• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

On the Fence (Navy or Marine Corps)

Joeski

Hello Everyone,

I've been browsing Airwarriors for a couple months researching everything Navy and USMC. There is really some great info on here and thanks to everyone who contributed. The insider perspective is priceless information to OCS hopefulls like me.

Anyways, I take my ASTB in one week (12/23) and I am deciding which branch I want to join (Navy or USMC). I've looked for a thread regarding this matter but have been unable to find one (If there is one please give me a push in the right direction). I've talked to the Marine Corps OSO and plan on speaking with the Navy OSO once I take the ASTB.

I realize both Marine Corps and Naval Aviators classify as Naval Aviators but I'm assuming life is different in each branch. I know both Navy and USMC Aviators go to the same flight school(s).

My main question is how is life different as a USMC Aviator vs. a Naval Aviator once you hit the fleet? I realize this is a broad question but any tidbits of information from you experienced guys would be helpful.

Thanks!

Rg9

pilot
Marines require a lot more out of you. It doesn't mean you'll be a better pilot, just that their philosophy towards their officers is "every Marine Officer is an Infantry Officer". I *think* OCS may be a little longer for them, but the kicker is TBS (The Basic School) - 6 months of pretty intense infantry training. On top of that, some other requirements such as physical conditioning, etc. are a bit higher. Again, doesn't mean you're a better officer necessarily, just that the standards for a lot of things are higher.

That's just the officer aspect. As to flying... really depends what you fly. Both the Navy and Marines are predominately helos. However, Navy helos are more VERTREP/SAR/ASW oriented (read: moving cargo between ships, search & rescue, anti-submarine warfare) and Marines are more oriented towards support of ground forces (including cargo, personnel movement, and blowing things up). Marines tend to have older equipment (just how it is), but most of the aircraft I fly (Navy P-3s) are older than me so that's not universal. And with the Osprey and someday the JSF, they'll have some newer stuff to work with.

Yes, the flight schools are the same all the way through to the Fleet Replacement Squadron. I don't know anyone who argues that one service produces better pilots than the other. The Marines have had higher standards for the ASTB, but that doesn't mean you'll become a better pilot either. Again... Marines = high standards, but does not equal better pilots.

As to life in the "real world" post flight school... Marines will deploy to different places depending what you fly. Most likely, unless you fly jets, you'll be deployed on the ground in Iraq/Afghanistan/some other desert-like-place at some point. The Navy flies there too (I'm writing you from the ground in "the desert" at the moment), but most is from a ship and is focused on over-water missions (although, again, I'm flying overland now). There's a better chance you'll be living on a ship and flying over water in the Navy than in the Marines. But "better" is comparative; we both do it. The duty locations are different too. As to community within the squadron, Naval Aviation seems to attract a similar type of person, so I don't think you'll get too much of a difference between Marines and Navy... although us Navy folk tend to be more laid back ... usually...

Hope I helped a bit. Your question's kind of broad. Narrow it down a little and we can give some more tailored advice.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I echo Rg9's thoughts... I just wanted to throw a little my .02 in here too...

One thing to definitely disregard that you may hear from some is: "Well, if you don't know whether to join the Navy or Marines, then Marines aren't for you."

or similarly put, "If the Marines are for you, you'll just know."

Complete and utter BS. I know several individuals that were torn; all the way up to the time where they HAD to make a choice... The ones that chose Marines are all exemplary Marine Officers.

In general there is a different mentality between Naval and Marine Corps Officers.. It is easier to perceive than to describe, but it really is on an individual basis.

I also don't think you should pay total attention to any generalizations you may hear about personality differences... Things like "The Marines are more up tight and less laid back than their Navy bretheran." Stereotypes wouldn't exist if they weren't at least partially true, but they aren't the rule.

Sure there are some Marines that walk around shitting bricks that can't take a joke or let loose, but there are also some that are more laid back than most Navy guys are and vice versa.

As was stated earlier, the Marines do have higher physical fitness standards. Their officers are also expected to have the infantry officer mindset, but this stuff is outside of my knowledges, and a Marine should talk more specifically about it.

I think the best thing you could do to help you decide is find a Naval Officer Recruiter, see if you can get some face to face time with a Naval Officer (aviator) and a Marine Officer (aviator). Ask if you can 'shadow' them for a day maybe around the squadron.

Hope this helps.

Joeski

Thanks for the info guys! It's a great help.

Now to narrow it down...

- I know Marines can be stationed at an air base i.e MCAS New River, Miramar etc. and that is you 'home base'. By home base I mean that is where you live and train between deployments. Does the Navy work the same way? Do you get stationed at a certain NAS or are you constantly moving around?

- What does the standard float schedule look like? I've heard 9 months at sea, 3 months at home, is that correct?

- If you're a Naval Aviator aboard a carrier, do you fly daily to stay prepared? What if you're on the ground?

Best of luck in the desert Rg9!

Thanks to the both of you for your input.

yodaears

pilot
Thanks for the info guys! It's a great help.

Now to narrow it down...

- I know Marines can be stationed at an air base i.e MCAS New River, Miramar etc. and that is you 'home base'. By home base I mean that is where you live and train between deployments. Does the Navy work the same way? Do you get stationed at a certain NAS or are you constantly moving around?

- What does the standard float schedule look like? I've heard 9 months at sea, 3 months at home, is that correct?

- If you're a Naval Aviator aboard a carrier, do you fly daily to stay prepared? What if you're on the ground?

Best of luck in the desert Rg9!

Thanks to the both of you for your input.

1. The answer is yes and yes. You do get stationed at a specific duty station but you only stay for one tour then go somewhere else to do something else. So your "home base" will change from tour to tour (it is possible to draw duty at or near the same base for a follow on tour also). My point is this, yes you will have a duty station that you will call home between deployments and yes, you will move around a lot. Navy and Marine Corps are generally similar in this regard.

2. Deployment schedules are different for every community i.e. helos, jets, mulit-engine. Some communities deploy more often than others. It just kind of depends on what's needed around the world.

3. Deployed squadrons fly regularly according to operational necessity. Since I haven't been there yet that is about all the detail I can give you on that one.

Rg9

pilot

Agreed on all above. I think the 2 questions you need to ask, in this order too:

1. Do I want to be a Marine Officer?

I put it this way since it requires more of you to do Marines vice Navy. I have a good friend that has a family and really wanted C-130s (he got them, thankfully) because he wanted the more family-friendly lifestyle. He lamented to me, at times, that he wish he had known about P-3s, and would have maybe picked Navy to not deal with as much extra stuff you have to do as a Marine. On the flip side, there is a lot of pride in being able to do all that they do (it didn't matter that much to me, and I didn't want to deal with all the "extras").

2. What do I want to fly? And if I don't get that, what options would I be happy with?

Hopefully you get what you want, but that's not always the case. Do you really want to fly jets? If you don't get them, would you rather fly patrol aircraft down low looking for subs, or would you rather be out in the desert moving cargo around? That's just an example, but worth thinking about.

I'd also ask myself (as I do now with every decision): What would I regret? It's a thought process that yields some wise choices, IMO.

---
As to your questions here (a lot already answered)...

1. Navy/MC are the same, but some different bases (some are the same, like Kaneohe Bay Hawaii - one of the best stations in the US, btw).

2. Absolutely not. You're not deployed that much. P-3s, for instance, are 18 months home, 6 deployed. What gets you are the detachments, which may go out for a few weeks at a time here and there during home cycle. Some platforms are gone more than others, but I can't speak to specifics.

3. You need to fly regularly to stay current, but it won't usually be daily. The numbers that matter are flight hours, approaches, landings, and some other things specific to platform. There are also minimum numbers of flights within a certain timeframe (platform specific), but you're looking at 30 day+ training blocks. I've gone weeks without flying, and weeks flying almost every day. You will fly a lot more on deployment, though.

Joeski

What is an example of the 'extra stuff' you have to do as a Marine Officer other than the higher physical standards, TBS and the like?

I'd like to fly F/A-18's or EA-6B's but I realize whether or not you get F/A-18's / EA-6B's comes down to the needs of the Navy/USMC at a given time, and your capability and performance throughout flight school. I'd be happy flying anything though because my primary reason for joining is to be a Naval or Marine Officer.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
What is an example of the 'extra stuff' you have to do as a Marine Officer other than the higher physical standards, TBS and the like?

I'd like to fly F/A-18's or EA-6B's but I realize whether or not you get F/A-18's / EA-6B's comes down to the needs of the Navy/USMC at a given time, and your capability and performance throughout flight school. I'd be happy flying anything though because my primary reason for joining is to be a Naval or Marine Officer.

Devil-Dawg...

Dirty Squids...

This should answer your questions about Navy versus Marines...
Your Welcome,
Pickle

navy09

None
2. What do I want to fly? And if I don't get that, what options would I be happy with?

Another interesting question...if something happened that prevented you from flying, what would you rather do?

A) Drive a ship or sub, manage logistics/ supply processes.

B) Drive a tank, lead an infantry platoon.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Watch this video for a sampling of the "extra stuff"....;)

yodaears

pilot
Devil-Dawg...

Dirty Squids...

This should answer your questions about Navy versus Marines...
Your Welcome,
Pickle

Awww, low blow and you know it Pickle:D

Joeski, the extra stuff basically consists of TBS and having to do things like the CFT (Combat Fitness Test) in addition to the regular PFT. If you fly Marines, then chances are you're going to end up on the ground with a rifle at some point. Although lately that's been true of a lot of the Navy as well. The culture of the Marine Corps is different from the Navy. I'm not a good enough writer to portray what that difference/differences are over a forum. The post above regarding what you would rather want to do if it so happened that you couldn't fly is an important consideration. In fact, that thought process is why I ended up a Marine; I'd rather carry a rifle than be on a ship, simple as that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....that thought process is why I ended up a Marine; I'd rather carry a rifle than be on a ship, simple as that.

But you may well be carrying that rifle....on a ship! Just sayin'....

web_091206-N-2804C-051.jpg

web_091204-N-8655E-494.jpg

web_091116-N-2218S-223.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Another interesting question...if something happened that prevented you from flying, what would you rather do?

A) Drive a ship or sub, manage logistics/ supply processes.

B) Drive a tank, lead an infantry platoon.

Tanks are uber competitive, like 3 slots per TBS company so that's not probably gonna happen. Infantry... well... maybe.

Most of the NPQs and DORs that I'm seeing right now at MATSG are redesignated to ATC or AMO or Air Intel... Basically they are staying in the wing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
. If you fly Marines, then chances are you're going to end up on the ground with a rifle at some point.....In fact, that thought process is why I ended up a Marine; I'd rather carry a rifle than be on a ship, simple as that.

The whole "you'll end up carrying a rifle" thing gets a bit overdone in regards to joining the Marines. Certainly you have to be prepared to do that, but not even a majority of pilots have to "carry a rifle," at least not in the way I think you mean. Yes, now they've given me a carbine I have to lug to the aircraft, in addition to the pistol, but that's not the same. Almost 15 years now, and the only times I've touched a service rifle are at TBS, twice at the rifle range, and carrying it around since they started the carbine kick last year or so.

In short, I've spent a LOT more time on a ship than with a rifle.