• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to live in Corpus Christi

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
45 min to Corpus for a 0445 brief time... no thanks... I'll keep my 7-10min drive, thank you.

Nublett
What makes Padre Island dangerous? It seems to me like it is safer here when compared to the rest of Corpus.

Bevo16

pilot
nublett,

I agree that the small town thing is a good option. For a student though, the commute is going to really be a bear. You can get from your front door on the island to the front gate at the base in about 10-15 mintues. It would be about an hour to get there from Sinton. At least as an instructor, you can have some say about your brief times.

nublett

Been there, done that.
Not crime dagerous. Everywhere around/outside Corpus is better than Corpus, even though Corpus' crime is fairly low compared to other large cities. Dangerous, risky dangerous. There is only one way on and off the island. Every few years a boat runs into a bridge piling. About as ofter a large truck has an accident or something and that 7-10 min. drive suddenly becomes 1+ hr. The island is barely above sea level (one of the reasons there aren't a lot of services out there because building is restricted) and you would be surprised how easily the place floods or how little bad weather it takes to damage those cookie cutter houses on the island. The bridges (Padre Island and Portland) were under construction/repair for years and it took our friends who lived on Padre longer to get to the base than it took us from Sinton. Personally, I rather speed down the freeway and take 45 min. to get to work rather than crawl along in bumper to bumper traffic. You should have seen them trying to evacuate Padre Island before Rita- what a mess! Last year (or the year before) when the tractor trailer ran into the bridge support closing the bridge to traffic everyone, and I mean everyone, whether you lived on the island or in Corpus, had to drive the very long way around, which took them thru Sinton. Not me, I just hopped on the freeway; it didn't slow me down any! You know, in Texas, the "speed limit" lets you know that you need to drive at least 20 mph faster just to keep-up with traffic.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The new bridge/causeway into town from the Island opened up while I was there, and even with an accident it only took 25' to get to the squadron. The biggest delays I had were on Waldron when everyone and their mother was trying to get into base, ie safety standdowns and when the first shift went to work at CCAD.

Physicx

Banned
Is living in CC that bad? Would you consider being a reservist there or Kingsville? Or is it one of those places you want to forget?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Physicx said:
Is living in CC that bad? Would you consider being a reservist there or Kingsville? Or is it one of those places you want to forget?

I'd absolutely go back there later on in my career. I didn't want to fly the 53s there because they're heading to Norfolk, but thats an entirely different story. I had an absolute blast while there for primary. I think its nicer than Milton, but to each his own I suppose.

nublett

Been there, done that.
There's a first for everything... I agree with Sivers! :) We have been in >16yrs. now and have lived everywhere. The coastal bend/souhern Texas has been our favorite, by far. I would do almost anything to get back there. The variety of extra-cirricular activities available there is unsurpassed.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
gregsivers said:
I'd absolutely go back there later on in my career. I didn't want to fly the 53s there because they're heading to Norfolk, but thats an entirely different story. I had an absolute blast while there for primary. I think its nicer than Milton, but to each his own I suppose.

well as you all know me, I totally agree

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Like the man said ... "each to his own" ....

I LIKE South Texas --- always have, always will. Even when I was a STUD, it was O.K. As an instructor --- it was some of the best years I spent in the Navy. It's one of the 3-4 places in this country that I would consider as the ... "final resting place". And this is comin' from a Yankee; a city-boy. The west coast version, however. You know, a "good" damn Yankee .... or is that a damn good Yankee ... ????

When I went to work for Braniff -- a "Southern", gentleman's airline --- I was told by the "good 'ol boys" that there were two kinds of Yankees ---

1. ---those from east of the Mississippi, north of the Mason-Dixon line= BAD YANKEE

2. ---all the rest; i.e. those from west of the Mississippi=GOOD Yankee .... :)

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
A4s....The Red Barn Steak House is no more:( Weeds 3 ft high all over the place. I'm not sure when it closed but it has been closed for the entire 1.5 yrs I've been in south texas.

Physicx

Banned
Thats good to hear. I have never been to Corpus or South Tx but I hear lots of good things. Not to many places you can live in the country and still be close to the beach. Plus there is the option to be an IP for all pipelines. And a place to commute out of if fly for the airlines.

nublett

Been there, done that.
Red Barn Steakhouse? I can recomend lots of great places to eat. That is another good thing about S. TX, there is a good cultural mix, and they all cook!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Physicx said:
..... Not to many places you can live in the country and still be close to the beach. .....
The ONLY problem with Texas (for me) is .... the sunsets are on the wrong side of the house --- and beach --- i.e., they are not over the H2O .... :)

That leaves ... Honolulu, Whidbey, Key West .... :icon_rast