• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay as an officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pay is good...just takes time to get there...

I'd beg to differ that our pay is that bad....
Here's my current numbers: Base Pay $5733, BAS $175, BAH $1985, Fly Pay $840

That's about $8733 a month...which is about $104k a year. Our pay is public record. In fact it's published in Navy Times every year, so it's no secret.

It just takes a while for the flight pay to begin to really build up. Also each 2 years you get a raise while in the same pay grade.

Yeah, it's not as much as you'd like to live on as an Ensign, but give it time...

r/
Goz

lucky1899

pay

yeah, your money sounds great, but you have probably been in quite a while. Im not trying to sound like a jerk, just that Im struggling with the decision of whether or not to go to OCS, and to be honest, money is the only reason. I'll be making $100,000 by my third year on the job, and in the military it probably takes 20 years to get to that. I know it sounds selfish, but lets face it- money can make things a heck of alot easier.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
You don't join the military for money. If I had heard one of my officers talking like you are when I was enlisted I would have been very cautious around you. Being an officer is all about serving your country and your enlisted men and women. Either you want to be an officer or you want to be rich. If it's the former, good luck. If it's the latter, don't take someone else's spot.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not in it for the $$$

I definitely did not enter naval aviation for the pay when I started.
But it helps, bonus ACCP also is nice.

Flying has been the best job "I've never had."

I would do it all over again if I could, lots 'o pay or little pay.

r/
Goz

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lucky,

It sounds like you've already made your decision. If the only reason you're struggling with the decision to go to OCS (this is assuming you've been selected already?) is because of money, then the military is the wrong place for you.

Money's great and does happen to make life a bit easier. However, finding your place in this world and doing what you love also ranks high up there as well. If you really do feel like those guys on Office Space, then your life must suck, and will continue to do so until you find your niche. All depends on what you want out of life....or on the flipside, what you want to contribute to it.

Good luck with your decision.

lucky1899

my life

trust me, my life does not "suck." I might not necessarily find what I do fascinating, but it pays very well. It more than makes up for it. And I definitely do not think if someone has doubts that they would make a bad officer. Not everyone is "gung ho" from the beginning. Some, including me, struggle with the decision to dedicate their life to serving their country. I think if anything it helps solidify their commitment.

Fongabonga

pilot
I think the point some are trying to make is that when someone is already showing hesitation when faced with sacrificing money vs serving their country, what type of decision will they make on a battlefield one day when the choice isn't money, but your own life?

usmcecho4

pilot
hesitation etc

Hesitation when deciding what one is going to do with ones life is not weakness. It just shows that the person is considering all available options--something any leader should do when confronted with a life altering decision. However, once he/she makes his/her decision to become a Marine he/she should dedicate themselves fully to their chosen profession. Considering all options and not simply rushing into a committment as monumental and important as whether or not to become an Officer of Marines is not a weakness it is a strength.

kill,
usmcecho4

lucky1899

yes

thank you for that last post. If the Marine Corps only took those who were dedicated from day one, they wouldn't have many officers. Plus, let's be honest, some of those who have no hesitations have none because they don't have any other options to begin with.

TargetInSight

usmcecho4 said:
Hesitation when deciding what one is going to do with ones life is not weakness. It just shows that the person is considering all available options--something any leader should do when confronted with a life altering decision. However, once he/she makes his/her decision to become a Marine he/she should dedicate themselves fully to their chosen profession. Considering all options and not simply rushing into a committment as monumental and important as whether or not to become an Officer of Marines is not a weakness it is a strength.

Hell yeah. Weight the options, point and go.

lucky1899 said:
and to be honest, money is the only reason.

Two approaches to this statement:

Scientific - As stated, money is single factor. Pay is better in private sector. Keep job, do not join the military. Done.

Emotional - **** money is a great motivator, you can buy tickets for an NFL game and be close enough to actually *see* the cheerleaders on the sidelines. There's freedom to choose and buy and it rocks its fun. There are some things that suck- Quigleys (I imagine), competing in a sport in the rain and losing, getting yelled at and failing... damn you name it. In my limited experience militarily- more experience elsewhere, I'd say money is motivates up to a point. At some points its just not worth it- ever worked fast food? So watch out whatever you choose- if money is the key.

Also, money may not reeeeally be your primary. Freedom or independence.. could be the goal, and you've just stated 'money' because its one way to get those.

Finally, if money is your primary decision factor, that tends to bother people who don't have money as a primary decision factor. Keep this in mind.

GOOD LUCK! :icon_smil

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
So lucky, what exactly do u do that pays 60g's a year out of school. I just graduated and couldn't find anything but construction to fill my time before classing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.