• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Our Air Force(s)?

gunfighter77

pilot
MMX1 has some great points. I just returned from Iraq and if we base all of our decisions on how that war is going down we will be in a world of hurt. Is the AF spoiled? Absolutely. Do they play a big role in Iraq? With UAV's and logistics yes. Does the Navy play a big role in Iraq or Afganistan? Not so much. We need to keep in mind, that just because the AF and Navy have limited roles in Iraq and Afganistan, it doesn't mean that we don't need them. If we go into Iran, or if we ever have to deal with China or North Korea everyone will be very pleased to have the AF and Navy. Do I think they could play a bigger role in Iraq now? Yes but, let's not forget how we got to this point in Iraq. If I remember correctly be got air supremacy in the early stages and then rolled them.

I agree with Tux, but after wasting my time I had to throw in my 2 cents. Back to drinking beer.

NO. Not just no, but HELL NO.
Giving the Air Force to the Army? It's bloated enough as it is.

ohh......ohhh...man... read the whole damn thing. I wasted enough brain cells trying tp explain this. I'm not going to anymore.

Besides, without the Air Force, who'd run the Stargate program? Sam Carter in Dress Alphas? (Actually, that'd look pretty hot).

Speaking of "Caltech" geeks. Who the hell watches stargate?

I think we've already discerned that this is a pretty stupid thread, that has a radical view in mind. I wrote it just to see what would happen, you be surprised what you learn when you do stupid things <----(Man I can't to hear the replies for that statement) like this stupid thread...all of the senior mods, educated members, experienced pilots and NFOs have stated their opinion, where the flaws are in this arguement, and I understand them. I am better because I know more. I've consumed new ideas and learned new things. Is that not the point of online forums? To ask opinions and get responses? Do I think that the Air Force will go away? No. Do I think it could be minimized? Yes. So, obviously I know this was a radical thread, but while people say its stupid...explain why it's stupid...instead of just stating it. You'd be surprised at who you could help what people could learn :)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
goosegagnon2 said:
Speaking of "Caltech" geeks. Who the hell watches stargate?

Columbia geeks and JHU geeks, to name two. Come on, sound off you nerds. I know you're out there.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
mmx1 said:
Columbia geeks and JHU geeks, to name two. Come on, sound off you nerds. I know you're out there.
My friend is obsessed... I saw a couple of the funny episodes with him. I like the one where they get caught in the time warp, so its like Groundhog Day. So I guess I'm a fan on occasion?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gunfighter77 said:
Does the Navy play a big role in Iraq or Afganistan?
Tell that to the AF and Navy squadrons flying out of Bagram, or Al Assad for that matter. They might differ on that point.

Brett

Chubby

mmx1 said:
Let's not all get fooled by Iraq into thinking that all future wars will be fought like this. If we strike Iran, you bet it won't be with piddly little strike fighters, but with B-1's and B-2's carrying tens of tons of bombs. Air Power is NOT all CAS.

Let's also not forget the B-1's flying station over Afghanistan to drop JDAMS on demand. Strike fighters are nice but they lack deep strike and interdiction. I'll defend the merits of the Super Hornet, but it doesn't stack up against a B-1/2 in terms of strategic bombing.
Strategic bombing maybe, but when was the last time the United States affected a no sh!t strategic bombing campaign? Gone are the days of carpet bombing the enemy into submission, with the advent of imbedded reporters and 24 hour live news coverage the public wouldn't stand for such wanton destruction. Those "piddly" strike-fighters are the "future" with more accurate target destruction combined with less collateral damage they make much more sense on a 'win the hearts and minds' level. And unless the US engages an enemy in an all out conventional no kidding nuclear war, I highly doubt you will see the B-2 in any sort of sustained combat service. The B-2 was designed for 'Cold War' strategic/nuclear bombing. It's just hard for a commander to justify sending a 2 Billion, with a B, dollar national asset to drop JDAMS when the same mission could be accomplished by a division of "piddly" strike-fighters. B-2's are sadly victims of their own value. My $.02

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:
Strategic bombing maybe, but when was the last time the United States affected a no sh!t strategic bombing campaign? Gone are the days of carpet bombing the enemy into submission, with the advent of imbedded reporters and 24 hour live news coverage the public wouldn't stand for such wanton destruction. Those "piddly" strike-fighters are the "future" with more accurate target destruction combined with less collateral damage they make much more sense on a 'win the hearts and minds' level. And unless the US engages an enemy in an all out conventional no kidding nuclear war, I highly doubt you will see the B-2 in any sort of sustained combat service. The B-2 was designed for 'Cold War' strategic/nuclear bombing. It's just hard for a commander to justify sending a 2 Billion, with a B, dollar national asset to drop JDAMS when the same mission could be accomplished by a division of "piddly" strike-fighters. B-2's are sadly victims of their own value. My $.02
Your post flies in the face of how assets were/are actually being used in OEF and OIF. I might recommend a little research (or operational experience) before making such a bold assertion.

Brett

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Uhhh... can we keep the af around just for this

ridinabomb.jpg

REd coat air force

woman_pilot.jpg

Just for kicks
israeli_girlinuniform2.jpg

israeli_girlinuniform.jpg

usmc96

It is easy to poke fun of the AF becuse they do have an easy lifstyle compared to the Navy and the Marines, But sometime that works to our advantage. I worked hand in hand with the AF in Iraq and they saved my skin more than several times. Pulling an F-16 from the stack and giving them a talk on was the most userfriendly 9 line ever. Plus they would always be more then willing to get rid of that last final 500 pounder. They always wanted to leave with empty wings. Not to mention Gun runs, I didn't think that they really did this but coming in low and shooting up the place with their cannon was a sight to see. Every now and again they would get a little close and a wave off was in order but they were not afraid to get close to us when things got tight. and they were so easy to talk to over the radiio when things were not quite right. They trusted the Marine FACs and we had a good easy going relationship with them. Marine and Navy plane were all well and good but early on when the stuff was hitting the fan it always seemed the AF fix wing was always there.

Marine Helos a different story altogether. They have a huge pair.

As for the KC 130 Specter gunship, I would not be alive if it weren't for that thing prowling the night sky. Soo easy to talk to and aquire targets in a urban environment. The would track down individual people and take care of them. Best thing was, most of the time The gunship's weapons officer was a woman and she would talk over the radio at night. Knowing that a woman with the soothing voice was protecting you with 40 mm, 120 and the minigun was something to experience. Guys joke that she had to have a huge ass to fly in the kc 130 but in my mind she was beautifull.
AF was awesome in Iraq, they have had their hicups and I am privy to all those situations (don't mention Nasiriyah, I was there too) They have a role, just because they don't eat as much dirt as we do they are easy to make fun of but when your tail is on the line they come through.

Anybody have the time, read Mark Bowden's Book "Road Work" there is a story called "Kabul-ki Dance" Makes you want to fly no matter what branch.

Lawman

None
whitesoxnation said:
Uhhh... can we keep the af around just for this

ridinabomb.jpg

REd coat air force

woman_pilot.jpg

Just for kicks
israeli_girlinuniform2.jpg

israeli_girlinuniform.jpg

Photo 1, has been on the site before at a recruitment poster for the Airforce. I really like the fact they classified her as a pair of 1000 pounders.

Photo 2, is proof that there are attractive women in England, you just gotta look a bit harder.

Photos 3 and 4, are why I want to do an exchange tour with the Israeli's ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, jews with guns are hot.

Mazeltov (that's jew for good times)!

Brett

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
1,2, and 4 are ok. Number three is not Hot by any standards. Pretty average looking. Just my opinion though.