• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OLD NAVY: Traditional Customs & Procedures ... thread split

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
socialcust.jpg

Calling?? Calling cards?? Receptions w/ the ladies??? W/OUT THE KIDS ??!! Wa-a-a-sss-sup wit dat ... ???

*sigh* A lost art .... :D

READ:
NAVAL SOCIAL CUSTOMS:)

-- check "CALLING" (social introductory visits including calling cards) and "RECEPTIONS - at homes"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Calling?? Calling cards?? Receptions w/ the ladies??? W/OUT THE KIDS ??!! Wa-a-a-sss-sup???

*sigh* A lost art .... :D

READ:
NAVAL SOCIAL CUSTOMS:)

-- check "CALLING" (social introductory visits including calling cards) and "RECEPTIONS - at homes"
Call me a snob if you want .......Aren't calling cards a little snobbish? ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Call me a snob if you want ...... aren't calling cards a little snobbish? ;)
Yes, I want ... you pasty, effite, eastern seaboard, blue-blooded, white gloved, calling card-in-silver-tray-at-C.O.'s-house carryin' Officer snob :) .... (I don't really "want you")

.... and yes, they "were" ... please note the emphasis on the past progressive tense of the verb ... and make sure your silver tray is near the door, just in case .... :)

MasterBates

Not to threadjack, but what is the deal with calling cards? I had some people act aghast at OCS that I did not know what they were, the etiquette lady at OCS spent about 30 sec on them, and I never heard about them again until I did not have one to put in the CO's tray.

At which again I was treated like an uncouth heathen redneck, yet nobody explained this. (and I wasn't the only JO without them either)

phrogpilot73

This calling card stuff confuses me; is this like a business card but fancier? :confused:
Yup. Name, rank, and service. That's it. I still have a shitload that say Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps. The only place they ended up was in the little sleeve on my blue brains, and my cover.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This calling card stuff confuses me; is this like a business card but fancier? :confused:
Read the link in the first post ... especially about the cards and how you were suppose to distribute them. This stuff was still in vogue when I was entering the Navy--- but was fortunately on it's way out. :)

Kinda like "afternoon high tea", Navy-style ...

Read the link in the first post ... especially about the cards and how you were suppose to distribute them. This stuff was still in vogue when I was entering the Navy--- but was fortunately on it's way out. :)

Kinda like "afternoon high tea", Navy-style ...

To be fair when you were in the Navy ships still had sails didn't they? :icon_wink

Yeah, enough to sail right up between your two exhausts and call "GUNS KILL", B-Eagle-Driver ... :D

dallasadversarysmalldd6.png

.... and THEN leave a calling card by doing a canopy roll ....

Hey what do you want from us Beagles we were designed for BVR, you know the thing A-4's run out of gas getting to :D

Now you want me to turn a tennis court on a dime. right !! :eek:

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
USS_Ranger_CV-4.jpg

Yup, that's what all those holes are for...I think that's A4's doing a FOD walkdown by himself too...:D

USS_Ranger_CV-4.jpg

Yup, that's what all those holes are for...I think that's A4's doing a FOD walkdown by himself too...:D

Now I may not be 100% up on this being a zoomie but isn't the blast deflector supposed to face into the wind and not shoot you back down the deck? :icon_lol:

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I didn't think JBDs were in style in the thirties either. :icon_tong