• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Only In America

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Zero-tolerance" = "zero" thought required. That's how the bureaucrats think and work. Makes it easier on them and there's no decision-making, thus no responsibility. The rules say no knives --- but not "no bayonets or combat shotguns" .....

Example: in the post 911 hysteria the government denuded the airline pilots of all knives, screwdrivers, small hammers, wrenches --- everything we used to carry and needed to address small mechanical problems while airborne for many hours on a TransPac. Everything that could conceivably, in the bureaucratic mind, be used as a "weapon" to take over the aircraft. No one in the TSA took the time to recognize that we --- the airline pilots --- "have the keys to the car" ... i.e., we are FLYING THE FVCKING AIRPLANE!!! If we wanted to "take" the aircraft .... it's ALREADY OURS !!! At least the TSA bureaucrats are consistently inconsistent .... I guess that's something, yes??? :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
The next day, flying somewhere else, he realized he would not have his DL to show at the security gate and his passport was not with him. So, he located a B&W xerox copy of his license that he happened to have, and approached security with low expectations. Amazingly, THEY LET HIM THROUGH!

Riddle me this, Batman... how hard would it be for somebody to fake an I.D. this way? These are the same people, by the way, that give me extra security checks every time I fly because I'm 22 and single... despite being on active duty and having at least 6 government-issue photo IDs.

This is the same thought process that I've mentioned before when taking a civilian guest through a Marine base gate. I'll only show my ID, the dutiful Marine will ask for the passenger's ID. I explain that they are not military, to which I'm told, "That's okay, sir, I still need to see some form of ID." Um, so al Quaeda can't get a driver's license, college ID, or Baskin Robin's flavor of the month card?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
gatordev said:
Um, so al Quaeda can't get a driver's license, college ID, or Baskin Robin's flavor of the month card?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Actually here in Pcola they only ask to see the driver's ID...

A4s no kidding- their rationale is obvious, but their methods leave a lot to be desired. Is anybody going flying tomorrow? Want a xerox-paper ID?

Oh, but don't take your nail file, you might accidentally cut the upholstery on the seats! And I used to love doing my manicure on those cross-country flights...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Actually here in Pcola they only ask to see the driver's ID...

I know, but we're not going to Marine bases here. ;) I keed, I keed. Even K-Bay went to one ID before I left.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
....but don't take your nail file, you might accidentally cut the upholstery on the seats! And I used to love doing my manicure on those cross-country flights...
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN !!! Without my clippers of a nail file --- Like, it's REALLY HARD to manipulate the controls with six-inch fingernails. What IS the TSA thinking ... ???

THIS (!!!) is what happened to my F/O on a recent TransPac, sans fingernail clippers. How do they expect us to function under these conditions ???

The horror ... THE HORROR !!!

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Yucky... and pointy! It's a potential terrorist threat!

What on earth were they thinking?

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
In the 80's I used to work in Jacksonville, FL. building galleys for airliners. Every so often I had to fly to the Boeing plant in Seattle. As my company was billed for any time that we held up Boeing's assembly line I usually carried a small 2 drawer Craftsman tool box as carry-on baggage. The rational for this was that if the airline lost my luggage I could still do my job. I had a key ring that had a pewter Luger pistol about 1-1/2 inches long as a fob. Going thru security in Jacksonville, I was informed that I couldn't take the key ring with me unless I removed the fob. I was in a hurry so I took it off of the key ring and threw it in the trash, then the security guard handed me back my 3 inch Buck knife and my toolbox with its assorted screwdrivers, knives and other tools, and told me to have a good flight.

My nine year old nephew has the perfect solution to airline security. He says that "since they can't be sure that nobody has a weapon, why not give everybody a weapon and let them watch each other". :D

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
gatordev said:
This is the same thought process that I've mentioned before when taking a civilian guest through a Marine base gate. I'll only show my ID, the dutiful Marine will ask for the passenger's ID. I explain that they are not military, to which I'm told, "That's okay, sir, I still need to see some form of ID." Um, so al Quaeda can't get a driver's license, college ID, or Baskin Robin's flavor of the month card?
I helped my cousin do a PCS move from San Diego to Chicago and we went on base and the guard didn't even ask me for ID. The time before that the guard assumed I was a petty officer like my cousin.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
My nine year old nephew has the perfect solution to airline security. He says that "since they can't be sure that nobody has a weapon, why not give everybody a weapon and let them watch each other". :D

Pure genius right there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
... Ahhhh ... the wisdom of children.

Airline Pilots have been sayin' that since 9/11 ...... i.e., let them (including the pilots) carry what they were carrying pre-9/11 ... 4" blades, screwdrivers, etc., etc.

You want to defend the cockpit?? Arm the pilots. Always ....

Believe it.