• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal carry

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Well, ready to take the plunge on a new gun. I've got a GP100 that I carry when I'm wearing a jacket or flannel. But, it's big and a bit heavy and I'm considering relegating it to HD only. I was really looking hard at the Glock 26, but I can't find one locally. I did find a 27 at a shop, but after holding it I'm not sure the Glock is the right way to go. It felt like I was holding a thick axe handle, but too short for my pinky to be included in my grip. I think if the grip was a little smaller, I'd be ok with only 4 of my fingers holding the gun. As is, I can't imagine that thing kicking around in my hand when fired. Is the 26 grip smaller? The other issue I ran into is that I can't find a dealer in Ms that deals with the Blue Label guns and I absolutely refuse to spend $550 on another handgun.

I've also considered the Walther PK380, but I feel like id be settling a little bit with that one.

I'm trying to keep it under $500 and would consider used. What are the recommendations from the crowd for a good carry gun(think small enough to carry in shorts)?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The $500 mark isn't impossible to work with, especially with used/LE turn-in pistols in consideration.

Are you looking for a pocket gun? Something you can carry on the belt? Are you set on an autoloader, or would you consider a j-frame style wheelgun? Calibers you want to steer clear of?

Either way, there are a lot of options out there. I think I picked up my S&W 642 for around $350 before tax, and I have a Kahr CW-9 that I picked up for just over $500. I just bought my wife a GEN 3, RTF2 Glock 17 for $450, out the door at a local gun show, but that sounds a bit too large for what you're looking for.

You could always go the Kel-Tec, Hi Point route, too...

CAMike

None
Contributor
Small Size Technology = Large dollars. The G26 and G27 have the same size exterior. If you're ceiling is $500 you can go G26 or G27 with a Pierce Grip Extension (additional $9 each) for each mag and your pinky will now have a home.

At the $500 range, you could look at a Ruger LC9 or a Kahr CW9. I think most CCW types avoid the < $400 tools for a reason. Every manufacturer makes a lemon once in a while. The less expensive ones tend to have a higher freq. in that end. If you go 9mm try and stick with, Corbon's, Double Tap/Barnes XPB's, Federal HST's or Ranger T's for service use. These expand well and expand consistently for smaller projectiles.

Passing through $600 opens an awful lot of options in other sizes and calibers.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Personally I carry a G27 in an IWB Black Hawk holster. But, I have big hands and can shoot it well. Glock has an "extender" mag for the 27 that allows you to wrap all 3 fingers around the grip just barely. I have been drawn to the Kahrs because of the single stack and might work better in summer garb. Bersa makes a nice .380 that I shot a few weeks ago. Not a big fan of the .380 even with the recent advances in ammo, but it is an option.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I agree with CAMike. $600 opens quite a few doors, options wise.

I own both the Kahr CW9 and P9, which are the same size and profile, but the P9 has a couple notable upgrades. I prefer the P9, but it is a bit outside your price range.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Pocket gun would be ok, but I'm fine with a iwb. I've got a wheel gun, I want an auto for something different. I was looking at a Ruger (P95 I think?) online that seemed decent and had a lot of good reviews. I've not seen/held one though so don't know of it's size. I'm also leaning for .308-9 mm range(=small).

A local gun and pawn had several kel techs...are these decent? Right price range, but I'd like to have something that can handle a few thousand rounds (one reason why im shy of the Walther Pk). I'm of the belief that if you're going to carry it, then you better be able to shoot with it. Smaller cal and I'm likely to shoot it more. I've only got maybe a hundred rounds through my GP100 = barely proficient.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I saw a couple of the Bersa's (Thunder?) locally, but didn't pay much attention to them. Decent? I'm pretty set on trying to keep this sub-$500.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I think Kel-Tec advertises that their barrels are made to last approximately 5,000 rounds. Which isn't that much, really. Especially if you shoot frequently. It's one of the reasons I stayed away from the RFB-18 (the other being price v. income).

That being said, there are a lot of people who like their Kel-Tecs. They certainly are one of the more innovative manufacturers out there today. But I think the general consensus is that their QA could use more than a little work. And my experience with them is limited to firing a couple rounds through a friend's wife's 5.56 rifle.

I don't remember the price point offhand, but how about a Walther PPS in 9? I have a couple friends (literally a couple; husband and wife) who own and carry them frequently.

I think you can easily find a Gen 2 or 3 Glock of various flavors for under $500, but I've heard of some issues with the newer (and more expensive) Gen 4s.

ETA: Looks like the PPS is going to be right at that $600 mark, according to Bud's prices. If you haven't looked, check out their site and see what they have in stock. It's only mildly painful buying via the internet, and they do have good prices on a lot of items: www.budsgunshop.com

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have to CCW guns I use right now, my Springfield XD9sc and my Baretta PX4sc 9mm. The XDsc is a little thick but easily concealed IMO, as is the PX4. The standard magazines for both is 13 + 1 but the XDsc also comes with a 16 + 1 option. There is also the new XD(M) compact which is a bit thinner than the XDsc and it comes with either a 13 or 19 round magazine. I have the standard XDM 3.8 on order and it comes standard with a 19 round magazine. The XDsc and PX4sc both can be had for less than $500, just saw a brand new XDsc for $465 or so. My XDsc has around 3000 rounds of every type without a single issue while my PX4sc has been flawless through 1500 rounds or so.

acwildcat

pilot
I just picked up a new Ruger LC9 and so far it is absolutely fantastic. I wanted something that was a bit easier to conceal than my XDM or 1911 and this fits perfectly in my pocket with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I have so far put about 200 rounds through it with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I payed about $380 out the door from Sportsman's Warehouse after the military discount

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I just picked up a new Ruger LC9 and so far it is absolutely fantastic. I wanted something that was a bit easier to conceal than my XDM or 1911 and this fits perfectly in my pocket with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I have so far put about 200 rounds through it with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I payed about $380 out the door from Sportsman's Warehouse after the military discount

How many rounds does it carry, 6 or 7 + 1? Is it double action only? I ask as I'm thinking about getting the wife one. The PX4sc is a little large for her so I was thinking something smaller.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
If you are looking for something slim/light, you should take a look at the Ruger SR-9 ($469) or SR-9C ($439), The Kel-Tec PF-9 ($239) or P-11 ($239) and the KAHR PM9 ($710) I have seen great reviews on all of those and they are highly recommended by guys I know that dont like to carry larger sized guns. The other benefit is that all of them (Minus the KAHR) are sub $500.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I really like my Taurus Millenium .45. Pretty accurate at self defense distances (the Tueller drill) and very reliable..unlike some previous versions of the gun. It is my summertime carry piece; 10 rounds per magazine and it fits nicely in my pocket.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... I've also considered the Walther PK380, ...

It always comes down to personal preference. I carried the Walther PPK, back in the day. Fine handgun. But currently it runs just over $500 before any discounts (paid $375 in 1970). Several years ago I purchased the PK380's smaller brother, the P22 and I do not like that hangun. Well that may border on heresy so will rephrase and say it is not my favorite handgun. Just my .02c.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
If you do decide to go with a Glock, Vick's Jewelry and Pawn down on Frontage can get them for you new at basically the LE rate even though they're not listed as one of Glock's discounted rate dealers. Meaning: $398.20 + Tax/Transfer.