• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 08 boards

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
Yeah that video is great! I am really excited for the opportunity and the more I research the more I look forward to it! My recruiter said he could have me at ocs in dec. Anybody else headed out that way in dec? Getting excited I cant stop thinkin about it.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Hey guys, I had applied for SNA and SNFO. Got shot down for SNA but pro rec for SNFO. I decided that I am going to reapply. Any word if there is a dec board? Nov is a little early to get everything I need. Also will they send me my old packet back? LORS and transcripts? I think my astb was a little low, 49 5 6 6, and my motiv statement prob could have been better.:)

do what you want to do. if you truly believe you would much rather be a pilot than NFO then reapply, this is YOUR LIFE, settle for nothing less than what you want.

expect to write a kickass rejection letter fully explaining your feelings such as feel that your ASTB showing didn't reflect your true ability, want to include other things with your package, whatever else. then expect to write another kickass reapplication statement or letter fully explaining yourself again. as long as you demonstrate you have good reasoning and sound judgement you will not be looked down upon for reapply but make sure you got good reasons.

it is entirely possible to turn down NFO and reapply as pilot only just make sure your package is totally kickass on the reapply.

but make for damn sure your 100% in your decision with sound reasonings, you don't want to reject NFO and then not get picked up for pilot and sit there and go well damn, shouldn't have done that.

if you'd like to talk to someone who has actually done exactly what your contemplating doing send me a PM.

Flyer09

Final Select NFO
I'm pretty much going to echo everybody else's statements on here. I really really wanted SNA. I thought I had a good shot, and did have a good shot at it. Boards are going to become very very competitive! I was non-select for SNA but was Pro-Rec NFO. I was disappointed at first but then came to accept it and am really happy. My main goal was/is to become a Naval Officer. After that I knew I wanted to fly more than anything. SNA would have been killer but I've accepted my NFO selection and am going to go in and become the best NFO ever. My past flight training should help with some of the navigation and other parts of the NFO job and that should put me slightly ahead of the curve and maybe make me stand out. Then, if I don't get an opportunity to switch before API (has been known to happen, SNA's are short and they pull NFO's) I'll go out on deployment and put in a NFO-SNA transfer package. A pilot I just flew with is an instructor from the Reserves down in PCola and he said he has seen a few transfers come though, he calls them transvestfo's :D

You may be throwing away a great oppurtunity if you shoot down the NFO selection. However as others have stated it is your career and if you are really sure you won't be happy with an NFO position then you might want to reapply. The board might not look too favorable on you if you shoot it down. I can say that I thought about it as well, who wouldn't, however you need to make sure you carefully think about it and take your time. My OR was telling me that the next several boards are going to become very very competitive as a good chunk of the FY09 spots have been filled.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
(has been known to happen, SNA's are short and they pull NFO's)

SNA's are not short, NFO's are in high demand. NFO's are getting thrown into API as soon as they're IFS/BOLT-C complete where as SNA's get to rock a-pool for a month or more.

the NFO's i completed IFS with on a monday/tuesday started API that friday. i'm still waiting.

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
After a lot of research and discussing it with family, I have decided to go for it. I applied for it as my second choice knowing that it would be a blast but never really grasping the idea that it would soon be my career. The boards were probably very competitive and I know I undestimated my packet, but reguardless of all that I am accepting the pro rec with pride and excitement. From everything I have read here, Navy Aviation seems to be a very strong community and thats what I am looking for in a career. Thanks for all of your guys advice! It helped a ton in making this decision.

-Blake:D

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
After a lot of research and discussing it with family, I have decided to go for it. I applied for it as my second choice knowing that it would be a blast but never really grasping the idea that it would soon be my career. The boards were probably very competitive and I know I undestimated my packet, but reguardless of all that I am accepting the pro rec with pride and excitement. From everything I have read here, Navy Aviation seems to be a very strong community and thats what I am looking for in a career. Thanks for all of your guys advice! It helped a ton in making this decision.

Congratulations man, you are making a good choice. Anything you do as an officer in the Navy is going to be exciting and worthwhile. Hopefully down the road you will be such an impressive candidate that you get your opportunity to transfer to NA. If not, be the best NFO the Navy has seen.

Flyer09

Final Select NFO
BizLake

I think you are making the right decision as well. Turning down a chance to fly in and operate some of the most expensive hardware in the world is a big decision. Yeah it sucks you aren't actually doing the flying but if you strive to be the best and make favorable impressions with your CO and others in our squadron you can always put in a transfer package after your first deployment. Just think of this as a test of your character and of how much you want to be a Naval Officer.

I was in the exact same position as you were/are. I was upset that I didn't get SNA and I thought about reapplying. Then I started to think about it and talking with a fellow Naval Officer I decided it wouldn't be in my best interest to turn down the recommendation. I was told that the board might see it as slap in the face and show them that you really don't have a strong desire to becoe a naval officer if you don't get what you want. You should remember that about 60% of the NFO applicants recieved a non-select. So obviously the Navy saw something in your package that made them want to kee you in as an NFO over all the others!

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard anything, positive or negative, regarding my application for the October boards? I'm at the point of mentally preparing for rejection and plotting my strategy for reapplication. Is it usual for Intel boards to meet late in the month, or what?

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
Good luck occams! Have you called your recruiter? Dumb question you probably have. I had to call mine everyday because I knew he probably wouldnt call me. Good luck!

-Thanks everyone for all of the support!

Definitely go with NFO if you were a non-select for SNA. I applied for SNA, SNFO, and Supply. Clearly, my sights were set on SNA (which I was Pro-rec for) but had I only received NFO or Supply I would have gladly accepted either. Bottom line is you'll be an officer in the greatest navy in the world and you'll still be part of naval aviation. Good choice.