• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Only In America

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Only in America

Before deploying from Savannah, Georgia to Iraq by a chartered airliner; the troops of the 48th Brigade Combat Team, a National Guard unit, had to go through the same security checks that civilian passengers are required to follow prior to boarding the aircraft.
Lt/Col John King, the unit's commander, told his 280 fellow soldiers that FAA anti-hijacking regulations required passengers to surrender pocket knives, nose hair scissors and cigarette lighters.
"If you have any of those things," he said, almost apologetically, "put them in this box now."
After passing this inspection the troops were allowed to get on the aircraft with their assault rifles, body armor, helmets, pistols, bayonets and combat shotguns.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
echo ghost...

WTF?

I was travelling in SDB's on winters day, and I popped a button. Well, I had a safety pin for such an occasion, and reattached my button w/ the safety pin. The TSA gal told me I couldn't get on the plane with the safety pin. So, I had to get on the plane minus a button on my SDB jacket. I couldn't even keep the safety pin. She was gonna make me give up the button too intil I told her I'd take the pin off of it.

Yeah.. only in America. They take your nail clippers and let you keep the rifle.

Lawman

None
Better confiscate their canteens too.... might be smuggling drugs in those or something. :banghead_

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Mefesto said:
Fukkin TSA.... buncha morons with federal pay and benefits.
Sigh... You could go so completely Mad Libs on that one.

Fukkin (noun)... buncha morons with (adjective) pay and benefits.

IRS ... federal
DHS ... federal
DMV ... state
DHL (you know, the shipping guys, who are supposed to have such great customer service?) ... overly generous
Pillsbury (Perfect Pairs? Because of course everyone wants to make two biscuits at once) ... bakery

Ahem. I'll just go and try to find my happy place now.

ip568

None
We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane. — Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA

The FAA goes out of its way to ensure that pilots with mental problems fly. The FAA bans the use of any anti-depression medicine (Prozac, Zoloft, etc.) by flight crews. The FAA would rather have a suicidally depressed pilot flying an aircraft than one who has been mellowed out by a prescription.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
The FAA would rather have a suicidally depressed pilot flying an aircraft than one who has been mellowed out by a prescription.

and alcoholic....don't forget alcoholic...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane. — Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA

The FAA goes out of its way to ensure that pilots with mental problems fly. The FAA bans the use of any anti-depression medicine (Prozac, Zoloft, etc.) by flight crews. The FAA would rather have a suicidally depressed pilot flying an aircraft than one who has been mellowed out by a prescription.

As someone who was on antidepressants for awhile I can understand the reasoning behind that. I don't think it's dealing with people who are on the drug at the moment, but OK say you're a military pilot on a carrier deployment and you're taking this medication. You run out and they can't get you any more drugs. From personal experience, you are going to go through some nasty withdrawal that could likely make you completely unable to perform your mission at the least, or even become a threat to yourself and others at the worst.

As to letting people with problems not on drugs fly, that's a whole other ball game.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Cate said:
Sigh... You could go so completely Mad Libs on that one.

Fukkin (noun)... buncha morons with (adjective) pay and benefits.

IRS ... federal
DHS ... federal
DMV ... state
DHL (you know, the shipping guys, who are supposed to have such great customer service?) ... overly generous
Pillsbury (Perfect Pairs? Because of course everyone wants to make two biscuits at once) ... bakery

Ahem. I'll just go and try to find my happy place now.

Great... now I need to buy a new keyboard and anothe cup of coffee...

I hope you found your happy place.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I'm sure many of you have heard of this one, but for those who haven't

On 11 January 2002,
Joseph J. Foss of Scottsdale, Arizona — a major in the USMC during World War II, a colonel in the USAF during the Korean War, and later a brigadier general with the South Dakota Air National Guard — was attempting to board an America West flight bound for Arlington, Virginia, when airport security held him for 45 minutes while they debated what to do with a variety of suspect items he had about his person. This 86-year-old former governor of South Dakota was on his way to attend a National Rifle Association meeting and to speak to cadets at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and he carried with him his Medal of Honor, as well as a Medal of Honor commemorative nail file and a dummy bullet which had been made into a key fob.

Each of these items was regarded as a potential security risk by airport personnel: the bullet for being a bullet, the nail file for being a nail file (metal nail files are now banned on flights in the USA), and the Medal of Honor for being a suspicious five-pointed metal object that might have been a weapon (similar to the Japanese throwing discs known hira shuriken).

After being repeatedly searched, Foss was allowed to board the plane with his Medal of Honor, but he had to mail the bullet and nail file home to himself. Foss' experience prompted the piece quoted above, which is the text of a Bob Greene article from the 24 February 2002 Chicago Tribune.

Several columnists have since used this incident as the centerpiece of newspaper articles about the issues surrounding heightened air travel standards since September 11 because it highlights the problems inherent to new airport security measures. Where does a reasonable standard of protection leave off and lunacy begin? Granted, if bullets are on the banned list then passengers shouldn't attempt to bring them onboard, but should bullets which have been drilled and turned into key charms — ornamental objects which clearly pose no threat to anyone — be treated as if they were "real" bullets? And should a Medal of Honor — the country's highest award for bravery — even fleetingly be considered a possible threat to the safety of others?

We shouldn't fault airport security officers for not recognizing a Medal of Honor on sight; not many people get to see one in their lives. But a closer examination by security personnel would have shown them what it was, and at that point in the proceedings they fell down on the job. Rather than treating an obviously cooperative passenger courteously and allowing him to explain what the suspect item was, they shuffled the general back and forth and required him to remove his boots, belt, hat, and tie — several times each. The delay they subjected him to almost caused him to miss his flight. That is no way to treat any 86-year-old man, let alone a war hero and former governor.

Had the situation been handled professionally, the general would have cleared the security checkpoint in all of five minutes, with most of that taken up by the manual search his pacemaker necessitated. Yes, his nail file and key-ring charm would have been taken from him because both these items are on the list of things one must not bring onto a plane. But the Medal of Honor should have been quickly vetted and returned to its owner, and its owner should have been treated respectfully throughout.

Then again, if this were a perfect world, nobody would have let me into it.

Barbara "perfect alibi" Mikkelson

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Not long ago, my father lost his drivers license during a mass-exodus from a terminal in Houston because some woman decided to go back into the terminal through the exiting area. His license was sitting in the little cup that you put all your personal effects in when you walk through the metal detector, and they hustled everyone off without an explanation of what was going on.

The next day, flying somewhere else, he realized he would not have his DL to show at the security gate and his passport was not with him. So, he located a B&W xerox copy of his license that he happened to have, and approached security with low expectations. Amazingly, THEY LET HIM THROUGH!

Riddle me this, Batman... how hard would it be for somebody to fake an I.D. this way? These are the same people, by the way, that give me extra security checks every time I fly because I'm 22 and single... despite being on active duty and having at least 6 government-issue photo IDs.