• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OMG!! What happenz if ur sick?

Spacely11

USNA Class of 2016
Aspiring pilot here (haven't heard that one before)

Anyway, I've been sick for the past couple days and was thinking while llaying in bed. What happens if you get a cold while on duty for flying. I ask this because I know when I get a cold I get really congested in my nose and ears. I get pressure in my ears and can't pop em and stuff along with the sore throat and what not. I know it's not advised to fly commercial when your sick, especially if you got congestion so I was wondering what happens when you guys do get sick (or do you?) I know the extreme altitudes and g-forces can mess up some congested ears.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It all comes down to good headwork.

Run of the mill congestion will usually just get you scratched from the schedule for a couple of days with no need for a 'down chit' (medical grounding). Something a little more serious (flu, strep, etc.) will usually get you a down chit, which requires you see the doc before you can go flying. As always, this varies from squadron to squadron and flight doc to flight doc.

That being said, it's generally your call. If I feel I can make rapid climbs and descends without jeopardizing my ears and/or sinuses, I'm going flying.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
In the Training Command at least, if you're at all congested, go to medical. No harm, no foul. If you fly with a head cold and pop an ear drum (knew people who did it), you will be hard down for months. I'll add that if you come to the brief looking sick/distracted, it brings in some serious CRM issues into play.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I'll add that if you come to the brief looking sick/distracted, it brings in some serious CRM issues into play.
I think you mean ORM. No IP worth his salt is gonna take a haggard, coughing/wheezing SNA up just to get the X.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Emergency bottle of Afrin in your nav bag. It's not smart to fly with congestion, but if it happens suddenly and you're stuck at altitude with sinus block, it may just save your eardrum. But then go see the doc of course, because you're down for 24 hours.

Spacely11

USNA Class of 2016
Yea I was really curious about it as I can pop my ears kinda naturally without any maneuvers so when I get a cold they really bother me, so I couldn't imagine how it would be at altitude when I'm struggling night time down here!

BTW what's ORM? Sorry not familiar with the acronyms. And yea I use Afrin when in dire need.
Have you guys ever had a head cold and flew anyway? How'd you manage?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yes. I ended up with a sinus block. It fucking sucked. I shot a whole bottle of Afrin up my nose to clear. I started with the sniffles that morning, and by the middle of my flight in the last part of advanced advanced had full on flu symptoms, plus congestion. We ended up coming back early and working our way down nice and slow.

I don't recommend it.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
ORM is operational risk management. It's the overly processed and packaged hot dog version of common sense safety that we use every day.

As far as flying with a cold, you get a feeling for what you can tolerate while you're healthy, and are able to make the call yourself as you add experience. For instance, I'm willing to fly with more congestion in the Harrier than in the T45. Why? Experience with the cockpit pressurization systems has told me the T45 is way more rough on your head than the Harrier.

With all that said, if I'm sick, I ain't flying. No question.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Note that UMM is basing his flying with congestion decision on his experience. SNAs, you don't have enough yet, so err on the side of caution.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Note that UMM is basing his flying with congestion decision on his experience. SNAs, you don't have enough yet, so err on the side of caution.

First time I've ever been accused of making a cockpit decision based on experience.

Spacely11

USNA Class of 2016
Cool guys thanks fore the info and sorry you had to suffer. It sucks really bad and probably sucks even more when you have to fly. So do you get pressure in your head and ears when you don't have a cold? Do the G-Forces have a large impact on the congestion/pressure? What do you guys do to try and keep the colds away since the close proximity and what not?
Sorry for the dumb questions haha

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Cool guys thanks fore the info and sorry you had to suffer. It sucks really bad and probably sucks even more when you have to fly. So do you get pressure in your head and ears when you don't have a cold? Do the G-Forces have a large impact on the congestion/pressure? What do you guys do to try and keep the colds away since the close proximity and what not?
Sorry for the dumb questions haha

You keep mentioning g-forces and I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of g-forces in helo's, P-3's and E2/C2. I'm no doc but not so sure how pulling g's affects a person with a cold. Now T-34C, T-6A/B, T-45A/C, and tactical jets pull g's and that depends on what you're flying. Not to many g's in instrument flying for example. I don't know how it affects really as if I have a bad cold, I don't fly.