• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outstanding PRT

Gills

I just took my PRT today, and got an outstanding low. I figured I'd post, what I think is a more efficient way to obtain at least an Outstanding Low on the PRT.

awolfinwater posted something similar to this, but this is what I did.

1.5, 2, and 3 mile runs every other workout. (8-9 mph on treadmill)

And then three sets of
40 situps (various inclines every other workout)
40 pushups
20 dips
Max out Pull ups

I also want to stress that this plan is possible and effective for those who have never or do not workout regularly. I never worked out at all before PRT training and was able to do this, so that means it should be possible for most.

egolnick

First off congrats brother!
Second...although that workout may work for some, I sincerely doubt you were out of shape prior to training for the PRT because to get an outstanding anything takes a bit of work. I went from being a complete sh*tbag to putting a package together for BUD/S, so I think I can add a few things.

If you need to increase your run time there are two things you need to do.

1. Alternate between distance and sprinting. The distance will build up your endurance and the sprinting will work on your speed by engaging your quick twitch muscle.

A good example (figure out your own schedule) of a week schedule of running would be this:

MON-3 mile regular pace (its good to double the distance of whatever the test is going to be). this should be your PRT pace.

TUES-Interval sprints. Take a 2 mile or 1.5 mile distance, jog for 2 min, then sprint for 1...repeat this throughout the 2 or 1.5 miles.

WEDS-take a rest day from running

THURS-try to go for a longer distance at a normal speed but not as intense as your PRT effort...I usually go around 6-8 miles

FRI-A nice and easy 1.5 just to loosen up.

While this works wonders for me, it may not work for others, so you have to figure out what works and does not on your own.

In regards to pushups, sit-ups (curl ups)

What works for me is I do a three max sets of each throughout the day...that is, do them until failure within the 2 min time period. By doing max sets of each of these my numbers increased substantially.

Pull-ups you just have to do and a lot of them...no getting around these, the assisted machines are OK if you’re unable to do more than 6 or 8, but if you can a pyramid workout works best.

One of the most important things that I never do correctly is hydrate properly, make sure you are drinking a sh*tton of water throughout the day and the evening before the test. Lack of adequate hydration will make you fail...hard.

Anyway hope this helps someone.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
I just took my PRT today, and got an outstanding low. I figured I'd post, what I think is a more efficient way to obtain at least an Outstanding Low on the PRT.

awolfinwater posted something similar to this, but this is what I did.

1.5, 2, and 3 mile runs every other workout. (8-9 mph on treadmill)

And then three sets of
40 situps (various inclines every other workout)
40 pushups
20 dips
Max out Pull ups

I also want to stress that this plan is possible and effective for those who have never or do not workout regularly. I never worked out at all before PRT training and was able to do this, so that means it should be possible for most.
What is the rest rate between sets? 40 sec? 60 sec? Do you do this workout every other day? Everyday? This looks like a great workout, thanks for the tips guys. This will definitely help out a lot.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
First off congrats brother!
Second...although that workout may work for some, I sincerely doubt you were out of shape prior to training for the PRT because to get an outstanding anything takes a bit of work. I went from being a complete sh*tbag to putting a package together for BUD/S, so I think I can add a few things.

If you need to increase your run time there are two things you need to do.

1. Alternate between distance and sprinting. The distance will build up your endurance and the sprinting will work on your speed by engaging your quick twitch muscle.

A good example (figure out your own schedule) of a week schedule of running would be this:

MON-3 mile regular pace (its good to double the distance of whatever the test is going to be). this should be your PRT pace.

TUES-Interval sprints. Take a 2 mile or 1.5 mile distance, jog for 2 min, then sprint for 1...repeat this throughout the 2 or 1.5 miles.

WEDS-take a rest day from running

THURS-try to go for a longer distance at a normal speed but not as intense as your PRT effort...I usually go around 6-8 miles

FRI-A nice and easy 1.5 just to loosen up.

While this works wonders for me, it may not work for others, so you have to figure out what works and does not on your own.

In regards to pushups, sit-ups (curl ups)

What works for me is I do a three max sets of each throughout the day...that is, do them until failure within the 2 min time period. By doing max sets of each of these my numbers increased substantially.

Pull-ups you just have to do and a lot of them...no getting around these, the assisted machines are OK if you’re unable to do more than 6 or 8, but if you can a pyramid workout works best.

One of the most important things that I never do correctly is hydrate properly, make sure you are drinking a sh*tton of water throughout the day and the evening before the test. Lack of adequate hydration will make you fail...hard.

Anyway hope this helps someone.

Okay, I've been an athlete my entire life..but seriously, sprint for 60 seconds then jog for 120 seconds for an entire 2 miles? How is this possible for someone working their way into shape?

Also, running 3 miles to practice for a 1.5 mi PRT is good..but at a comfortable pace. PRT pace would assume you are running a 7 min mile, so for 3 miles that would be 21 minutes...that would mean you are already a 1st class PFT stud for the Marine Corps. That's hardly advisable for someone prepping for the PRT unless they are already in peak condition.

I thought you were advising someone on how to "get better" for the PRT?! If someone follows that advice who is not already in shape and a comfortable runner, they'll be laid up with shin splints rather quickly.

Also for the Navy PRT you do not have to do pull-ups, I see where you are getting at, they are a good exercise but to say there is no getting around these is false. They are not necessary for the Navy PRT; only the Marine PFT or someone maybe wanting to do BUD/S.

I could tell someone to swim 5,000 meters a day to get in shape, but if they are not already in tip top shape and comfortable in the water, what would be the point of giving such advice?

egolnick

Okay, I've been an athlete my entire life..but seriously, sprint for 60 seconds then jog for 120 seconds for an entire 2 miles? How is this possible for someone working their way into shape?

Also, running 3 miles to practice for a 1.5 mi PRT is good..but at a comfortable pace. PRT pace would assume you are running a 7 min mile, so for 3 miles that would be 21 minutes...that would mean you are already a 1st class PFT stud for the Marine Corps. That's hardly advisable for someone prepping for the PRT unless they are already in peak condition.

I thought you were advising someone on how to "get better" for the PRT?! If someone follows that advice who is not already in shape and a comfortable runner, they'll be laid up with shin splints rather quickly.

Also for the Navy PRT you do not have to do pull-ups, I see where you are getting at, they are a good exercise but to say there is no getting around these is false. They are not necessary for the Navy PRT; only the Marine PFT or someone maybe wanting to do BUD/S.

I could tell someone to swim 5,000 meters a day to get in shape, but if they are not already in tip top shape and comfortable in the water, what would be the point of giving such advice?

As I said, this workout works for me. And yes I am putting a package together for BUD/S. I clearly stated that one should go at their own pace and listen to what their body tells them. I should have mentioned that there should be adequate warming up and stretching prior to doing any run. It is important that I pointed out that this was an EXAMPLE workout. As for the interval sprints, that is literally one of the best ways get better time on your run, obviously if you do not currently have the ability to do that, you should work at whatever distance and timing you can, however the workout itself is a good one. As for the pull-ups I should have been more clear, as I am attempting to get into BUD/S and they are a necessary portion of the test, FOR ME there is no getting around them. Again, I should have made it more apparent that this was an example workout and the numbers should obviously be adjusted to whatever level the person is on. I was just relaying what exercises have worked for me.

And 21 min on a 3 mile is great...but not really what any of my friends in the corps would call "1st class PFT stud"

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I didn't mean to come off biting your head off. I just meant most people who read this stuff are people who are needing to get tips to do better for the PRT.

Someone who is putting in a BUD/S package better already be in pretty good shape. This is a great workout you listed for someone who is in shape and just wanting to improve on top of that.

This would just injure someone who is trying to build an adequate fitness base to do well on a run of the mill Navy PRT. Or demoralize some dude with a beer gut that thinks this is what a "normal" candidate does.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Long slow distance makes long slow runners.

That being said, you NEED a solid distance base in order to support any substantial speed training. Get your aerobic base up before you hit the track.

OK, now get out on the track and work some serious interval and pyramid workouts. 400s and 800s are great for middle distance intervals. Start small, say 4x400 or 3x800, and slowly increase the volume. A good middle distance pyramid is 200-400-600-800-800-600-400-200. These made my mile very strong.

Your speed workouts should be quite a bit faster than your 1.5mi pace, but should not be balls out. Early in the game take plenty of rest between intervals---after you get a few weeks in you can start cutting down the rest period to really get some good anaerobic threshold training.

Best of luck.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
To build on C420's advice. To make sure you don't burn out on running, I suggest some cross training or circuit training.

Every couple of days try something different, ride a bike, swim, go on a long hike with some friends and carry a pack.

I was one of those types that can play a sport for hours. Yet, I get ADD running on a track or just running for no reason and bore quickly. So when I force myself to run, I look forward to the days that I get to do something different to supplement that.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
This is kinda like a "whos PT plan is the best" thread. 3 miles is my test length, I really want to run it in the 21 min range (at the 23:30 range presently). What I do is I try and run 4 miles at a 7 minute pace. That is my goal, if I can run 4 miles at a7 minutes pace then I sure as hell can run 3 (and I will most likely be faster for the PFT). Just my plan, as for pullups/pushups? Nothing beats reps, and lots of them.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I went with the 12 ounce curls, run on friday command PT, show up to OCS out of shape and let the DI's do all the hard work plan...worked well for me!

kat27

Cpgillie...
Congrats on your PRT score. I was wondering if you can give me an idea of what it was like. I am training for it right now. Do they give you rest time in between each exercise? What sequence do they have you do them in? Also, how is the grading set up? What if your most of your scores fall into outstanding low, but you sucked in the swim or whatever. Do they give you a grade for each exercise or average? Hopefully this question is not confusing.
Kat

Gills

What is the rest rate between sets? 40 sec? 60 sec? Do you do this workout every other day? Everyday? This looks like a great workout, thanks for the tips guys. This will definitely help out a lot.

jorgelito, The rate between sets is up to you. When I first started I'd take a couple of minutes in between so that I didn't kill myself. Now, I take virtually no break in between sets.

I did this workout every other day for a month. (sometimes I took the weekends off)

Gills

Cpgillie...
Congrats on your PRT score. I was wondering if you can give me an idea of what it was like. I am training for it right now. Do they give you rest time in between each exercise? What sequence do they have you do them in? Also, how is the grading set up? What if your most of your scores fall into outstanding low, but you sucked in the swim or whatever. Do they give you a grade for each exercise or average? Hopefully this question is not confusing.
Kat

Kat, They do give you rest time in between exercises. My rest time involved me waiting for my OR, because he also ran the PRT with me.

You do pushups, situps, then run.

I'm pretty sure that they must average the scores together. I did the max in pushups and situps, which is obviously outstanding, but then ran a 10:15 run, which is Excellent something.

And I did no swimming, that's only for SEALs, I assume.

kat27

Thanks cpgillie...
Yeah I was confused when I saw the spread sheet with swim times. It's nice to know that I won't have to swim for the test. This helps out a lot. Thanks for the reply
kat