• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Own a MIG-29 for $5M

narfmasta

my dad claims that when he was finishing preflight (late '50's time frame) someone offered him one for $1500. I think he said it needed some work to get it flying again, but come on.....he could have sold it in the same condition today for a ridiculous amount. I do think that a lot of the private MIGs will end up either as rich guy's lawn darts, or in museums though, so you may be right.

i mean it wouldn't sound like a great deal at the time because $1500 would have been a significant amount of money, but now looking back it's just :eek: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??!?!?!?!

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
You know, my dad was offered a P-38 in the early 80's for around $30,000. With a spare engine. I'm sure just the Allison today is worth well over that, but Dad didn't have the cash flow back then. It eats him up to this day.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
You know, my dad was offered a P-38 in the early 80's for around $30,000. With a spare engine. I'm sure just the Allison today is worth well over that, but Dad didn't have the cash flow back then. It eats him up to this day.

In Sept of '05, the P-38 from the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, Porky II, had to make an emergency landing where I work & ended up staying for 3 months in my company's hangar because she lost compression on the left engine. They had to order new heads from Rolls Royce and ended up waiting 3 months for them to be made. The heads were easily $20,000.

Here she is when they were breaking in the engine:

PorkyIItesting2.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DREAM SHEET:

If I could "pick" an airplane to own and fly ... it would probably be:

Prop = Bearcat.

Jet = A-4 Skyhawk (what else??)

REALISTICALLY .... probably a Stearman painted in Navy colors. That's something I could afford without breaking the bank .... or getting a divorce. :)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
DREAM SHEET:

If I could "pick" an airplane to own and fly ... it would probably be:

Prop = Bearcat.

Jet = A-4 Skyhawk (what else??)

REALISTICALLY .... probably a Stearman painted in Navy colors. That's something I could afford without breaking the bank .... or getting a divorce. :)
300px-Boeing_Steerman_N2SKaydet.jpg

nice...

Brett1

Banned
Some years ago while still in colllege a buddy of mine worked for a gentleman that had vintage aircraft here in New Smyrna Beach. He swore up and down that he had a T2 in Navy training colors but I didnt believe him. I went to the hangers to see this T2 and damn if he didn t have 2 of them!! One was a fuselage w/o wings and the other was pretty complete and tons of extra parts all over the place. I have no idea where he aqcuired these but he also had an F9 Panther painted blue. The guy was named Harry Doane and he died shortly thereafter and his wacky wife had a massive tag sale of airplanes...... of course I was a broke ass beatch back then so I couldnt even buy a throttle.

Out of the US former fleet what aircraft are OK to purchase and available for sale w/o going to the pen?? I was under the impression that a few F5's were owned privately... anything more recent???

It kills me thinking of all those beautiful F-14's just getting destroyed.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If we are talking semi-realisitic....
T-28_fs.jpg

If not...then where are those F-5's that I keep hearing about in civ. hands...:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It kills me thinking of all those beautiful F-14's just getting destroyed.

There are plenty of choice Tomcats in the desert at AMARC so don't fret over the tired airframes they are getting ground up via SARDIP. In fact, there are two squadrons worth in War Reserve status that could be quickly restored to flying status (both B and D models). As long as Iran is operating their Tomcats, US won't let anyone except museums, other public entities and military installations with proper security even display Tomcats. If and when Iranian interest in tomcat parts dies out, then you might see Snort fulfill his dream to put one on the airshow circuit as he proposed in recent past. No lack of volunteers to help maintain them as they'd be a handful to keep flying and Snort isn't only one volunteering to fly one. Insurance might be a sticky wicket, but where there is a will, they is always a way.

Brett1

Banned
There are plenty of choice Tomcats in the desert at AMARC so don't fret over the tired airframes they are getting ground up via SARDIP. In fact, there are two squadrons worth in War Reserve status that could be quickly restored to flying status (both B and D models). As long as Iran is operating their Tomcats, US won't let anyone except museums, other public entities and military installations with proper security even display Tomcats. If and when Iranian interest in tomcat parts dies out, then you might see Snort fulfill his dream to put one on the airshow circuit as he proposed in recent past. No lack of volunteers to help maintain them as they'd be a handful to keep flying and Snort isn't only one volunteering to fly one. Insurance might be a sticky wicket, but where there is a will, they is always a way.

Ahh, this will give me some time to settle a few more million dollar cases and buy one. I will be back seat of course with tears in my eyes (from the hourly operational costs) and a chit eatin grin. Screw insurance.

One of my local bar members killed himself in an L39 a few months ago in Titusville at an airshow. I have no desire to be a smoking hole in the ground but I certainly wouldnt mind some low passes on the beach.