• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay as an officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowings1

I've got no complaints about salary. I'm an 0-2 now w/ some prior. The whole package is pretty good. As a lawyer, I have to compare it w/ what former law school colleagues are making. While its true that a few young lawyers make obnoxious amounts of money, the hours they put in (long) and the work they tend to do (research/drudgery) stinks. And thats only a few. Most don't make much more than military lawyers, whether they're working for the government or on the private side. Then there's the work. I don't have to write much here about the satisfaction that comes from working w/ Marines. Everybody here knows all about that. Most people on the private side, in other governmental positions, or even in other branches, don't have a clue though. Those intangibles swing it for me. There's enough money there to make a Marine lawyer's salary competitive w/ what the private side has to offer. But there's nothing on the private side remotely close to the satisfaction of working with Marines. Its humbling and motivating at the same time. Nothing like it. Pilots are a different breed, but I think something like this might hold true for you all as well.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
As a side note, it's not always the money that makes people choose. Sometimes it's about things like quality time with family etc. It sounds like a lot of you guys/gals are single and that can make a big difference. I just applied for STA-21 this year, and I want nothing more than getting picked up, but it was not an easy decision. My wife and I spent long hours weighing out the pro's and con's of staying in. While money did play a big part, it was other things like deployments/work-ups/QOL that we talked about the most. It sucks when you have a 3yr old who doesn't see Daddy for 6-8 months. I love what I do, and want to continue my service, which means lots of sacrifices other than money.

airwinger

pilot
Ahh the money thing, I pretty much had my masters degree in computer engineering and at graduation I had a company APOLOGIZE because they could only offer me $52,000 a year with the medical, stock options etc. Little did they know I would wind up accepting far less.

The decision to serve is tough, and money does come into it. If you have kids and move to meridian, from what I hear sending them to private school is the only option if you don't want them 'Mcjob' bound.

As a single guy the money is enough for me to get a roof over my head and an occasional steak, but as people pointed out you won't be rich. Flying though makes it all more than worth it.

usmcecho4

pilot
pay aint so bad

I don't know about you guys but I think officer pay is pretty good stuff.

Say you go to PLC Jrs after your freshmen year and do not take any of the Marine Corps money offers. Then you go to TBS after you graduate. You are now an O-1 with 3 years. At TBS you will make $34,182/yr basic pay plus $2,102.76 BAS. That's $36,284.76 per year before taxes and you don't have to pay for housing. That doesn't seem too bad to me.

Now say your at flight school down in Florida. You are now an O-1 with 4 years and you're getting flight pay. You now make $34,182 basic pay plus $2,102.76 BAS plus $8,292.00 plus $1,800 flight pay. That's $46,376.76 per year before taxes. I don't know about you guys but that seems pretty good for a single guy 1 year out of college. Of course if you're married with children things look a whole lot different.

all numbers were obtained from http://www.dod.mil/militarypay/pay/calc/

kill,
usmcecho4

mudflap02

plus $8,292.00

Anybody know where this magic number comes from? Seems kind of high for just kind of being thrown in there, not BAH, and not flight pay. Also, are you reimbursed for moving expenses? (Hoopefully I didn't just answer my first question, but there's no way any company, let alone Uncle Sam, would spring for that kind of move). Thanks in advance.

lucky1899

money

Yeah, the money isnt all that bad really. I'm going to OCC, assuming I make it through, I'll be at something like $2200 a month, plus roughly $1200 for housing, and another $175 for food. Now $3600 a month may not sound like alot of money, but you have to remember that the housing pay and the food pay isnt taxed. So the way I figure it, I'll be making the equivalent of about $45,000 civilian pay. I never planned on getting rich, just wanted to make sure I could make my car payment and save a little bit for the future.

mudflap02

I keep getting BAS and BAH confused thinking they are the same thing. Thanks for the clarification. Anybody know if there is any relocation allowance when you have to move?

ET1.Colon

mudflap02 said:
I keep getting BAS and BAH confused thinking they are the same thing. Thanks for the clarification. Anybody know if there is any relocation allowance when you have to move?

Yeah. Navy pays for a DITY (Do It Your Self Move). You are allowed up to a certain weight for moving costs in a truck, and you can usually make out with about $500-1000 in your pocket.

Just a thing about pay. I'm an E-6 with 8 years in (this October), and I get $4000 a month. So it's pretty good pay. If I get selected, as O-1E I'll be getting a nice pay raise. I look at what a lot of people are makin', and the majority are at about the same rate. Entry level jobs suck, and your usually paying off school loans and stuff for a while. Just my 2 cents.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
mudflap02 said:
Also, are you reimbursed for moving expenses? (Hoopefully I didn't just answer my first question, but there's no way any company, let alone Uncle Sam, would spring for that kind of move). Thanks in advance.

Uncle Sam does pay you for that kind of move. I never lifted a finger in any of my military moves. FREE everything! Great moving system if you are patient with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.