• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pipeline Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

icon1128

After primary, how often to SNA's get the pipeline that they want? Is it common to be stuck in a pipeline that is 3rd or 4th on your list of preferences? Also, If you are selected for a given pipeline, can you switch pipelines at a later date? For example, if i am a P3C pilot but i really want jets, would I be able to apply for some kind of a cross over? Thanks in advance guys.

beau

If you do sh#$ hot in flight training and happen to get first in your class, your most likely(hehe) going to get what you want.......but only if there is a slot avialable for that pipeline! If your second, you get the leftovers..........Remember the phrase "needs of the navy". Selection has some to do with how you preform and alot to do with what the navy needs. Cross overs are rare to say the least from what I have heard. Best advise for anyone in flight training..........be the best, dont settle for anything but perfection!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

icon1128

thanks finch, ill just have to do Sh$# hot in flight training so i dont have to worry about a cross over.

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
I really don't think transitions are all that rare. There are a bunch of guys in Tacamo (E-6s) that have transitioned from helos or strike. I also know of at least three guys personally that have gone the other way (E-6 or helo to strike). After your first sea tour you can put together a transition package and submit it to a board. They take a look at everything you have done and either give it the yea or nay. Guys who have experience with this can probably give you better feedback.

bryanweatherup

B.W.
pilot
It also depends on the time of year. You need generally a 50 NSS for jets minimum, and a 45 for P3's with all the rest going to HELOs. From July-December 2002, no matter what your grades were, the top 2 guys of 25-30 got the jet slots (NAVY) IF they both had over 50. What ended up happening is that the min score for jets became around 65+.

Keep in mind that if you do everything you're supposed to do in Primary, you will get a 35. 34.9 won't necessarily get you kicked out, but that's pretty bad. If you do very well, (for people without prior time) you may get 50-60. Above 60 is pretty tough. Several guys I know that got jets all had scores like 64, 71, 79, 80.

Lately, (Jan 2003), generally everyone above 50 gets jets.

jwilliamsee

Are the NSS scores based on how others perform or are they predetermined based on how well each task is performed? What I mean is if you have a lot of high time guys going in at the same time or alot of guys that do above average does everyone get a high score or do they just kind of rank you according to you standing in your class? Also I read that 10% is fitness so when do they grade you on that API? thanks

Rainman

pilot
Your ranking in your class doesn't affect NSS. NSS is based on the number of graded maneuvers and the number of aboves those maneuvers produced. Finally, the raw scores are curved so that a 50 NSS is equal to the last 200 selections' average student. There are also some fudge factors to try to accommodate a squadron giving out many more aboves than another; etc.

API's NSS includes the PRT. API's NSS doesn't count towards selection NSS; but does count (in TW5 anyways) for Commodore's List. Confused yet.

Simple answer: Do your best.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You guys talk about strike, P-3's, or helo's but forget about that little pipeline that more often than not, used to pull people in with the low 50's NSS score. Yes, the E2/C2 community that when I went through, required the same NSS score as strike. Needs of the Navy come first and back in the mid 90's, 95 to be exact, it seemed that community really needed those low 50 NSS types like me (52 to be exact). If you get sucked into it, don't worry, it's not that bad, well, if you're a COD guy
icon_smile_wink.gif

jwilliamsee

yea I heard you e2/c2 guys stay on shore during most deployments. You Fly your stuff out all day and then go back to the shore at night. I guess every airframe has its perks.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind that that's only for the COD guys (C-2A). The E2 bubbas live on the boat. And by the way, it's not just the low 50s that get E2/C2s. Low to mid 60s have also gotten selected for the pipeline.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've operated both ways. During my first cruise, my COD detachment stayed on the boat, flew day/night, and rarely got to spend anytime on the shore. Second cruise we went back to the old way of doing business, day only, shore based while the ship was in or near the Gulf. VRC-30 Det-5 and us RAG instructors are the only ones to still fly C-2's to the boat at night.

Every community has aviators who did well, extemely well actually, and ended up in a community they didn't want. I know a few Commodore's List (including with distinction) pilots in the community. The Navy's needs are almost always the factor in determining a student aviator's platform. Regardless, most people will enjoy whatever they end up flying.

jrklr

i've heard that the e2/c2 pipeline is actually desired, and they don't take very many spots for it anyway. i was talking to a recently winged c2 pilot and he said that he just missed selection for jets but got his second choice of the e2/c2 because he had good scores. he made it sound like the e2/c2 pipeline was for scores that were good enough for jets, but no slots were available to them. I bet the pipeline isn't too bad at all, you get to land on carriers and train in jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.