rather have VD in my medical record, than VQ in my service record. I talk to the VQ guys, and they all say that VP is still the best way to go. At least we (VP) still get to shoot weapons... if only practice shots. If you must go P-3's, then VP is the better route. Obviously lots of guys with blinders on here. Carry on.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, gentlemen, you make very good points. I guess I should continue pucsing the cool-aid punch bowl, just like every other "good" VP officer. Don't bother letting the truth get in the way. As far as community goes, Id rather have VD in my medical record, than VQ in my service record. I talk to the VQ guys, and they all say that VP is still the best way to go. At least we (VP) still get to shoot weapons... if only practice shots. If you must go P-3's, then VP is the better route. Obviously lots of guys with blinders on here. Carry on.

Now don't get all pissy on us. I'm not VP or VQ, so I have no dog in this fight, but bear in mind that everyone now knows you're going to be a VT IP and w/ that comes some professionalism. Let the studs know your opinion, but make sure they know it's just that, YOUR opinion. I have zero desire to fly a P-3, be it E or otherwise, but I'm not going to tell studs they shouldn't go for it and I'm going to make them understand that while some hate it, others love it.

If you think VT IPs are going around bad-mouthing their communities to studs, think again. Yes, we'll give some "perspective," but like it or not, you are in the recruiting business. Don't be a Debbie Downer because you chose/were chosen to go a way that didn't work out as you hoped (and believe me, I can sympathize).

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

There is a large difference between having gripes about your job and complaining in a proper manner and spewing venom to anyone who will listen. What benefit will you get out of acting like this? So YOU don't like YOUR job. Suck it up and get out when you can. Don't act like a child and possible steer away someone who would genuinely enjoy P-3's.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
`
Naval Aviation is fine, the P-3 community has AIDS. Run!!! Run as fast as you can to ANY other platform!!!!!

Ok... maybe that's my new NMCI signature especially after HAL beat me to Douche Bag...

On the flip side. The best thing that ever happened to me in hindsight was not getting props out of primary. When HSL shared a hangar with VPs 1 & 9 in Barbers, I could see the daily agony, misery, and utter complete hopelessness on the JOs faces across the catwalk. I'm not talking piddly stuff like the VP mafia making you wear summer whites while standing SDO in a greasy, dusty, and dilapidated hangar. It was the whole culture. Neidemeir strives in it, we others avoid it.

incubus852

pilot
do P3s really suck this badly? any other P3 guys out there wanna comment? i had heard before that P3s were a pretty chill community and everyone enjoyed them... wrong?

mb1k

pilot
None
do P3s really suck this badly? any other P3 guys out there wanna comment? i had heard before that P3s were a pretty chill community and everyone enjoyed them... wrong?

Let me put it this way... every party-line P3 pilot I've ever met has out Air Force'd the Air Force. Meaning they are so type A and into irrelevant minutiae that you have to question the motivation behind such fervor for knowledge that your oil bypass valve contains a 50-micron filter upstream or the wing has xx number of rivets.

I left the Navy and flew Air Force 135s. We were required to fly the jet, be safe, understand the TOLD, know our EPs and bring the jet and the crew back safe. How is it that a 300,000 lbs. 40-year old jet has less ass pain associated with it's annual flight check than a T-34C or TC-12?!? It's the P3 and LAMPS virus that's why.

P3 guys are chill, just NOT most of the golden haired poster boys of the community. Just like regular people, there are good and bad, but it seems that LAMPS and P3s nurture a certain "type".

I'm starting to spool up...:icon_rage

phrogpilot73

Not knowing anything about LAMPS, I'd argue that knowing the minutiae in a helo is important. We don't have the yellow & black handles or parachutes, so knowing that minutiae might just save our lives...

mb1k

pilot
None
Not knowing anything about LAMPS, I'd argue that knowing the minutiae in a helo is important. We don't have the yellow & black handles or parachutes, so knowing that minutiae might just save our lives...

NOT. Knowing what material your elastomeric bearings are made of, what tolerance the titanium hub is machined to at Sikorsky, the molecular composition of your Good Year tires, how many filaments per square inch of defrosting mesh is in your canopy, the max luminance rating of your of visual display cubes when set to full bright, and the length of the interconnecting tube between your fuel bladders has NOTHING to do with saving your life.

That my friend is LAMPS.

Knowing EPs and systems is a measure of a well trained crew; pilots, HACS, 2Ps, and AWs. Getting into engineering specs is just harassment.

Saying that. I'm guilty of getting into the specs myself. Especially electrical stuff. You never know when being able to trick-fvck a systems can get you a failed system back on line. BUT I NEVER MADE ANYONE I WAS GIVING A CHECKRIDE TO responsible for that. That's AOM discussion material. Not NATOPS requirement.

I've got a gripe about the tools out there that don't differentiate and we've gotten into arguments about downgrading guys on NATOPS checks for such minutiae. At least in the AF it's clear what you can and can't be evaluated on. Period.