• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oooopps - Again

FlyinRock

2nd try for this one. Was taking a walk through one of the hangars here where they have about a half dozen hulks and pieces of civil aircraft wrecks stored. Then I noticed three bombs just sitting on the cement! I walked over to take a closer look. 2 appeared to be about 100/150# and one of about 250#. Painted on the tail fins was "DETONATORS INSTALLED". Needless to say I didn't touch them and just took pics. Then lo and behold, laying within 3m in the shadows, in two rows of 4 +1, in cradles, were rockets about 5' long. I looked for some distinguishing marks but none to be seen. I guess they were stashed there during the war in '78? About 10m away are a couple dozen 55 gal drums with JetA, and just outside are another couple dozen 55 gal drums of AvGas sitting out in the open. I'm going to make an assumption that the ordnance is still hot? If any of that goes up it will sure make the news!:eek:
Can't download any of my pics without the USB cable sitting at home....
Uganda is an interesting place alright!
Semper Fi
Rocky :icon_smil

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Africa is interesting in general. I saw the crew of a Djiboutian AF Hind do a preflight which consisted entirely of chasing some birds out of the intakes. One of the problems they have at Manda Bay, Kenya (for the new guys: KNAV base with a small USN compound), is none of our guys can go running after sunset because lions roam the base. But the Kenyans weren't worried, as they're "honest lions".

Is the terminal at Entebbe still there? If so, does it still have any IDF bullet holes?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
none of our guys can go running after sunset because lions roam the base. But the Kenyans weren't worried, as they're "honest lions".

That's just the kind of excuse to not go running I've been looking for. "Want to go for a run?" "Can't. Lions."

What's the American presence there?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I see an easy way to be sure everyone aces the PRT. :p

True, people would think twice about failing the PRT if the consequence was being immediately torn to shreds and devoured. Now if we could just calibrate the lions to run at a "good low" pace...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's just the kind of excuse to not go running I've been looking for. "Want to go for a run?" "Can't. Lions."

What's the American presence there?

Indeed: the little-known "Man-Eating Indigenous Wildlife" waiver.

Our presence is divided between Civil Affairs teams, Seabees, SEAL/SBS and log/comms guys, plus some contractors. Maybe a couple hundred guys at any one time, scattered around the country. Weirdest things there are these giant Plistoscene millipedes which are all over the damn place, and the baboons. Those little fuckers can get into anything...they run through razor wire like it's not even there, and they love Pringles and Red Bull.

dexter

pilot
ORM in fogeign countries is great. We were training with some of our counterparts in the Republic of Georgia a few years ago. They were doing a live fire demonstration of how their motar teams work and one of the motars failed to launch. They waited all of about 10 seconds to see if it was a hangfire and then they flipped the tube over and the round didn't fall out so they gave the tube a good kick and out came the round. This was about the time an entire company of Marines was diving for cover. To get rid of the round they simply threw it in a ditch at the end of the firing line. I guess there's no EOD there.

By the way, good to here from you Rocky. I flew with you at FTM in the summer of 2007. I was really struggling in the pattern with my original instructor and you were the one who finally got me to land the 172. I still remind myself of "predictable aircraft performance" quite often. Thanks for the instruction.

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
Painted on the tail fins was "DETONATORS INSTALLED". Needless to say I didn't touch them and just took pics.
I would make friends with someone is EOD and tell em you will buy them a 6 pack to remove said detonators. :D I know I wouldn't want to be working around that much hot foreign ordinance. Doubt they store them like we would. I imagine it hangin from a rope 4 feet off the ground nose pointed down.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
True, people would think twice about failing the PRT if the consequence was being immediately torn to shreds and devoured. Now if we could just calibrate the lions to run at a "good low" pace...

I dunno, you wouldn't have to be faster than the lion, just faster than the guy next to you.

The slowest gets killed first, thus increasing the speed of the pack.

FlyinRock

You guys have given me the possible solution. I can run an advert for a suicide bomber to go do the dismantling for possible ingredients for his/her own bomb?
I'll try to make damned sure I am in Kenya when they do it. :icon_smil
I don't think they have any EOD people in country and the ones I did talk to said they had never seen any black angels?:D
Semper Fi
Rocky

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would say a Keg but I have no idea where you would scrounge one up there.

Tusker. It's the Budweiser of East Africa. Not bad, but you get real damn tired of it after a while.

Tusker_Beer.jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
.......one of the motars failed to launch. They waited all of about 10 seconds to see if it was a hangfire and then they flipped the tube over and the round didn't fall out so they gave the tube a good kick and out came the round. This was about the time an entire company of Marines was diving for cover. To get rid of the round they simply threw it in a ditch at the end of the firing line. I guess there's no EOD there.......

Must have been the married men and short timers. They get a bit skiddish if you don't give them time to get off the line before you start kicking at a hangfire like that........