• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outstanding PRT

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
This is kinda like a "whos PT plan is the best" thread.

+1

If you are new to the PT thing then things like this are a good place to get started. After that it's a bit of trial and error to things that work.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There is some decent advice to be had in this thread, but to OP: How did you get an outstanding-low on the PRT by running a 7.5 minute mile pace for 3 miles? Outstanding-low for the run for my age group (25-29) is at like 9:40 or something, which is approx a 6:25 min/mile pace. Excellent-high is at 10:15, which is just under a 7:00/mile pace. Personally, my best 5k score was like 22:30, and I still can't break 10:00 on the PRT.

Okay, I've been an athlete my entire life..but seriously, sprint for 60 seconds then jog for 120 seconds for an entire 2 miles? How is this possible for someone working their way into shape?
It can be done, and some of the runs at OCS went like this. I was not in any sort of running shape prior to OCS and I managed to do that workout one day a week...sprint 1/4 mile at a few seconds under goal pace, jog 1/8 (easiest way to do this is on a track of course). The jog part was more like a trot, but it's still possible.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Figure out your goal (make it a realistic one!)

Here is a suggested 5K training schedule to use as a guideline - you can shorten the distances somewhat since the PRT is for a 2.5K, but you can see that the basic idea is to do a combination of slower distance work, "sprint" workouts, and rest days.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml

That general theory WILL work (whether you follow the schedule in the link, or come up with your own version), just be realistic with your goals, and don't wait too long too start the program.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Get PAVELIZED

1196652367_Pavel%20Tsatsouline%20-%20Russian%20Kettlebell%20Challenge.jpg

Gills

There is some decent advice to be had in this thread, but to OP: How did you get an outstanding-low on the PRT by running a 7.5 minute mile pace for 3 miles? Outstanding-low for the run for my age group (25-29) is at like 9:40 or something, which is approx a 6:25 min/mile pace. Excellent-high is at 10:15, which is just under a 7:00/mile pace.

Yeah, my run was definitely not Outstanding. Since my OR said I ran an outstanding on the PRT, I assumed that it was because I maxed out on the push ups and sit ups, and then my run was averaged in there.

I also smoked his run, though he did do 1 more push up and like 2 more sit ups just because he wanted to beat me.:icon_rage