• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to live in Corpus Christi

jpmizzou

pilot
Myself and a couple of friends are on our way to CC for primary in a few weeks and we were starting to scout out places. I've checked some of the posts on here about this, but they're a little dated. I was wondering if I could get some info from any one out there right now. Just wondering what are the better places to live and/or places to avoid. Any info would be great.

snizo

Supply Officer
Best place to live here is on the island. Low crime rate, close to the beaches, easy drive to the base, and lots of JO's live out here. Coupla bars out here, too ... but not sure I would call being close to Farrah's & the Lighthouse much of a benefit ;)

Most houses on the island are 3/2/2 and you should expect to spend around 1500-1600 per month on a place that is on the water (canals - worth it)

As far as finding a place - I know of plenty of people (myself included) who just drove around looking for signs in the yard that said "for rent" and it worked pretty well.

Do you know the date you are reporting? A friend of mine is headed over in a few weeks, too, and I told him I would gather some addresses/phone numbers for him before he came out. Would be glad to forward them on to you, too. I had a few weeks of sitting around before I started primary, but right now people are checking in on Monday and starting that Friday.

kelly

D_macs Wife
Just don't rent any houses that are ran by New Wave properties!!! They gave us a really hard time with the military clause. We had to pay a whole months worth of rent and we had already reported to Kingsville, and the house was empty! They are not professional either. I would also suggest the Island, we know several people that lived out there and loved it. You will pay a little more out there, but I would say it would be worth it.
Kelly

DRL

I don't know what your looking for, but I just moved out of the area and have a 2/2 1200sqf place walking distance to the bars on the island. If interested i'll give you some more info.

snizo

Supply Officer
careful you don't get caught walking home drunk, though ... the cops here will arrest you for that....

Bevo16

pilot
Bay Point and Sugar Tree Apartments pretty much keep all the local pawn shops in business because of all the stuff that gets stolen from there. I had over 7,000$ in theft and vandalism to my truck while I was there. Live on the Island, it's the only way to make Corpus a good experience.

Bevo16

pilot
I second the nomination for the Beach Club Apartmets. I moved there after I came to my senses and got out to the Island. Their staff was great and it's right next to the beach. They are really flexible with the military, and love having you there.

Prashant Patel

Compass Bay Apts. on the island is also great. I live there as do a a decent number of guys in primary and advanced. The complex is very clean, scenic, and less than 2 years old, no to mention right on a canal (the view out my deck is sweet). Management is very accomodating since they deal with military constantly.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I just left Corpus, and lived on the island. That's by far the best place to live in town. Look there before anywhere else.

d_bossart

What about the fact that there is only one way to work if you live on the island? I want to live there, but if your headed to work and there is an accident on the causeway, aren't you kinda screwed?

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
What about the fact that there is only one way to work if you live on the island? I want to live there, but if your headed to work and there is an accident on the causeway, aren't you kinda screwed?

Traffic is relatively light over the bridge(most of the time), so I would not worry about that very much. Never happened the year plus I was in corpus. Dont live in a ****hole to avoid the 1 in 5,000,000 chance that something catastrophic will happen on the bridge.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Traffic is relatively light over the bridge(most of the time), so I would not worry about that very much. Never happened the year plus I was in corpus. Dont live in a ****hole to avoid the 1 in 5,000,000 chance that something catastrophic will happen on the bridge.

I concur with that. Even when it was down to one lane each way while under construction the traffic was better than Pcola. There was an accident one time on my way to work, and it took maybe 1 min longer than normal.

lthackston

The only problem living on the island that I can see is that there isn't squat there other than a couple of bars. You've got a long drive to get to South Corpus and even longer to get to downtown. There are plenty of good places closer to town that are the same distance from base, you just have to look for them.