• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Own a MIG-29 for $5M

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh, this will give me some time to settle a few more million dollar cases and buy one. I will be back seat of course with tears in my eyes (from the hourly operational costs) and a chit eatin grin. Screw insurance.

One of my local bar members killed himself in an L39 a few months ago in Titusville at an airshow. I have no desire to be a smoking hole in the ground but I certainly wouldnt mind some low passes on the beach.

Snort lives just down the road from you in St Augustine. You have plenty of time to chat him up in the off season. I take it the boats are enough anymore and you're looking for more speed?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Yes it is legal to own a MIG29

It must however be "demilitarized" which involves an inspection by the ATF. Getting a type rating in the aircraft involves finding someone who is rated and authorized by the FAA to give you a checkride in that experimental jet. In order to get picked up for NFO to pilot/ get an Air National Guard slot if that did nto work, I got a type rating in an Aero Vodochody L-29. That was a blast and it helped me get my #1 choice. Classic Jet Aircraft Association CJAA has some info. However, $5 million can be spent better elsewhere, fly a hornet for now.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You got it!!! I actually had to eject at high speed and ended my career doing so........... hurt like a beatch.

http://media.putfile.com/ejection

Yow, actually, in my day job I work with shock mitigation as part of providing Naval Aviation expertise to SPECWAR and in their high watercraft, we found that the shock loads at speed in sea state 3-4 are comparable to an ejection from an aircraft. Just as serious is the wear and tear on the body is even more dibilitating from subjecting it to repeated shock loads, some of which are not in alignment with the vertical axis. I have been on crutches twice in last 4 years of this effort from swollen knees....you can go a lot faster in jets and pull all sorts of G, but not suffer same type after effects nor risk the contusions, broken bones and spinal damage (assuming you don't have to eject, but even then, withing the envelope ejections in proper seat position are mostly injury free).

Maybe you can get a sponsor from one of your clients...Platinum Speed????

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
looks like the back end came around a bit and she high-sided? dont really know boats too well. only motorcycles

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
oh yea...that mig is an hour from my place next to NYC. I wonder if he'd let me check it out? if you look close at the page, you can lease it for 60 grand ;)

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Some years ago while still in colllege a buddy of mine worked for a gentleman that had vintage aircraft here in New Smyrna Beach. He swore up and down that he had a T2 in Navy training colors but I didnt believe him. I went to the hangers to see this T2 and damn if he didn t have 2 of them!! One was a fuselage w/o wings and the other was pretty complete and tons of extra parts all over the place. I have no idea where he aqcuired these but he also had an F9 Panther painted blue. The guy was named Harry Doane and he died shortly thereafter and his wacky wife had a massive tag sale of airplanes...... of course I was a broke ass beatch back then so I couldnt even buy a throttle.

Out of the US former fleet what aircraft are OK to purchase and available for sale w/o going to the pen?? I was under the impression that a few F5's were owned privately... anything more recent???

It kills me thinking of all those beautiful F-14's just getting destroyed.

I believe the gentleman you refer to was killed in an A-1 at the TICO Airshow a few years ago when it did a nose-over at the end of the runway. It was also the TICO Airshow where the L39 crashed just this year. I've been going to that show since I can remember, and it leaves a dark cloud over the place for a long time when mishaps occur.

Brett1

Banned
I believe the gentleman you refer to was killed in an A-1 at the TICO Airshow a few years ago when it did a nose-over at the end of the runway. It was also the TICO Airshow where the L39 crashed just this year. I've been going to that show since I can remember, and it leaves a dark cloud over the place for a long time when mishaps occur.

You are correct.

Brett1

Banned
Oh chit....... I found my plane!!!!

http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/N36TB%20NAA%20T-2B%20Spec.htm

36TB%20Exterior5_lrg.jpg

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
Are you kidding?!! That is awsome. $1.5 mil is a little rich for my blood, not to mention all the Jet-A it would be thirsty for. Then again I suppose that if you can afford to buy it, you probably wouldn't be to strapped for cash to pony up for fuel.

Along those same lines, there is one guy down hear at Centennial Airport that owns an F-5 in painted with the Soviet star on it. Also, there is a crazy old man at the Jeffco airport who owns a pink MiG-17 and flys it to Centennial every now and then to put on static display.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Along those same lines, there is one guy down hear at Centennial Airport that owns an F-5 in painted with the Soviet star on it. Also, there is a crazy old man at the Jeffco airport who owns a pink MiG-17 and flys it to Centennial every now and then to put on static display.

the deadly mig 28...