• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Own a MIG-29 for $5M

Brett1

Banned
Do the seats still work in that T-2?

Master wants....

Hopefully I wont find out. My wife found that webpage on my computer and immediately starting griping.... " you dont know how to fly that, you will just lose interest, where are you gonna keep it, etc". Thank god she didnt see the price!!!! I wouldnt know where to start after buying something like that. I would have to hire somebody full time for flying and maintenance.... Bad idea. How about a nice T-34???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully I wont find out. My wife found that webpage on my computer and immediately starting griping.... " you dont know how to fly that, you will just lose interest, where are you gonna keep it, etc". Thank god she didnt see the price!!!! I wouldnt know where to start after buying something like that. I would have to hire somebody full time for flying and maintenance.... Bad idea. How about a nice T-34???

If you buy it, or another interesting aircraft, the key is getting it into the airshow circuit with a sponsor and decent pilot. Sponsor covers costs and pilot (like Snort) leases the aircraft for the season. Since it's a two seater, you can ride along. T-2 is a vastly forgiving aircraft (Navy used it for spin training and it would recover using any aircraft's recovery control techniques), but may not be enough of a novelty for the airshow circuit, but then again, I have only seen one "out and about". Now the MiG-29 would be a draw...........

Flugelman

Contributor
A4s, I agree; the Bearcat is unequaled as my dream prop plane.

My step-dad went thru Advanced at Cabiniss Field in CC back in the early 50's. They went right into the Bearcat from T-6's. I can't imagine strapping that beast on with so little flight time...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My step-dad went thru Advanced at Cabiniss Field in CC back in the early 50's. They went right into the Bearcat from T-6's. I can't imagine strapping that beast on with so little flight time...

Indeed, the F8F had a tendancy to torque roll like no other aircraft of its type...not for amateurs!

51P6AZ2MBCL._AA280_.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
http://www.controller.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1117584&guid=B3D3C0252D54436C947ED135912027A3

Okay so theoretically, lets say you buy this thing. How do you learn to fly it and will the FAA even let you? Those in the know please feel free to chime in knowledge on owning something like this. (and no I don't have that kind of money haha)

It is possible. The FAA has an entire set of rules for Experimental category of aircraft. In order to obtain an airworthiness certificate in the Exxperimental category you have to prove to the FAA that you can operate and maintain it safely - and even then you get a custom operations manual (letter) that says exactly when and how far and what kind of maneuvers you do with your aircraft from your home base airport. Assuming you want to fly your new MIG on the airshow circuit you aree required to submit your operations schedule in writing to your FSDO for approval.

The best example of aircraft is the YAK-52 - very popular right now. Assuming you can demonstrate training and qualification in a jet to the FAA satisfaction you could have your de-milled MIG-29 - although $5 MM would just get you started. De-miling the aircraft and maintaining it and setting up a shop and fuel would probably cost at least that amount again...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Do the seats still work in that T-2?

Master wants....

In the picture here you can clearly see the straps to the civ parachute harness and the vinyl padded seat pan - I think it indicates that the rocket motor in the seat was deactivated and the seat permanently de-armed. A lot of airshow mil jets are the same way. I bet the canopy jettison still works though since that's probably your best bet at egress.

Death Rattler

pilot
An old NavCad buddy left the service (USMC,flew F4D`s, the Skyray, not the double barreled $hit can) ) went back and finished college, then med school, became an opthomologist. Wife died, kids grown and gone. He bought 2 MIG 17`s, used one for spare parts. Flew in the air show circuit. A couple of years ago he sold them and now has a Sabre, a Canadian one with Rolls engine. Guess I should have gone to med school instead of the airlines.

GroundPounder

I'm involved in an air show that we have each year in Augusta, and to most people the faster and louder the aircraft is the more they enjoy it.

We've had great response with having L39 acts that consist of high speed passes. We have been able to get some of the current inventory, the best of which were two Marine F-18's. When they make a high speed pass and every car alarm in the parking lot is going off, everyone goes home happy.