• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oregon Aero liner vs. Gentex X-Liner

phrogpilot73

Anyone know the life-span of the Zeta-Liners?

My helmet is 9 years old and the liner is 7 years old (or older)
Dude, when I checked into the squadron and they looked at my NATOPS jacket, I was immediately issued a new helmet. Mine was only 8 years old. Get yourself a new one (and beer allows you to keep your old one).

MasterBates

Yeah, my HGU-68 (jet style helmet) was used when I got it in 2001. I think it's a 98 manufacture date.

It's spent most of the last 8 years in my closet, save the 2 years in Krock and 9 months here. (I used my HGU-84 for Helos/T-34s take 2)

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't seen any movement on this thread for a while. I've had the zeta liner for some time now and find it pretty comfortable (maybe a tad warm). Is the xliner worth the upgrade? Has anyone noticed any significant differences? How does the x do with goggles?

Thanks.

I wore a zeta liner for about a year and a half... it was great at first, but once I started wearing NVGs it got pretty uncomfortable. I switched to the gentex and will never go back.

Gentex is more comfortable (for me), cooler, and has silver threads woven in for odor control. Plus they cost HALF as much, which matters if you're paying out of pocket like I did.

I wore a zeta liner for about a year and a half... it was great at first, but once I started wearing NVGs it got pretty uncomfortable. I switched to the gentex and will never go back.

Gentex is more comfortable (for me), cooler, and has silver threads woven in for odor control. Plus they cost HALF as much, which matters if you're paying out of pocket like I did.
My squadron recently upgraded from the zeta to the xliner. So far, I don't like it at all (worn it only 3 times for ~ 10+ hours). It feels extremely hard on my head and I've had a hotspot for the first time that I can remember. It also seems to be a bit hotter than the zeta (surprising considering the design). I think I'm going to give it a little more time to break in, but remain skeptical that will help.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've been wearing the Zeta liner since 99 and haven't had to replace it yet. You can wash it by hand and let is drip dry to help control the 'skank' that seems to grow in it after a month of two...

For my Det we had a couple of pilots who had the bubblewrap so we let them pick either a Zeta or X-liner. One went for each; both guys were happy with what they got. . Some folks swear the X-liner is much cooler, but when you have the helmet on, I don't see where all the 'air flow' comes from, but that's just me.

Side note was the X-Liners backordered for about 4 months when we were ordering.

Chances are your squadron will fix you up with whatever the MCO/PRs are ordering.

Usually it's the Zeta, but every squadron is different. If you squadron is not ordering liners for helmets, my recommendation is:

1. Talk to the PR's since they are the ones who order flight gear. Find out if they are ordering them and if not, ask if the squadron ever has. While you're in the PR shop have them see what the MO, XO and CO have in thier helmets....

2. Talk to the MCO since he's usually the one who's controlling the 7F budget. If he tells you No, then,

3. Speak to the MO, since he's the one who oversees ordering stuff. If he has a good liner, mention it.

I think you'll end up being happy with either.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
Gentex says the NSN is in the system but we here are having trouble finding it.

I just had to send some Zeta liners and X-liners down to New River to a VMM squadron. IF my CRS infected memory storage unit remembers tomorrow... I'll see if I still have the info on them. I had pricing and the such. If I still have it, I'll post it for you all.

You guys shouldn't have to be paying out of pocket for your flight gear. If it's authorized, you should be able to order it through the PRs and regular supply channels. Now getting the Suppo to realize that it's not his personal money and actually paying for it... that's a whole nother ball o wax.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
Gentex X-liner: If I remember correctly, $99 and a little change.

Medium - 1/2" thick
D11925-1
Medium - 3/4" thick
D11925-2
Large - 1/2" thick
D11925-3
Large - 3/4" thick
D11925-4
X-Large - 1/2" thick
D11925-5
X-Large - 3/4" thick
D11925-6
X-Large Wide - 1/2" thick
D11925-7
X-Large Wide - 3/4" thick
D11925-8​

The Zetaliners come in 4 thicknesses: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" at the price Rigger76 mentioned earlier.

k-fed

X-liners are awesome...PRs in the HT world wouldn't give us anything but the standard bubble wrap, but I called one of the numbers posted earlier and spoke with the guy at Gentex. Ordered two of them and I won't go back. Really comfortable, much cooler because of the cutouts...Especially for those of us with slightly longer hair. Usually wear a slightly thicker one when I'm on goggles.