• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

places to shoot in Pensacola

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
The only thing he moved down in is magazine capacity. :D

Hahaha

I'm a snob. Moving to a Springfield 1911, even a loaded model, is a step down from a SIG... in my opinion ;)

(That said, my next purchase will be a Springfield MilSpec)

theduke

as far as the SIG vs 1911, i love them both in their own way.

my SIG had about eleventy billion rounds through it, though, and i had an opportunity to sell it for $75 more than what i paid for it, so i went for it. i'll prob buy another SIG, but i'll get one glovebox/waistband/ankle holster sized next time, since the 1911 is too big and too pretty for that sort of use.

both of those pistols are fantastically accurate. i shot a 385/400 on the USMC pistol qual with the Beretta , and my target looked like i'd hit it with a shotgun compared to what either the 226 or the 1911 will do.

the SIG also had a damned awesome trigger for a DA/SA pistol. the 1911 trigger is good right now, and i'm sure it'll get better as everything gets broken in.

i'm sure it's partly me being biased towards what i've owned, but i don't think you can go wrong with either of those weapons.

Next up (pistol-wise, at least...i want a 12ga Wingmaster) will prob be a SIG Trailside.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Those are cool little pieces. I'd like to have a little plinker myself...maybe a Ruger Mark II.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
Those are cool little pieces. I'd like to have a little plinker myself...maybe a Ruger Mark II.

Excellent pistol. Hard to find a better .22 pistol out there.

theduke

update:

called Pistol Parlor...they no longer operate a range. According to them, the range on W street is also defunct, and the only operational range remaining in the area is Santa Rose Gun Club. Also, FYI, Santa Rose Gun Club isn't open on Mondays or Tuesdays.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I've checked out the 2 ranges left listed (called, at least) and this is what I found out

The Escambia river muzzle loaders require NRA memebership to shoot and are closed right now anyway.

Santa Rosa just has a recording when I called.

Is there a place I can shoot in pensacola that doesn't require NRA membership?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
alabama_matt said:
I've checked out the 2 ranges left listed (called, at least) and this is what I found out

The Escambia river muzzle loaders require NRA memebership to shoot and are closed right now anyway.

Santa Rosa does not require a NRA membership. It is open Wed-Sun, to the public.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
alabama_matt said:

Re: Escambia River Muzzle Loaders...

There is a clay pit adjacent to their facility that is generally considered fair game/open. I would give that a try. You'll see all manner of Red Neck Fellows there drinking beet and plinking from the back of their pickups.
Might not be all tidy and everything but it's free.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Thanks for the advice. I plan on heading out this week to shoot my new pistol for the first time.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway--does Santa Rosa have pistols you can rent and try out, or is it bring-your-own-firearm?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a bring your own firearm range. (I know I PM'd you with that info, but so others may know as well...)

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Okay, so we've established there isn't a place in Pensacola or right close that has a good range + handgun rentals. Is there any other place in the 350 mile radius that anyone knows about that does rent handguns and has at least a decent range? I'm going to check other places too, just thought I'd give this a shot also.

snort

Banned
Check this board, they have the info.
http://www.packing.org

I can personally recommend the Alabama Training Institute and Pistol Range in Birmingham, but it's a long way from P'cola.

I'll send you a PM.

@theduke: I've been shooting an 870 wingmaster for about 25 years, and it shoots better now than when new. I've tried all the autloaders, and I still go back to the 870. I shoot like a fool with that gun.

As for the pistol, I love a my Colt Commander. I've only used it once, it works.

snort