• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OLD AGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman

pilot
@ VT9 we were just briefed that the Marine Corps is no longer granting age waivers to new applicants for SNA. Thought I'd pass on the info. Apparently, HQMC has made a correlation between old age and attrition. Folks that are already in a pipeline (not sure who exactly qualifies for that) don't have a problem; but we will be the last of the grey haired aviators. Not sure what that means for prior enlisted and previous MOS SNAs. . .just passing what we were told. Might explain why folks aren't getting age waivers on the recruiting side (whereas they used to give them out generously). . .

Semper FI

Spin

SNA in Meridian
My recruiter seems to think that my waiver will not be a problem as I have decent scores, PFT and I just turned 28. I know this sounds kind of stupid but is it ANY age over the limit or is there a grey area? Thanks. And also could you tell me where this info came from as I would like to speak to my recruiter about this and see what/if anything can be worked out with regard to my package.

Peace,

-Spin

Rainman

pilot
No SNFO info.
He (Wing OPSO) was talking about folks getting winged after 29.5 earlier folks were talking about not getting the age waivers for 27.5 (for commissioning) so it all made sense. . .

They are doing what they can to avoid wingings beyond 29.5 for SNAs . . . doubt there is any maradmin or MCO regarding this . . just that the recruiting districts not giving waivers as was discussed elsewhere is in line with that. Probably just sticking more to the standard than that of yesterday.

Does it affect officers switching MOSs? How about prior enlisted wise guys?
Wouldn't think so, right?

I think the bottom line is that if you're accepted, you ought to be okay.

He also said the reasoning was the statistically it will help Marine jet attrition (according to HQMC) so who knows. . . .

Anybody know anybody at HQMC that can clear this up? LtCol Elliot said this was a recent development. . I'll ask him more if I run into him this weeek. .

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I'm a little confused with the 29.5 and the 27.5. Which one is it? I'm sure there is something that I'm not seeing here so please enlighten me. Thanks!

-Spin

Rainman

pilot
27.5 is a commissioning cutoff (i didn't have it, had age waiver. . candidates are saying they aren't giving those right now)

29.5 is a goal (or cutoff?) to get jet (or all?) SNA's winged by. . ..

Rainman

pilot
It seems to me that SNFO was always higher. . I thought like 30.5 (somebody on here must know). The Navy told me that was my only option once upon a time. ..

The 27.5 to get commissioned is a "policy". In the past it was typically waivered especially for priors. Crowbar, do you have your aviation guarantee?

dvl_dog_2531

Anyone know anything about age waivers for ground officers? Sorry this is off-topic a bit but it is a huge deal for me. Here's why: I am a prior enlisted and talking with a recruiter to re-enlist active duty in the hope of being accepted via ECP. I'm currently 31 and turning 32 in October.

My OSO states there will be no age waivers for OCC 184 and probably not for 185 either. In reading the MARADMINs and MCO there are age waivers available for ECP (thru 35 y/o) so I figured this was my best shot in going to OCS in the next year. I am hoping to ship in June.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Rayman

I just hope that this thread will not die until finally the issue is clear...Cz I'm just hoping that when my time comes to apply, they'll still grant me an age waiver.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Anyone have any more info on this. I discussed it with my recruiter and he hadn't been informed of any of this and still believes I stand an excellent chance in getting a waiver.

dvl_dog_2531

Spin-

1. How old are you
2. Where are located
3. Are you prior service
4. Do you have any "special" circumstances (VIP, nephew of the Commendant, etc)

Rayman

Originally posted by Spin
Anyone have any more info on this. I discussed it with my recruiter and he hadn't been informed of any of this and still believes I stand an excellent chance in getting a waiver.

Your success will be our's too. Any older guys here who happen to believe in thier capabilities will second me for that. Keep us posted Spin...

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Thanks Rayman ..... just gotta keep it goin.

And for dvl_dog, I just turned 28, no prior and I have no special circumstances. 7,8,7 on ASTB, good LOR's, flight time, and 278 PFT (24 pullups, 101 crunches and 21:31 run).

Status
Not open for further replies.