• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola rental housing?

amayer32

Banned
My husband will be starting flight school in Pensacola this winter for the Marines. Does anyone have any advice on rental properties and locations? Where do most of the Navy/Marines live around the NAS without being on base? We are really hoping for a place on the beach or with close beach access if available! And possibly month-to-month lease since we don't know how long we will be there. Please help!

sioburch

Check out www.pensacolamls.com for rentals. There are a lot of threads out there about Pensacola housing too. There are a lot of property management companies there too (PCS, Top Gun, etc.)

If he's a Pilot, he'll be there for at least (add more if he gets helos) a year and for NFO it can be longer, so I wouldn't worry too much about finding a month-to-month esp since most contracts will have a military clause.

Join the private spouse group if you want more info from the spouses!

MasterBates

Pilots won't necessarily be there a year. If they go to Corpus, they may be there less than 6 months.

If they don't need IFS, even less time.

After OCS, I was in Pensacola less than 3 months, and I was on leave for 3 weeks of that.

amayer32

Banned
yea that's more like what we are expecting. He's doing IFS in Manassas sometime in Oct, and from there we have no idea how long we will be in Pensacola (still not sure about the delay in flight classes going through either). But with the military clause in all rental contracts, you are probably right about not needing a month-to-month. What neighborhoods/areas should we think about looking at?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
SNA2007 would be more than happy to get in to the details about this, but I'd recommend avoiding PCS real estate for rentals.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I heard that Perdido Sand Realty is great, and run by a retired Marine F-18 pilot. Thoughts?

Ted is the best. If you have to go anywhere else, you should be very surprised. Make Perdido Sand your first choice, and hopefully your only one!

(This is coming from a renter from Ted's old company, before he got swindled out of it by the current owner.)

BadgerNavy

Is he a pilot of a NFO? The reason being, if he's a pilot and since he's married, he'll get follow on to Whiting. The reason this is important for you is it might be a good idea to live closer to Whiting since you WILL NOT get another move paid for if you decide you want to live closer to Whiting after he gets through API and out of NAS Pensacola. If that's the case, living by Coral Ridge on the North East side of town could be a good way to split the difference plus you'll be close to just about everything. If he's a NFO, living out the back gate or even out on Perdido Key is a good way to go, just be prepared to drive a little bit to get back in to town. I should say that I just finished API and left Pensacola last week, so this gouge should be pretty up to date for you. Hope it helps.

amayer32

Banned
pilot... so Whiting would be a definite for him for Primary? The less moves the better, so we will def look into that. I know its a long way off for us, but we are going down to Pensacola Beach for Labor day to see family and want to check some places out to get a better idea.

MasterBates

Whiting is LIKELY. NOT definite.

I know more than a couple married dudes who had actual written follow on orders to Whiting that ended up in Corpus or Enid or Moody (back when that was an option)

sioburch

I'd recommend avoiding PCS real estate for rentals.
What's wrong with PCS?? We have a house in Milton that we rent out and use them and have had no problems with them. A lot of friends rented from them when we were there too.

BadgerNavy

Whiting is LIKELY. NOT definite.

I know more than a couple married dudes who had actual written follow on orders to Whiting that ended up in Corpus or Enid or Moody (back when that was an option)

Good clarification there.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
What's wrong with PCS?? We have a house in Milton that we rent out and use them and have had no problems with them. A lot of friends rented from them when we were there too.

Have you moved out yet? I hope you took plenty of pictures to document the condition of the house when you moved in.

sioburch

Have you moved out yet? I hope you took plenty of pictures to document the condition of the house when you moved in.

You got that wrong. We own a house in Florida that we rent to other military going through flight school. Did they charge you for something you did to the house you were in? As far as I know, the only thing they have charged previous renters in there was for carpet cleaning which is expected with most rental houses with wall to wall carpet.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Didn't actually make a statement to get wrong there, but regardless, yes SNA2007, myself, and two others had a hell of a time with them charging us rather liberally for normal wear&tear. One of the "evidence photos" they took to prove we didn't clean the place was actually a spot of mildew eating through the drywall from behind, making a dark spot on the wall. I hope they figured out what that really was.