• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3C Tour of Lake Chelan, WA

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I'm sure you just flew .... around in jean shorts and T-shirt, right?
HEY, I did that ONCE in the A-6 ... :D ... even trapped aboard ... no jeans, however -- just Madras Bermuda's (they were BIG back then) and a T-shirt ... :)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
When you are in the seat, you have your gear on. If you are out of the seat, and 2 is set, no gear. The studs on that flight were running a metric shit-ton of drills, so that is my guess as to why they were dressed to the nines. "Going below 1000, LPU's required" is the standard over water. That and when Condition 5 is set...

3710.7 quote:
Inflatable life preservers shall be worn during all
flights originating from or terminating on ships or
landing platforms. Life preservers shall be readily
available when operating from aerodromes in the
vicinity of coastal waters or when operating from
inland aerodromes where takeoff, route of flight,
or approach path is over water. Occupants of
ejection seat aircraft shall wear the appropriate life
preserver at all times. Life preservers shall be
worn when mission requirements dictate operation
over water below 1,000 feet exclusive of
normal departures or approaches.

Brett, I think that is the first time I've seen you be accused of being a gentleman...at least he didn't call you "Shipmate"...

phrogpilot73

So your plan is that they reconfigure their gear every time they switch between overland and maritime flights? That makes sense. P-3s have ditched - several of them - four engines and all. I'm sure you just flew your bitchin' 46 around in jean shorts and T-shirt, right? Why don't you just STFU and go back to whatever hole it is that you crawled from.

Brett
Actually, we do. Last I checked it's 4 clips and two snaps. Takes 5 minutes to take off and 7 minutes to put on.

And we do just as much over-water ops (albeit not as long missions) as the P-3 does.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've landed in a parking lot next to a Wendy's and sent my AO in for burgers. 'nuff said!
We taxied a P-3 to the McDonalds drive thru window at NAS Bermuda.....

The base CO decreed that the duty van could no longer do food runs. We were hungry and the McDonalds was about 50 feet from the edge of the ramp on the other side of the field. My CO was PPC. He loaded us all onboard, got a taxi clearance and off we went. The base CO was not impressed but the point was made. The van was once again allowed to make food runs for aircrews.