• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OLD NAVY: Traditional Customs & Procedures ... thread split

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Now I may not be 100% up on this being a zoomie but isn't the blast deflector supposed to face into the wind and not shoot you back down the deck?

ACTUALLY ... the JBD (left side of pix), unlike most herein reading this, does exactly what it's told. :icon_lol:
dsc01951mh9.jpg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
USS_Ranger_CV-4.jpg

Yup, that's what all those holes are for...I think that's A4's doing a FOD walkdown by himself too...:D

Speaking of OLD NAVY... Is that the Ranger? And what is that thing for? is it an early version of the net that they use nowadays to catch planes that can't trap?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of OLD NAVY... Is that the Ranger? And what is that thing for? is it an early version of the net that they use nowadays to catch planes that can't trap?
Yeah, it is .... CV-4 was the hull number, I believe. I don't know what the heck that is on the forward part of the flight deck -- blown up it just looks like a bunch of crates, tied down .... ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Or .... could it just be screens .... like this pix taken in GITMO, different view, roughly the same time period ... ????

020411yn4.jpg

Or .... could it just be screens .... like this pix taken in GITMO, different view, roughly the same time period ... ????

020411yn4.jpg

how about some sort of windspray deflector since the crews would have had to work on the deck while at sea, fueling and loading planes etc... maybe this deflected some of the stuff coming at them and then they lower to launch a/c :confused:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
how about some sort of windspray deflector since the crews would have had to work on the deck while at sea, fueling and loading planes etc... maybe this deflected some of the stuff coming at them and then they lower to launch a/c :confused:
Hmmmmm ... don't know about that .... it could be, though. More study required. It's gotta be something really simple ... I love the "old Navy". :D

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Read the link in the first post ... especially about the cards and how you were suppose to distribute them. This stuff was still in vogue when I was entering the Navy--- but was fortunately on it's way out. :)

My wife attended dinner at Quarters One, Quantico with the Lieutenant General and recieved "Parade Rest", a book full of calling card procedures and proper table settings for different occasions. It seems from another world, but I've referenced more than once already in my one year "career".

schwarti

Contributor
A bit of a threadjack, but while we're on the topic of the Old Navy - I picked up a used copy of My Love Affair with the Navy by the late Capt. Allan R. Bosworth. I thought it'd be an autobiography... it sort of is. Mostly, it's just awesome old stories from a guy who enlisted in the 20s and eventually worked his way to a commission. Some stuff he did, other stories were just things he'd heard about, but it's fantastic - literally could not put it down. Definitely recommend it to all of you fine folks.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
Hmmmmm ... don't know about that .... it could be, though. More study required. It's gotta be something really simple ... I love the "old Navy". :D
That netting looks like a little discouragement against unauthorized joyrides.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My wife attended dinner at Quarters One, Quantico with the Lieutenant General and recieved "Parade Rest", a book full of calling card procedures and proper table settings for different occasions. It seems from another world, but I've referenced more than once already in my one year "career".
It is from another world and another "military" ... but it's fascinating. Simpler times, to be sure. While daydreaming ... I sometimes "wish" I could go back to that "time" ... at least for a while, until I need to reheat something in the microwave, at least. :)

The old Army-Navy Club in Manila was like that: prim, proper, white linen, cocktails & receptions on the veranda overlooking the pool and the clay tennis courts ... and about as close as any of us will ever get to what it might have been like in the '20's or '30's in the U.S. Navy ... truly kinder, gentler times.

armynavymanilagc8.jpg

retnavycpo

Finally found it...

I finally found a picture I took of my former division officer's calling card. Keep in mind that prior to his joining the military, he had been a Russian Linguist for the United Nations. Read the card carefully...

Pete

Attachments

• calling card.JPG
    calling card.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 116

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I finally found a picture I took of my former division officer's calling card. Keep in mind that prior to his joining the military, he had been a Russian Linguist for the United Nations. Read the card carefully...

Pete

That is awesome.